IGNORED

bombtech golf 72* wedge

Note: This thread is 2816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

when i use my 68 wedge  i am usually on the edge of the green and hit it really soft so i don't hit it too far and then end up short.....but its kinda funny when you hit it off a tee at the driving range you hit the roof every time. although i like it a lot out of the sand

also i have a two iron in my bag. i had a funny conversation with my instructor about it

instructor: he is attempting to hit a two iron 

me: yup i like my long irons

instructor: best thing that could happen is you losing that club 

yes i still hit my 2 iron. i mainly use it out of the rough on a long hole or whenever i can't hit my 3 wood

its one of these

98-117053_1_.jpg

4 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

For me, that spot is taken by my 60*, which, interestly enough, is mainly used on full to partial shots under 100 yards

Funny. I rarely use my 60° outside of 40 yards. I have absolutely zero control over the flight of it.

4 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

When I want to flop something, I usually open up my 56*. I don't know why, but I hit flops better with an open face wedge and open stance than I do with a squared stance and wedge with the same relative loft.

That's because one is a flop shot and the other is a standard pitch with a higher lofted club. :-P

You can't open your 60° and flop it with an open stance? Is it a bounce/grind issue? If you can flop your 56° you should be able to flop your 60°.

I agree a 72° wedge is excessive and too specialized a club to justify a spot in the bag.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

49 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's because one is a flop shot and the other is a standard pitch with a higher lofted club. :-P

You can't open your 60° and flop it with an open stance? Is it a bounce/grind issue? If you can flop your 56° you should be able to flop your 60°.

When I hit flops, my 56* is almost 45* open (based on visual, never actually measured it). I assume it's effective loft is likely pretty close to +/-70* or even more, but I get that for free from technique rather than losing a spot in the bag for the relatively rare instances where I need to send a ball 10 yards up and 3 yards forward. And truth be told, 9 times out of 10,  it's usually more about wanting to do that than needing to do that. ;-) 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
On July 13, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

He gave me a bit of a hard time also during the round after the lesson. I just kept hitting high flops every time I was around the green. "Gee, I wonder what Jeremie's going to do" Didn't matter if it was the best shot choice, it was just so dang fun to be able to hit the shot that I couldn't help it.

Oh be honest @Jeremie Boop… you were two yards off the green with the hole 35 feet away, and you hit a flop shot! :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Oh be honest @Jeremie Boop… you were two yards off the green with the hole 35 feet away, and you hit a flop shot! :-)

Of course I did, and it was glorious fun!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I use my 50 more than anything and my most lofted wedge is 54. It would be a waste of gimmicky space in my bag.

Dave :-)

I don't understand clubs > 60*. Sure, you can use it SOMETIMES... but I feel like it's not a useful club. There are far more club options that should yield more opportunities of use.

One of the strengths of my game (for a long time now, not just a moment) is taking a 55* and being able to put it to 20-40-60-75 yards VERY consistently (+- 3 yards lets says) by just taking a shorter backswing. It's a far more forgiving approach in my opinion. If I miss it, it's just a few yards off usually but almost always on the green in a decent spot.

You can get roll or spin too, with a shorter backswing to help facilitate a controlled contact point. 

I had a 60 once. It was okay, sometimes. But I got rid of it pretty quickly not because I couldn't hit it, but I found little use for it.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I had a 62 but it was wasted space. I'm not short siding myself chasing pins. It's longer chips and pitches where it's almost always a better choice to not fly it to the hole. When I am just off the green and the hole is somewhat far away I read those like putts and putt chip it with as much as 7 iron. I've never understood hitting the ball higher in the air than it needs to travel towards the hole if it's not necessary.

Dave :-)

I picked up one of the Open Professional wedges that was a 68* with 0 bounce just for fun. I have never used it in a real round and just pull it out sometimes just for a good laugh. A full swing for me might go 30 yards at best and sky high. I've used it in a few scrambles just to try something balsy when we had a safe shot but usually never works out..lol, but still fun to try!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2016 at 4:22 PM, Piz said:

Maybe...if I was wearing a goalie mask.

Not likely. It's designed for golfers with suicidal tendencies.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2816 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!