IGNORED

Accidentally hitting into people...

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 2283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Strandly said:

Not sure, probably more than that.  Around 100 yards maybe.

That's extra safe, but I think 50-60 yards is pretty reasonable. I have a hard time hearing pitches that long land.

2 hours ago, Strandly said:

Yes, the "I didn't expect to hit it that far!" is a BS answer.

Especially when the shot goes over your head.

On 7/8/2016 at 4:12 PM, mcanadiens said:

For 99%, mistakes happen once in a while and most often when we are beginners. That said, I get pretty suspicious when it's someone that is a good, experienced golfer that just hit into someone. 

That is a fair point.

Some time ago, I joined a three-some that was stuck behind a four-hack logjam on the back nine of Community's Hills Course. The best among them was positively fuming over the slowpokes. Both carts seemed to roll back-and-forth across the fairway in front of us. After 10 minutes or so, the ace lost his temper. Teed one up and launched it over their heads and 100 yards past them. I thought he was messing around until he actually hit the ball.

And that was more productive than driving up to ask to play through?

As it was, the hacks appeared to have no idea what-so-ever. There was no visible reaction.

That's probably the best way to react to they guy who is trying to 'send a message' like that.

The guy didn't do it again for the remaining four holes or so, but he wasn't acting real contrite about it either. Those guys are definitely out there.

True enough, and I have met more than my share.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

I did it just 2 weeks ago and the other group totally over reacted in my opinion. 

They were a slow group and I was impatient but they had cleared the par 3 green and were standing by the next tee. 

I hit my shot and pushed it so it was heading right towards them but way short.  I lost sight of it until I heard it hit the cart path. It bounced really high and landed right near the next group - landed probably just a few feet away. 

They picked it up and threw it back at me lol. I apologized profusely but they were pissed.  I can understand that - it still was an honest mistake, though

I've been hit into several times.  The worst one was a high school kid who hit his par 3 tee shot while we were putting on the green.  He came up and apologized.  We were not pissed, really, but there is no excuse for that.  I asked him - did you accidentally hit your practice swing or something?  He sheepishly said his buddy told him to hit since he couldn't hit the green anyway, lol it was a short hole, too  

36 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

... they had cleared the par 3 green and were standing by the next tee. 

I hit my shot and pushed it so it was heading right towards them but way short.  I lost sight of it until I heard it hit the cart path. 

I agree that they over reacted.  At the same time, the shot was heading toward their group and the ball's flight was lost.  Better to yell "fore" when a ball is headed toward someone and no one is sure where the ball is.  As the example shows, odd bounces can result in close calls.  I can't recall anyone ever becoming angry over a "fore" that did not result in a close call.

I am certainly not perfect in this regard and have created some close calls in the past.  This entire discussion just underlines for me to be a bit more liberal in my "fore" calling.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I agree that they over reacted.  At the same time, the shot was heading toward their group and the ball's flight was lost.  Better to yell "fore" when a ball is headed toward someone and no one is sure where the ball is.  As the example shows, odd bounces can result in close calls.  I can't recall anyone ever becoming angry over a "fore" that did not result in a close call.

You're totally right except I wasn't thinking about the cart path - without which it wouldn't have gotten close to them. 

I actually apologized for not telling fore - citing that reason. 

But you're right tho. In future I would/will yell fore.

It was the end of the day and the course marshal was playing a practice round behind us...he was standing right behind me when I hit that shot. He didn't yell fore or say anything to me about it...although I did tell him right away I was going to go apologize.  

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Upvote 1

Crap happens on the golf course...you accidently hit into others, they accidently hit into you.  I have hit the ball into an ajoining fairway close to others playing that fairway and have had same happen to me....who care????  Apologize and move on.  It is not raising your blood pressure over...Now, if you are an idiot and intentionally hit into a slow group in front of you, you reap what you sow....

Edited by Osnola

On 7/9/2016 at 3:14 PM, parman said:

If a ball is hit into me I just hit back, simple remedy. 

That's a great way to get your ass kicked on a golf course...not sure that's a simple remedy lol

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

On 7/9/2016 at 11:50 PM, Strandly said:

Not sure, probably more than that.  Around 100 yards maybe.

... Seriously? 100 yards? So I guess from now on I'll just stand on the tee until the group clears the green on every par 4 and quite a few par 5s if you expect me to give a 100 yard leeway on top of my best drives. I mean, I've had a few 340-350 drives....

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

41 minutes ago, Shooting29 said:

I bet everyone in the wait camp cries about slow play too.

Yeah, I mean it's easy to say 'wait'...but if you're sitting 350 yards out on a par 5 when they're on the green because you might end up within 100 yards of them, then you're waiting for the green to clear...then you mishit your shot and spend 5 minutes looking for it, hack out, finally make the green...and boom, there's 10 minutes added to your hole right there. Not to mention the fact that you end up looking like an idiot lol

What about when the green clears and they move their carts over 12 yards to the next tee? Should you wait until they tee off and move, too? I mean there has to be some sort of common sense middle ground...

Ryan M

2 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

That's a great way to get your ass kicked on a golf course...not sure that's a simple remedy lol

I did that once to a guy in my league who had hit into me for the fourth time that season. I actually launched it into the woods. This one went between my feet and ball as I was addressing the ball. He always made some lame excuse. But it was really because he was an ass.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I did that once to a guy in my league who had hit into me for the fourth time that season. I actually launched it into the woods. This one went between my feet and ball as I was addressing the ball. He always made some lame excuse. But it was really because he was an ass.

Hitting into the same person four times in a season is inexcusable. Definitely an ass!

Ryan M

4 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

Yeah, I mean it's easy to say 'wait'...but if you're sitting 350 yards out on a par 5 when they're on the green because you might end up within 100 yards of them, then you're waiting for the green to clear...then you mishit your shot and spend 5 minutes looking for it, hack out, finally make the green...and boom, there's 10 minutes added to your hole right there. Not to mention the fact that you end up looking like an idiot lol

I posted this story in another thread, but one of the few altercations I've had on the course Involved me waiting for the fairway to clear before teeing off.

The group ahead was on the fairway at a spot I'll hit to maybe 1 out 10 times. Easy decision to wait. But this couple pulls up while I'm waiting and the husband yells "go ahead, you'll never reach them". I tell him I do hit that far and that another minute isn't going to hurt anyone. He yells back something, I offer to let him play through but he declines. The fairway clears and I slice my drive 50+ yards short of where they were.

I wait for him after I finish the hole to explain and he begins to apologize as he pulls up. Tells me his wife called him a dumb@&#t for saying anything in the first place. We shake hands and laugh about it. But I'm sure to this day his side of the story is a bit different than mine.

Jon

I did this on Saturday actually.  Playing a 332 yard par 4 with a good wind at my back.  I've caught a few good ones that were 275, 280. My drives that are hit well go about 260 or a little less.  Well I managed to hit the farthest drive of my life and had it roll into the sand trap next to green while the group was putting. Went to apologize and I almost couldn't get the apology out because they were all saying what a great shot it was. Very nice guys.

I once hit into the group BEHIND ME.  There's a par 3 where the tee box is maybe 40 yards to the left of the green of the previous hole.  It's not a difficult hole but there is a large rocky ditch that sometimes has water in it.  The ditch starts at the end of the tee box and is 30 yards or so to the other side. I bladed my 6 iron and the ball went shooting at a downward angle into the ditch. Hit a rock absolutely perfect and came screaming straight back at me.  Flew over my head, landed behind us, and rolled across the previous green.  I said sorry but these guys were not so nice.

40 minutes ago, goatbot said:

I did this on Saturday actually.  Playing a 332 yard par 4 with a good wind at my back.  I've caught a few good ones that were 275, 280. My drives that are hit well go about 260 or a little less.  Well I managed to hit the farthest drive of my life and had it roll into the sand trap next to green while the group was putting. Went to apologize and I almost couldn't get the apology out because they were all saying what a great shot it was. Very nice guys.

I once hit into the group BEHIND ME.  There's a par 3 where the tee box is maybe 40 yards to the left of the green of the previous hole.  It's not a difficult hole but there is a large rocky ditch that sometimes has water in it.  The ditch starts at the end of the tee box and is 30 yards or so to the other side. I bladed my 6 iron and the ball went shooting at a downward angle into the ditch. Hit a rock absolutely perfect and came screaming straight back at me.  Flew over my head, landed behind us, and rolled across the previous green.  I said sorry but these guys were not so nice.

How can someone be mad at that par 3 shot? Like you in any way intended to hit a shot behind you. Proves the point that some people just like to get pissy.

P.S. Just played a course in Vegas (first time here...played Desert Springs I think)...man that was fun. Golf is different out here for sure haha

Ryan M

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I posted this story in another thread, but one of the few altercations I've had on the course Involved me waiting for the fairway to clear before teeing off.

The group ahead was on the fairway at a spot I'll hit to maybe 1 out 10 times. Easy decision to wait. But this couple pulls up while I'm waiting and the husband yells "go ahead, you'll never reach them". I tell him I do hit that far and that another minute isn't going to hurt anyone. He yells back something, I offer to let him play through but he declines. The fairway clears and I slice my drive 50+ yards short of where they were.

I wait for him after I finish the hole to explain and he begins to apologize as he pulls up. Tells me his wife called him a dumb@&#t for saying anything in the first place. We shake hands and laugh about it. But I'm sure to this day his side of the story is a bit different than mine.

I don't understand this mentality.  People rush others to hit their drive or 2nd shot when the group ahead is on the fairway and within potential range of getting hit into when they are all going wait for the green to clear anyway.  

If the group in front is playing really slow and you want to push them, that's one thing but in most cases it's that the course is backed up and the risk of hitting into someone so you can wait just isn't worth it.  

Joe Paradiso

I have only done it twice ... felt really bad about it.

I did it once when I did not realize it, because I sliced over some trees ... the guy yelled at me and kicked my ball, but I honestly did not know because I could not see the ball.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I did this a couple rounds ago. I was playing alone and stuck behind a pair of ~50s. I'm not very good but I do play fairly quick. Anyhow I was waiting at the tee. The hole was a blind dog left, ~400 yards or so. I knew I was close to them cause I had been right behind them for a while now. I didn't see them anywhere but still I waited a good 5-10 minutes at the tee. I honestly thought they both hit good drives and were on the green because I still hadn't seen them. So I teed one up and let it rip. As I'm losing sight of my ball around the treeline I see them come out from behind some trees to the right of the fairway and start heading toward where my drive went. By the time I got to my ball they had already hit their approach. I felt bad but I honestly thought they were on the green at that point because I hadn't seen them at all. My ball was about 10 yards behind the one guy's second shot. They didn't say anything to me but I did get a couple mean looking stares. I was sure to give them more room for the final 3 holes after that one. Had I gotten closer to them I would have apologized but they did pick up their pace so that was nice. I definitely wasn't trying to be one of those jerks though, it just sort of happened that way.

9 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

... Seriously? 100 yards? So I guess from now on I'll just stand on the tee until the group clears the green on every par 4 and quite a few par 5s if you expect me to give a 100 yard leeway on top of my best drives. I mean, I've had a few 340-350 drives....

What can I say, I'm a beast.

Anyway, 1.) I said AROUND 100 yards. and 2.)  this is basically after the group has moved on from their second shot which isn't unreasonable at all because they're still gonna be putting or hitting their approach shots by the time I'm ready to hit.

You sound like one of these people who likes to hurry up and wait.

Note: This thread is 2283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!