IGNORED

Maybe buying a used driver without being fitted...

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know we preach fitting (and I agree) but I would like to get into this driver with the possibility of replacing the shaft later if I need to. Deal is about two hundie less than brand new and I won't be able to test them out before the deal ends. Would you gamble if you are 14 handicap or lower, or wait to fitted? I really want to be fitted for it but...any opinions?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I know we preach fitting (and I agree) but I would like to get into this driver with the possibility of replacing the shaft later if I need to. Deal is about two hundie less than brand new and I won't be able to test them out before the deal ends. Would you gamble if you are 14 handicap or lower, or wait to fitted? I really want to be fitted for it but...any opinions?

If your swing speed is fast I wouldnt. If youre around the average club golfer at 80-90mph you can game anything it might not be optimal but you can game it. Assuming you have a rough idea of what loft you need.

With my limited experience.

Go ahead and buy it.  If the head is adjustable, that will make fitting easier.  If you want a new shaft, some pros at courses would be willing to make a deal/trade for their rental/demo club's shafts (that is if they have the club you are buying).  But, if you have to buy a whole new shaft for it, just remember that they can get quite pricey these days.  If you buy it and it turns out to be a bad fit overall, it shouldn't be too hard to re-sell.

However, if you are a golfer with high swing speed, like 115+, don't buy it.  You'll want to look more at low spin drivers, and these deals probably aren't for those types of drivers.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Is the shaft one that should fit your swing?

If the driver is close to a like new condition and a replacement shaft would cost you a lot less than $200, I don't think there is a problem.  But if you end up spending more than $200 to get it right then it is not a good gamble.

John

9 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

Is the shaft one that should fit your swing?

If the driver is close to a like new condition and a replacement shaft would cost you a lot less than $200, I don't think there is a problem.  But if you end up spending more than $200 to get it right then it is not a good gamble.

John

I am not sure if it is the right shaft other than being the stock stiff shaft. I was fitted before and could pull the shaft out of my old driver later if need be.

I think phillk's advice is perfect.   Adjustable head will help.   For me outside of Flex, the launch is what is important.   If you have an idea of what you want, then see if the shaft in it is close to what you want.

—Adam

26 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Go ahead and buy it.  If the head is adjustable, that will make fitting easier.  If you want a new shaft, some pros at courses would be willing to make a deal/trade for their rental/demo club's shafts (that is if they have the club you are buying).  But, if you have to buy a whole new shaft for it, just remember that they can get quite pricey these days.  If you buy it and it turns out to be a bad fit overall, it shouldn't be too hard to re-sell.

However, if you are a golfer with high swing speed, like 115+, don't buy it.  You'll want to look more at low spin drivers, and these deals probably aren't for those types of drivers.

Actually this is a low spin driver and I flirt at the 110 mark speed wise.

13 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I think phillk's advice is perfect.   Adjustable head will help.   For me outside of Flex, the launch is what is important.   If you have an idea of what you want, then see if the shaft in it is close to what you want.

I have an idea but I can't seem to get the specs nailed down.

19 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Actually this is a low spin driver and I flirt at the 110 mark speed wise.

I have an idea but I can't seem to get the specs nailed down.

Do you play with a LS driver now?  110 is usually borderline for switching.  You don't want to go LS unless you are absolutely certain about your stats regarding launch and spin.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

3 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Do you play with a LS driver now?  110 is usually borderline for switching.  You don't want to go LS unless you are absolutely certain about your stats regarding launch and spin.

I use the 910D3

3 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

The link below rates shafts.If you can figure out what your current shaft is, you can compare. This will help you see if the shaft in the deal is similar.

http://ralphmaltby.com/golf-shaft-ratings/

The golfworks site then rates each shaft with that code. You can find something similar.

http://www.golfworks.com/golf-club-shafts/c/2/

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Wouldn't normally comment, but seeing as we're of similar handicaps, maybe my thoughts will help. Have you hit the driver before? Personally, I wouldn't buy it if not as feel is a major thing for me (in spite of trying loads of the top end models, I've yet to get close to my X2 Hot), but I can see why it's tempting. Also, having had a driver fitting relatively recently, I'd add myself to the list of converts - have linked my experience below. You'll be able to find a good deal whenever you want to buy, whatever you do, don't rush it. Let us know what you do - will be interested to hear the experience one way or the other.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The link below rates shafts.If you can figure out what your current shaft is, you can compare. This will help you see if the shaft in the deal is similar.

http://ralphmaltby.com/golf-shaft-ratings/

The golfworks site then rates each shaft with that code. You can find something similar.

http://www.golfworks.com/golf-club-shafts/c/2/

Thanks for that @boogielicious

4 hours ago, b101 said:

Wouldn't normally comment, but seeing as we're of similar handicaps, maybe my thoughts will help. Have you hit the driver before? Personally, I wouldn't buy it if not as feel is a major thing for me (in spite of trying loads of the top end models, I've yet to get close to my X2 Hot), but I can see why it's tempting. Also, having had a driver fitting relatively recently, I'd add myself to the list of converts - have linked my experience below. You'll be able to find a good deal whenever you want to buy, whatever you do, don't rush it. Let us know what you do - will be interested to hear the experience one way or the other.

I was really on the fence about the driver. I do like to tinker a bit but like you said, I was a bit apprehensive that I hadn't hit it. My driver now held it's own to all of last years driver's I tested but the tests showed this one, the "Cobra King Ltd Pro had pretty much what I was looking for. I still didn't know if I wanted to jack around changing shafts and what not after having $235 in it, which is cheap compared to new. Cobra doesn't have a demo day here and I would have to travel to do it. I wanted to this weekend but the golf shop closes early and I missed the chance.

I finally decided I was not ready to buy and could wait a little longer in order to properly fit the shaft before purchase. Thanks everyone for the input.

Is there a golfsmith or golf galaxy near you. You could go there and swing a similar driver.

If I could swing the club, or a very similar club, I'd buy it. I wouldn't buy a club I haven't held in my hands unless it was dirt cheap.

23 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

If it's a good deal, the shaft and the loft are right, I would buy it

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

You could get a brand new Cobra Fly-Z or Fly-Z+ direct from Cobra for around $200. Excellent driver. Was on GD's Gold Hot List for 2015. Why buy used when you can get last year's model new so cheap? Cobras depreciate like mad. Does not have anything to do with quality.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

9 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

You could get a brand new Cobra Fly-Z or Fly-Z+ direct from Cobra for around $200. Excellent driver. Was on GD's Gold Hot List for 2015. Why buy used when you can get last year's model new so cheap? Cobras depreciate like mad. Does not have anything to do with quality.

Because I want the LTD pro. It is $449 new and $235 was a deal. I am basing this decision on CoG of the club, not just randomly wanting a Cobra driver. They do depreciate a ton so if I can figure out the proper shaft, then I will move forward.

8 hours ago, RH31 said:

Is there a golfsmith or golf galaxy near you. You could go there and swing a similar driver.

If I could swing the club, or a very similar club, I'd buy it. I wouldn't buy a club I haven't held in my hands unless it was dirt cheap.

The closest place that has a trackman or flightscope is over an hour away. They close early most days and I would prefer to golf than drive to the shops. Maybe I will go on a rainy day.

7 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

If it's a good deal, the shaft and the loft are right, I would buy it

Well yeah...the whole deal was hinging on the shaft choice.

Got ya! $235 is a great deal on that.

Stock shaft is the Aldila Rogue Black 60. Here is a link for Aldila shaft fitting. They're a little different than some others.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

8 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Got ya! $235 is a great deal on that.

Stock shaft is the Aldila Rogue Black 60. Here is a link for Aldila shaft fitting. They're a little different than some others.

I was looking for something like that. Maybe I can locate the torque and kick point in there somewhere. I would probably needed a different shaft seeing the schematic. The LTD has a very accurate loft rating on that club so it might be a whole new ball game shaft wise.

Note: This thread is 2831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!