IGNORED

Golf tees

Note: This thread is 2625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/17/2016 at 1:13 PM, Shindig said:

I don't think there's a big difference in tees for most of us, no.  For now, the important thing the tee does for you is set the ball at the right height -- don't use the miniature ones for your driver. 

The Pride PRO Tee System has different length tees with color stripe markings. The stripes let you know how deep you're pushing the tee. Pride tees are pricey, but they help me get the ball teed to proper height.

I normally use the yellow 2 3/4" or the blue 3 1/8" tees. The blues get it done after the rains stop when they haven't mowed the tee box in three days; the yellows don't get the ball high enough in soft, bushy turf. I also carry some gold 1 1/2" tees for irons or hybrids. This works when the ground is hard - and longer tees break off when you try to push them deep into tee box.

I hear @Dave2512. But, I like the paint marks on the driver face - it shows me if I'm making contact at proper height. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like white tees with heads that aren't overly large.  I like to look at the little white swipe mark on the bottom on an iron on a par-3 swing to see where the club face came through the hitting area.  Same thing with drives.  A white tee will usually leave a small mark on the sole area so you can see where you hit a tee shot.

On a strange not, I bought a bag of 200 white tees from Dick's Sporting Goods.  The heads of every tee in the bag weren't milled out enough to hold a ball unless the tee was perfectly vertical.  Really shallow where the ball went.  I put the entire bag of tees in my wife's bag!  Hehehe.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I purchased these plastic tees. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UI6R4W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought them because I thought maybe they would last longer than wooden tees and I won't have to reach in the bag for a new one as often. And so far they've been really great. I gave one away and I've used one for the last 6 rounds. So those 30 tees are on pace to last me a few years.

2 hours ago, goatbot said:

I purchased these plastic tees. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UI6R4W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought them because I thought maybe they would last longer than wooden tees and I won't have to reach in the bag for a new one as often. And so far they've been really great. I gave one away and I've used one for the last 6 rounds. So those 30 tees are on pace to last me a few years.

Those are the tees I was referring too, love them and I also get the small ones. They last a long time, especially the small ones.

6 hours ago, dave s said:

I like white tees with heads that aren't overly large.  I like to look at the little white swipe mark on the bottom on an iron on a par-3 swing to see where the club face came through the hitting area.  Same thing with drives.  A white tee will usually leave a small mark on the sole area so you can see where you hit a tee shot.

On a strange not, I bought a bag of 200 white tees from Dick's Sporting Goods.  The heads of every tee in the bag weren't milled out enough to hold a ball unless the tee was perfectly vertical.  Really shallow where the ball went.  I put the entire bag of tees in my wife's bag!  Hehehe.

dave

Those white stripes left on the bottom of your clubs also tell you if you club was square to your intended target line. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I prefer plastic tees just because they seem to last longer.  Generally carry two height tees.  The long ones for the driver and the mid length ones for the irons.  Don't want to use short length ones because tend to lose them too easily.  Anyway, tend to find more tees than I lose or break in an average round.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Y'all waaaaay over-think the least important piece of equipment in the entire game!

But, I won't use a white tee....  :8)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

38 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Y'all waaaaay over-think the least important piece of equipment in the entire game!

Isn't that what we are here for?

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

59 minutes ago, David in FL said:

You say this after the thread about underwear?

I like plastic tees for the range since they don't break.  I have a couple bags of wooden ones (don't know why I bought so many) that I have to get through, then I'll probably go all plastic.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• 3 weeks later...

I like the Price pro length tees (I use them) for their height markings but I'm getting really tired of cleaning off the paint on the underside of my driver... may need to switch

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

3 1/4" white or unpainted wooden tees and broken ones if I want a tee for a par 3.  I have tried a few different varieties such as plastic and brush tipped tees but found no difference in my ball striking so I just buy a bunch (100) of wooden tees at a time.  I have broken a dozen tees in one session working on my driver but it does give me some feedback about the plane of the swing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2016 at 7:44 AM, MNGopher said:

Martini step-up tees.  Consistent height every time and they never break!

I don't use the specific height ones, but I do love these tees.

5 minutes ago, bm85 said:

I don't use the specific height ones, but I do love these tees.

I actually have all 3 styles (regular, step-up, and shortys). The step-ups have replaced my regular ones, but I use the shortys for par 3s.

1 minute ago, MNGopher said:

I actually have all 3 styles (regular, step-up, and shortys). The step-ups have replaced my regular ones, but I use the shortys for par 3s.

That's cool, I didn't even know they made those. I hit everything else off the deck, but I might check those out for my dad. Thanks for the info.

I like these tees because they:

-Are easy to find after a drive due to the size/color
-Easy to balance a ball on in the wind
-More comfortable/easy to stick into harder dirt because the wider top.
-Never break. Or at least I lost them before they ever broke.
-Let me keep a single tee in my pocket which serves also as my ghetto divot repair, and ghetto ball marker when playing alone

The fixed height tees are good provided you actually tee up exactly to that height for your club.  Me, I tee off my driver way lower than the recommended height and don't really hit it off my left heel with an ascending blow.  But I do understand the appeal of these tees if the height actually suits your swing

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 2625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!