IGNORED

My son loves the M2 driver, but I can't afford it. Need ideas for a similar used driver.

Note: This thread is 2820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone, This is my first post in the forum. I am here because my 14-y-o son is an avid golfer, and I need driver advice.

My son has been playing golf since he was 6. Neither his dad nor I play golf really. He picked it up on his own after playing Mario Golf on his Game Boy. He started hitting balls with sticks, so we got him plastic clubs, which he wore out in 3 days. At age 7, he wanted to be just like Tiger, so he was dying to compete. He played his first tournament when he had just turned 7 and I think he placed 7th out of 14 boys. Soon after, we moved to Nashville and he played the TGA Tour every summer and did pretty well. (I caddied so I did learn some stuff.)

He has a hearing/speech disability (APD - Auditory processing Disorder) that made it hard for him to make friends when he was little. Golf was great for him because it gave him confidence and he made friends through golf. The kids respected him for his talent and kindness and looked past his speech.

After 4 years in TN, we moved back to New England, and he kind of lost his motivation. He'd play a couple of courses a year with The First Tee, but he didn't have the passion that he used to. (Honestly, Tiger's infidelity issues and attitude disappointed him, and that had something to do with it.) Now he's going into high school and can try out for the team, and he seems to be excited about golf again and has been practicing quite a bit!

His clubs were all too short. He's in men's clubs now, and I find myself in the position of getting new clubs. His dad and I are divorcing right now, but still living together. It's very difficult and it's been hard on my son and his little brother. Money is really tight. I am just hoping I can get him the clubs and equipment that he needs and will feel confident with. (His old clubs were US Kids Golf Tour & Ladies' Nike Dymo driver & wood cut down.)

I purchased a set of irons off Craigslist. They are Titleist DCI 822 OS, and he seems to like them. ($50 for the set - great deal!) The set is missing a sand wedge, so I need that. I also need a driver and 3 wood, and he really wants a specific Odyssey putter. (Not to mention a bag, shoes, etc.)

Today we went to a local golf shop that has a virtual golf thingy (I don't know the term, sorry) and he tried out some different club heads. He hit well with the M2 driver, R flex, 10.5. The tech said something about "one notch from +2" or something, but I don't know what that means. He was hitting at 130-140 yards. (He's 5'7" and a string bean.)

I cannot afford $400 for the M2. Can anyone suggest a club that is affordable that perhaps I can buy used? How about a decent 3 wood? 

Thank you so much for the advice! :)

PS - I can upload a video of his swing from today if that helps. 

• Upvote 1

@macksmom, welcome to The SandTrap! I love that avatar pic, great face from your son lol...Wow, what a story, sorry about the divorce. 

My buddy just picked up a brand new M2 online for a little over $200, I can see where he got it from? Maybe talk to the ex and see if you two can contribute together for the benefit of your son?

I would send you some of my used stuff for free if you wanted but I'm not sure how he'd hit them - driver and three wood.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@colin007 How nice of you! Thank you. I like your avatar too. I love Alex Grey art!
I've been looking online. I have a saved search on Ebay to let me know if anything new comes up for sale. 

PS - It seems most people use a non-photo for their avatar, so I may change it. 

Here are 2 videos from today. He's a little off balance because the driver is at least 3 inches longer than he is used to - plus he's a bit out of practice. He did good though! At least I think so. ;) What do I know? 

Try to find a Play it Again Sports as well. They have tons of golf stuff usually and should be able to pick up a sand wedge and a bag. I got a great sixty degree lob wedge for like 10 bucks that I love. Can also check on Craigslist for golf items but of course be careful who you buy from and where and make sure to bring someone with you. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

@Gator Hazard
Good idea! We had one in the next town over, but they closed. It looks like the closest one is in Reading, MA, which is about a 50 min drive. It might be worth it though. Thank you. :)

Good luck to you! Divorces are really tough.

Some thoughts (from someone who hasn't bought a brand new club in a long long time).

Buying new clubs isn't necessary unless you are playing at a really high level. So my suggestions would be to buy used, a couple generations or more old (a couple years). I buy off globalgolf.com, there are no weird ebay type issues, they are really cheap, and even the value-grade pieces (which I buy) are in fine shape for normal golf. You may have to get a new grip (maybe $8 at golf galaxy or a golf shop), that's about it. 

Since he likes Taylormade, maybe a Jetspeed or SLDR driver, maybe $50. Maybe $30 for a fairway wood. Similar specs to the M2 he tried. An older Titleist vokey or Cleveland wedge, maybe $30 each. Classic wedges that fit in most any bag. He can help you with the choices.

Putters are, imho, a big ripoff. I have an old ping model, but you can spend several hundred for a putter but not worth the money to me. Maybe a used putter from a bin at a golf shop if he really needs a new one.

Maybe your husband's buddies have some odd clubs laying around that he can have. Maybe grandparents? Uncles? And I'd sure talk to the pro at the golf shop and see if he has any advice that makes sense.

Those clubs should get him to break 80 easily if he puts the effort in. If he does, maybe then you go for nicer clubs. If not, you haven't spent a ton and he has some clubs to last him for awhile. No need for new clubs all the time.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Steve

2 hours ago, macksmom said:

He was hitting at 130-140 yards. (He's 5'7" and a string bean.)

I meant 230-240 yards! (I guess I am still stuck in the past when he was little and finally hit 100 yards.)
I can't seem to edit the post. 

Your son has definite potential. He has a great athletic move through the ball and you can't teach Gumby-like flexibility like that. His natural athleticism and coordination will help him immensely. 

Btw, the Golf Galaxy near me has a used clubs section, not sure if there's one near you. 

1 minute ago, macksmom said:

I meant 230-240 yards! (I guess I am still stuck in the past when he was little and finally hit 100 yards.)
I can't seem to edit the post. 

I believe it. He's got good speed. Btw you won't be able to edit after a certain length of time passes, not quite sure how long that is.

Colin P.

@MrFlipper
Thanks for the suggestions! I totally agree. He's been playing off loaner clubs from our local The First Tee office. They have been really helpful over the years. I thought his last set was the US Kids Golf one, but he reminded me that his clubs are all mismatched. He played okay while he had them, but not great. I know he'd love to have a beautiful set of clubs (and he loves the good brands), but he is extremely grateful for anything. 
And yeah, divorce is hard. We've been together for 22 years. I still can't believe this is happening... that something so perfect could go so wrong. I feel blindsided. But I know we'll be okay once we get through it. I have to stay positive. 
Thank you again for the advice. 

@colin007
It looks like the closest Golf Galaxy is about an hour away, but it's an easy drive. I may check it out. 
Thank you so much for the kind comments! I give him all of the credit. He was not blessed with golf parents or grandparents... or anyone who golfs. Sometimes I feel like he deserves better. I do what I can, but I feel bad that he doesn't have the support in the game that other kids often have. Thankfully, we have had some people and coaches step up and give him a lesson here and there, or take him out for a few holes. I'm thankful for The First Tee as well. Down in Nashville, it was very reasonable money-wise. (Not quite so much here in NH.) We do have a local course here that has a junior program where we pay for day clinics, but he gets to play the par 3 for free all year. The owner is nice and lets him go on the main course one in a while when it's slow. :)
Thanks again!

@iacas - Yes! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Mack is so excited. I honestly don't think he will be able to go to sleep now. I may not either! ;) I was worried more about the driver than anything else.

Here's a list of what he's hoping for. (He's a righty.)

-----
A SW to go with his Titleist 822 OS wedges (But doesn't have to be the same. He will live. His current irons have steel shafts.)
A 3 wood. (I have no idea on what to get.)
A hybrid. (He has a 3 and 4 iron, but he doesn't seem confident about using them?? He's used to a hybrid.)
Odyssey Putter  (He likes the White Hot Pro 2.0, but he does have a putter already that will work. The Odyssey is a 'want" not a "need".)
Golf shoes (He's got his eye on some Nike ones he tried on today. He's a size 9-9.5 mens. But again, it's a "want". Any shoes will do as long as they aren't "dorky".)
A bag (The store we were at had some generic ones on clearance for $70, so we might get one there.)

By the way, here's the young man we're talking about. One taken a couple of months ago, and one taken during that first tournament when he turned 7. 

Thanks again, everyone! You've been so helpful. I really appreciate it.

13239938_10154211113342250_1413809083192954235_n.jpg

1786_10153922106757250_8531622588355679436_n.jpg

You don't need to buy new. Used is great and much less expensive. Many golf shops will have used clubs and good ones at that. From iron sets to wedges, loose irons, drivers etc. Find a golf shop that has monitors and have him try stuff out.

On 7/8/2016 at 5:27 PM, macksmom said:

@colin007 How nice of you! Thank you. I like your avatar too. I love Alex Grey art!
I've been looking online. I have a saved search on Ebay to let me know if anything new comes up for sale. 

PS - It seems most people use a non-photo for their avatar, so I may change it. 

I'm a huge eBay fan for this stuff. Golf stores just don't offer the choices on used clubs. I did a search on sold M2's and see them going in the $300's, so this must be a brand new model I guess. Not sure if the link below will be readable.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=taylormade m2 driver&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I didn't realize how pricey Taylormade stuff was. My Cobra Fly Z (which Ricky Fowler won with) was a lot cheaper.

Edited by gregsandiego
typo

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Check for a budget golf in your area I got a pair of Nike shoes for 65$ a sand wedge for 30$ and a driver for 160$ And a putter for 25$.   At golf galaxy near me they have cobra fly z and Nike speed  drivers on sale for 199$ not all crazy adjustable but still very nice pieces 

2 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I'm a huge eBay fan for this stuff. Golf stores just don't offer the choices on used clubs. I did a search on sold M2's and see them going in the $300's, so this must be a brand new model I guess. Not sure if the link below will be readable.

---

I didn't realize how pricey Taylormade stuff was. My Cobra Fly Z (which Ricky Fowler won with) was a lot cheaper.

Yeah, the only reason I was looking for something like the M2 is because we went and hit balls at a simulator in a store, and the M2 really seemed to work the best for him. They tried all sorts of club heads and shafts.

25 minutes ago, Gfleck067 said:

Check for a budget golf in your area I got a pair of Nike shoes for 65$ a sand wedge for 30$ and a driver for 160$ And a putter for 25$.   At golf galaxy near me they have cobra fly z and Nike speed  drivers on sale for 199$ not all crazy adjustable but still very nice pieces 

There's no Budget Golf here, but I do like their site. I may get some things from there. There is a Galaxy Golf an hour away, so maybe I'll check that out. Thank you!

Note: This thread is 2820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!