IGNORED

Scotty Cameron Putters - really worth it?

Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I thought I was doing pretty well putting (was averaging about 1.8 holes for a long stretch, a few months at least) but I knew in the back of my head that my putting stroke was primarily based on "feel."

My "technique" was to "pop" the ball with an accelerating force to get it to cover a distance gap. So the amount of "pop" I gave it was largely (almost exclusively) based on feel. I would pull the club head back about the same length for any gap, but would give it a stronger pop for longer lags.

I'm trying my darnedest to develop a true putting technique with the guidelines found in LSW. Making distance control with the same stroke every time and pulling the club head back farther and farther to cover longer and longer distances. Allowing gravity to accelerate the ball only, ball slightly forward in stance. 

I have been working on this stroke with my current cheap Yes! C-groove Natalie center mallet putter but it is causing me to absolutely hate this putter. I am SURE that the head is quite light. How much? I don't know.

I spent about 1 hour in Dick's trying different styles of lower-end putters. Couldn't find anything worth a lick.

I drove over to Golfsmith and spent probably and hour and a half on their practice green.

I told myself I would never buy a Scotty Cameron putter, but my goodness if that putter didn't feel like sweet cream butter... The one I like the most was the Futura 7m. I also like the Odyssey sabertooth but at $220 it wasn't too much cheaper and the Scotty Cameron was at least marginally better feel. 

So I started getting one of those "you get what you pay for" moments... but I never thought that logic could hold up for a different chunk of metal smacking a ball forward at low speed.

I'm sure there's a lot of people on here that would swear by their Scotty Camerons. I'm sure there are a lot of others that will say "just work on your technique because you're obviously a bad putter," and finally the group who thinks "you should get fitted." 

I wouldn't mind getting fitted, but what I'm worried about is having a different feel one day to the next. I have that with my current putter. Some days it feels okay off the face, some days it feels like garbage. That's because I'm not an expert putter. If I go with the Scotty Cameron, will that expertise gap be covered a little better? It sure felt like I could his-hit more on the face of the futura 7m than I could with my current. And if I went to a fitting session, I would worry that if I DIDNT get a SC and went with a higher end Odyssey or something, that it would be good that day and terrible feeling the next day. Then I would have just blown a bunch of money.

I checked out Edel fitting and it's in the same price point so I was thinking "maybe," but they didn't have a similar type of putter than the ones I liked.

Could really use some of y'alls opinions here.

Thanks!

Edit: I didn't mention exactly what the differences were between my current putter and the ones I was trying in the store. The best change I felt was how I was able to control pulling the club head back and to allow it to come down nice and evenly. My current putter I really struggle with this as I feel it twisting ever so slightly 75%+ of the time. I think this is driven by how light the putter is? The SC and the higher end Odyssey (both @ 350g+) were MUCH easier to control in this area; that I know for SURE (the one thing I know for sure about this whole thing).

My putter is also a 34-inch. I was looking at mostly 34 and 35 inch in the stores. standard grip lengths. The odysseys had the 3.0 slim super strokes on them, the SCs had their stock grips which actually felt great... like really great.

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

I'm trying my darnedest to develop a true putting technique with the guidelines found in LSW. Making distance control with the same stroke every time and pulling the club head back farther and farther to cover longer and longer distances. Allowing gravity to accelerate the ball only, ball slightly forward in stance. 

Yep, this is better.

If you still like the more "pop" feel. Try speeding up your backstroke a bit. Brandt Snedeker has a very short and fast putting stroke, but he doesn't accelerate through the ball. 

16 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

So I started getting one of those "you get what you pay for" moments... but I never thought that logic could hold up for a different chunk of metal smacking a ball forward at low speed.

Only if it's fitted for you. If you are going to shell out money on a SC then I would go to a fitter. 

18 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

I'm sure there are a lot of others that will say "just work on your technique because you're obviously a bad putter," and finally the group who thinks "you should get fitted." 

Bingo!

A poorly fitted putter can force a golfer to manipulate the putter.

A poorly fitted SC will putt just as poorly as a poorly fitted $50 putter. If they have the same-ish design. 

22 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

I wouldn't mind getting fitted, but what I'm worried about is having a different feel one day to the next. I have that with my current putter. Some days it feels okay off the face, some days it feels like garbage.

That's probably because your current putter doesn't fit you. Some days you compensate for it well on the green, and others you do not. 

24 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

The SC and the higher end Odyssey (both @ 350g+) were MUCH easier to control in this area; that I know for SURE (the one thing I know for sure about this whole thing).

Sounds like you probably need a heavier putter.

Did you look at Odyssey heavy putters, or Ping's heavy putters? That might be a cheaper option for you. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yep, this is better.

If you still like the more "pop" feel. Try speeding up your backstroke a bit. Brandt Snedeker has a very short and fast putting stroke, but he doesn't accelerate through the ball. 

Only if it's fitted for you. If you are going to shell out money on a SC then I would go to a fitter. 

Bingo!

A poorly fitted putter can force a golfer to manipulate the putter.

A poorly fitted SC will putt just as poorly as a poorly fitted $50 putter. If they have the same-ish design. 

That's probably because your current putter doesn't fit you. Some days you compensate for it well on the green, and others you do not. 

Sounds like you probably need a heavier putter.

Did you look at Odyssey heavy putters, or Ping's heavy putters? That might be a cheaper option for you. 

Yea, the Odyssey I was saying felt better than my current but maybe slightly less than the SC was also a 350g with additional weight slots. I can't remember the name of it though, I looked online and think maybe it was a "sabertooth" type model in the shape but the ones I found online didn't have weights so I don't think that's it. 

I definitely think a heavier putter is a must for me. I think you're right on point that some days I'm able to COMPENSATE for it well on the green, but other days I cannot.

I wonder if Golfsmith will throw in the fitting for free if I end up buying an SC putter from them? I'll have to check that out.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

2 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

I wonder if Golfsmith will throw in the fitting for free if I end up buying an SC putter from them? I'll have to check that out.

I would make sure the fitting is more than just them taking putters off the shelf and asking you to hit putts. I'm not even sure Golfsmith offers a putter fitting.  

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
12 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I would make sure the fitting is more than just them taking putters off the shelf and asking you to hit putts. I'm not even sure Golfsmith offers a putter fitting.  

PLEASE do more than this when being fit for a putter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

PLEASE do more than this when being fit for a putter.

I would definitely like to do a real fitting, I was looking for something like the SAM puttlab but when I search for that there's not much new info since 2010? :hmm: 

When I look online for putter fittings there's very limited people in my area that I can find that do putter fittings. I found Dana Radar golf school out of Charlotte (over an hour away, but that's fine) that does a putter fitting but it has no details on how.

Where's the best place to go look for what I'm wanting?

Thanks!

Price should never be the deciding factor when purchasing a tool. All golf clubs are nothing more than personal tools. 

The main factor should be if the tool does the job for the golfer. If a $300 putter does what you want, gives you the confidence to make putts, then that's the way to go. By the same thinking, if a $30 bin bargain putter gives you the same results, as the more expensive putter, then you have more coin to spend elsewhere. 

I have 3 SC putters that I don't use. They were gifts from my family,  and is the only reason I keep them around. I could never get comfortable using either of them.  

My everyday gamer is a cheapie "Zone 1" putter, that keeps me in the 28-30 putts per round area.  I'm sure I paid less than $40 for it several years ago, out of a used club bin.. I have had it tweaked to fit my stroke, and is a big reason I putt much better with it. Plus, my confidence level with it is quite high. Confidence, in my book, is a big deal in one's golf game. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Honestly, a Scotty Cameron won't help you putt any better than a $2 putter you find at a yardsale. But if having one gives you confidence, then go for it. If there is any club you should splurge on if it makes you feel good, its the putter. 

I used a rusty ass scotty cameron laguna for years. Great putter. But the offset got slightly bent open on it and ended up buying a used odyssey pro type #6 just to use while i sent the scotty back for an adjustment. Ive been using the odyssey ever since. I don't putt that much differently with either putter, but i do like the feel of weight in the odyssey i use a little better. 

I tried a sc the other day felt good wasn't a big fan of the blade design I used to light for me.   But then again I shoot an omen prophecy #5. And just started to figure it out.  Also it has 30g of weight and is super heavy.  But at 60$ I liked the feel and getting better with it

I am not fit for my putter but I've games SC putters for the last few years. Putted with a flow neck and didn't love it so switched to a regular plumbers neck. Games a circa 62 last year and this year I picked up the new Newport putter. Putting is probably the best part of my game so the putter doesn't necessarily give me the skills but it is what I like to use and because it is something I enjoy using I think it helps with the confidence aspect which, for me, is one of the most important aspects of putting is feeling confident behind the ball 

Putters, once you have a properly fit one, are all about personal preference. Once you have a putter style that you can reliably align and specs that you can smoothly roll putts with, the brand of putter is all down to whatever you like best. I know that an Anser style head with a single line near the back will provide me with reliable alignment and the standard specs for loft/lie allow me to roll the ball smoothly (which is nice). I personally like the feel of the Scotty Cameron putters so I have a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 that I've modified with custom paintfill (I plan to write up a formal tutorial once everything is finished up) and a pair of 20 gram circle T weights (my name starts with T, so I figured it's like putting my initial on it :-P) to get a slightly heavier head. I can putt just as well likely with an Anser or other similar putter, but I like having a pretty putter that feels nice.

guys and gals, I'm struggling finding a good fitter for a putter. I think the closest reputable place is a place out of Charlotte (about an hour and a half away). But I don't know what they do for fitting putters. Like others have said: I don't want to just smack a bunch of clubs around and see what I like. I wouldn't pay a dime for that. 

Could really use some help finding someone!

@iacas has a great point about being fit for a putter. Don't just take one off the rack and think that it is the perfect putter for you.

As for your question, @jkelley9, as others have said, it depends on whether it is fit. I got a dynamic full set fitting back in January and February... which included a putter fitting. I have nothing against Edel, Scotty Cameron's or Ping, etc. I actually almost got a Custom SC Newport 2 but I wasn't paying $400 for a putter. I ended up with Exotics because I liked the look at set up (my fitter determined, standard lie and loft were fine when I used a Super Stroke 5.0 but needed to be adjusted if I used anything thinner).

So in conclusion, yes they are worth it, if you get fit.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I knew the moment I hit putts in the PGA Superstore that the SC I liked was perfect for me.Even the misses seemed better than the others.I know ive used probably over 20 putters and except for the Oddyssey Versa 9 blade, nothing compares to the feel.I dont swear by clubs but with an M2 and SC Golo 3 putter, all I gotta do is hit  some greens.

I got fitted at a Golfsmith for an Edel putter at the beginning of last year and couldn't be happier.  I have much more confidence in my putting ability and I know how it is going to react when I make my putt.  It was expensive and it was also worth it to me. 

I have a friend that I play with that is a better putter than I am and uses an older Odyssey putter.  I have another friend that I have played with that uses one of the original Ping putters worth at least 1000 dollars.  I don't know why he uses it but he is used to it.  

Being worth it is all subjective.  What I can say is not subjective is how much your putting will improve by getting a proper fitting.  Pick the putter that works best for you with the money that you can afford to spend on it

I'd be quite interested to see what a Golfsmith putter fitting looks like lol. To be honest half the guys/gals that work there know less than most avid golfers and equipment junkies. That being said, if you're about the "feel" then make sure you have an open mind as far as manufacturers go. I went with a SC only because I wanted the traditional blade look with the ability to change the weights. I do like my putter but won't say it's any better than a entry level putter on the market, just has the capability to be adjusted a tiny bit. Also knew it's a product that will hold it's value if I ever decided to get rid of it and try something else. Good luck!

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

On July 15, 2016 at 1:03 PM, jkelley9 said:

guys and gals, I'm struggling finding a good fitter for a putter. I think the closest reputable place is a place out of Charlotte (about an hour and a half away). But I don't know what they do for fitting putters. Like others have said: I don't want to just smack a bunch of clubs around and see what I like. I wouldn't pay a dime for that. 

Could really use some help finding someone!

There are three in your state on this list. I know, it's a big state! I used the one in NH and he was terrific.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/100-best-clubfitters-2015-05

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Cure Putters also are quite customizeable. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!