IGNORED

Is Walking Your Dog on Golf Courses Dangerous?

golfdu
Note: This thread is 1472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
On July 11, 2016 at 9:03 AM, RH31 said:

No way I would walk my dog on the course. There are so many chemicals applied throughout the year, I just can't believe it would be safe.

I've seen a lot of superintendents with a faithful dog that has free reign on the golf course, and I know some golf courses use dogs to chase away the geese… so I'm not sure the pesticides are a big issue, or the super's dogs wouldn't be out there.

Heck, the super has a dog at Chautauqua Golf Club.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/10/2016 at 2:21 PM, golfdu said:

But I have some concerns, which is golf courses keeping their grass fresh with pesticides. Does almost every golf course use pesticides for their grass? And if so, will it be dangerous for the dog to walk on and make her sick?

Almost every golf course will have signs posted (it might be a requirement, I just know every course I've been to posts it at the entrance and the front counter) if they have recently sprayed a pesticide or an herbicide on the course. If it has been recently sprayed and your dog enjoy munching on grass (my Bernese used to enjoy snacks of grass, which were shortly returned to the lawn afterwords) I would hold off for a little while before playing with the dog on the course just to prevent them from eating grass that had recently been treated.

As for the concerns about walking on the grass, I wouldn't be worried about it. If you want to make sure it's fine you could rinse/wash the paws of your dog once you've finished your round (most courses have hoses to wash carts that they would let you borrow if needed). Overall though it wouldn't be any worse than if you were to walk your dog on the grass of most any public park. In my city, at least, the pesticide/herbicide schedule is the same for the parks as it is for the golf courses since both are managed by the same division of the city. 

The herbicides/pesticides, however, should not harm your dog to walk on. The course I previously worked at had an assistant superintendent who had a black lab that was with him all the time on the course. Every morning you'd go out and see him driving from green to green, to cut pins and water, and you'd see Ace chasing behind the cart. The dog loved the exercise and being out on the golf course, with no ill effects even on the weeks when herbicide and pesticides had been recently applied.

As for the idea of whether or not a dog "belongs" on the golf course, it is a non-issue (as you probably already know) for service animals. Coincidentally I actually had a service dog come into the pro shop I work at while I was typing this response, which was pretty funny timing. The only issue I could see you potentially having is that your dog may be startled when you swing a golf club near it, so I would make sure to double check that it's okay with you swinging somewhat close to it before you head out and play. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 years later...
On 7/10/2016 at 11:06 PM, Shooting29 said:

Not true at all. We realize some people don't know the joy of the love and companionship a dog brings to life. But that is different from the OP's dog. His dog is a service animal and is legally permitted everywhere the OP is regardless of signs stating otherwise. Or your feelings on the matter.

I realize this is a really old post just just an FYI, this dog is not a legal service dog, and “certificate” is a scam and fake, he admits to only claiming the service dog part to get into apartment buildings . He can not state the tasks the dog is trained to preform so therefore no, he is not legally protected 

On 7/11/2016 at 10:13 AM, DaveP043 said:

Even though they're technically trespassing, I'm sure there would be a significant lawsuit if someone was injured.  

I don't know the exact details as I have only heard the rumors from locals, but apparently one of the courses near me is somehow considered a public park due to whatever the process they used to get the votes necessary for the county to purchase the property. I occasionally see walkers/joggers and people walking their dogs out on it.

I think they're stupid but that's an entirely different topic.

On 7/11/2016 at 3:14 PM, DaveP043 said:

The dog's handicap was too high, we have strict rules about who gets to play with us.

This is a blatant lie, as I have played golf with you 😜

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I would say sure take your “service dog” and make sure you check with the course to see what their policy is about having the dog on the course.  I’m sure your dog is well behaved but many people don’t know how to behave around a service dog. That may be the bigger concern with courses.  Just my opinion.

As someone that has been bitten by multiple dogs, I really don't like seeing this. I'm not afraid of dogs anymore like I was when I was a kid, but in my head they are still semi-dangerous and a hazard. Plus they could bark or waggle during my backswing and that alone is rude. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I play early, and run into dog walkers. Some are polite, and do their best to stay out of my way, and some look at me like I'm bothering their dog walking. The course is for golfers, and the sidewalks in the neighborhood are for walkers. Our course has a rule against folks walking dogs, but it's not enforced. We even had one lady bring her dog to play in a creek directly in front of a green while we were waiting to hit.

• iacas changed the title to Is Walking Your Dog on Golf Courses Dangerous?
  • 3 months later...

Well I'm going to tell you that being under the Covid-19 "stay at home" order my course is closed. I do take my dog (pit bull/Labrador mix) to the course and run huh!! she is getting her squirrel and bird life ON. She is able to run from tree line to tree line. I do keep an eye where she does her business nobody wants dog poop near your chip shot!!! I usually am able to walk 5-6 holes and by time we get to vehicle the tongue is out. Personally I love dogs but to much distraction for me while playing.. 

Over here this is quite normal. You do pay a couple of bucks extra for your dog and it has to be on a leash at all times. If you get distracted by dogs then I guess you suck at golf...

Note: This thread is 1472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!