Sign in to follow this  
nevets88

Challenge Tour Par 6 - 17 yards short of 800 yards

Note: This thread is 1325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 posts / 1039 viewsLast Reply

It's practically 800 bucks for all intents and purposes. So a GIR, is on in 3? Driver, wood, wood? Driver, wood, long iron, medium iron? What do you call a hole in one? A double albatross? :-D

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Assuming no advantageous bounces, and it isn't downhill  I'd need to hit driver, driver, driver to get a chance at an eagle putt (A good drive for me is 255-265).  Though playing it just for a GIR I could probably get by with 4 6 irons or Driver, 20* Hybrid, 20* Hybrid, Wedge or less as I'm not accounting for roll with the hybrids.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

It's practically 800 bucks for all intents and purposes. So a GIR, is on in 3? Driver, wood, wood? Driver, wood, long iron, medium iron? What do you call a hole in one? A double albatross? :-D

Why wouldn't GIR be on in 4 with two putts to make par? Probably driver, 5W, 5 hybrid, 7 iron for me. But in real life with a few more swings and swear words in between. 

18 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

Why wouldn't GIR be on in 4 with two putts to make par? Probably driver, 5W, 5 hybrid, 7 iron for me. But in real life with a few more swings and swear words in between. 

:doh:

I can't count. I meant 4. 

Hitting my average good shot (note:  this is better than my average shot) with clubs over the past year or so, GIR would require driver, 3W, 3W, 3H or 4I. 

Hitting my average shot, low likelihood of GIR.  Fortunately, my tees are probably a bit forward of the 800 yard pro tees :-) 

Ok, so a great drive, a great 3 wood, and a good 3 hybrid is on in 3. However, I'll be honest with myself here and say it's going to be legitimately a 4 decent to good shot to get on hole and that's assuming I don't completely screw myself on one of the shots.

Penati Par 6.jpg

It's about 30' downhill from tee to landing zone. 1st fairway is reverse tapered (gets wider as it gets farther from tee).

2nd shot landing zone ~15 feet downhill & relatively level from there to the green.

I don't have a shot at eagle, unless the 2nd fairway plays okay for a driver off the deck (it does look pretty wide).

So a more realistic look at par would be driver, 3w, hybrid, wedge.

3 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Jerk. :-P 

Ditto, my friend. I'd need one more 3W in there and a miraculous drive to start with to get an 8/7 iron shot at the green. But it looks like a lot of fun, and I'd be right there @saevel25, cheering you on as I watched your shots disappear into the great beyond. :-D

Being downhill, I'd imagine there'd be a nice view from the tee box.

This discussion reminds me of something a friend of mine said about playing Firestone South. This was a few weeks after John Daly reached the 16th green with a Driver and a 2 iron! My friend claimed he did the same thing, except for the fact that he had to sandwich a solid 3W in between!

A hole in one on a par 6 is called an Ostrich. Difficult, but not impossible. You only need a well trained dog, that catches the ball in mid air and delivers it in the hole. Could not be your own dog, that would be cheating, just a random dog that happens to be around when you hit this perfect tee shot :banana:

Note: This thread is 1325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!