IGNORED

Question about make-up

Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do course conditions effect which 14 clubs are in the bag?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do course conditions effect which 14 clubs you have in the bag?

• YES
    • NO

Do course conditions effect which 14 clubs you play with? For example, do you have a 3h and 3i that you interchange, or another fairway wood you'll occasionally stick into the mix and pull out another club?

I actually bought in total 20 brand new clubs this year.

In The Bag Now:

Driver, 4-wood, 3-hybrid, 4-hybrid, 5-PW, GW, 54°, 58°, Putter

Extra Clubs:

7-wood, 3i, 4i, 5h, 6h, SW(matches the iron set)...

Thinking about going with the 5h for a bit as my 5i is only really used to chip out and for bump and runs.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I change putters like I change shirts (at least once a week) but the bag configuration is pretty well settled. I carry a strong 3 wood, a 5 wood, a 22 hybrid, 4 thru gap wedge, a 54, a 58, and whichever flat stick the Ouija board recommends.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Nope.  My bag is what it is.  

Sadly though, my swing can change from round to round...  :8)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted yes. If the greens are really "shaggy" slow, I will go with a heavier putter I have. That's the only time course conditions give me reason to change. 

I have a pretty good handle on which clubs to use in any given situation. Sometimes I can pull off the shot. Other times, not. 

I have made some personal preference changes recently, by taking out a couple of wedges I don't very much anymore. Had nothing to do with course conditions. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Yes, I swap in and out a 5h if there are some longer par 3's that I don't feel as confident hitting the green with using my 4i.  

Joe Paradiso

I have swapped out a 2 & 3 iron from time to time to put in a 5W.  I tried a 7W one time to see if it worked for me.... usually these are the clubs I might switch.

I have been swapping around some wedges to try and find the best one to fill my gap from 51 to 58.  I have a lot of different bounces and it can get confusing.

Best one I do is bring 2 putters.  My Ti4 WRX and my B60 Copper.  One is great on fast and the other great on slow greens.  Got the best of both worlds so you can pull the correct one depending on the conditions.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I don't have the skill to manufacture shots based on conditions. Approach shots are what they are and from the tee it's all about keeping the ball in play. Most days I don't use much other than driver, 4w, 3i and 7-PW. Around the greens it's whatever the shot calls for. I try to hit to specific targets that give me the best chance to score, it's not always the green, it's not always the fairway. I choose lines with the least amount of risk. IME overthinking it on the course rarely leads to better results for the unskilled. Keep it simple and play smart.

Dave :-)

I have my standard bag, but I'll swap out a club or two for particular courses.

If a course has really fluffy sand, I will swap out the 54 + 58 for a high-bounce 56* SW.

And, I will carry the 4i on occasion. There's one course where I use a low 4i draw for three different tee shots, all on windswept holes.

With my old hybrids, I would use a 3H from October to March when the winds were high and the rough thin. Then, I would swap the 3H for a 7W - higher launch and better out of the rough. But, I now have just a 4H.

I've played around with the KickX 12.5* Driveway Blaster, basically a brassie, as a guest club. If I tee it low, I can get a hot, stinger-type shot that runs out forever. But, it's another shot I would have to practice.

I can think of a couple of short, really tight courses where it might carry the Blaster instead of my driver. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Not for me.  I carry the same 13 with me everywhere I go.  I have no wishes for the 14th allowable club or ever regret that I have this in my bag and not that.  I just play.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I carry the same 14 clubs to every course I play.  I don't want to have different set ups for different courses because then I have the added element of trying to pick and pick right for a given course, course condition (hard/firm), weather (wind), etc.

Yes, but it's very simple. 

If there's wind or a lot of tight holes, or a longer course during a tournament where I need to reach an especially long par 3, I switch out a fairway metal for a fatback 2i. I'm not really skilled enough to do what it's probably actually meant to do. But I'm pretty good at hitting tee shots with it, which is all I'll really use it for in that condition.

Andrew M.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't change based on course or conditions - sometimes I will swap my 4 iron back in and take out the 4 hybrid, which usually does not turn out to be the best idea........

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I carry the same 14 no matter the course.  I have really focused on playing the shot and not the club this year.  I have my irons dialed in a bit more after my swing change and the more I can take out of the equation, the better.   I do not want to think about different clubs and how they react, I just want to visualize the shot and make it with the club I have chosen 

I typically carry the same 14 clubs, but I have switched out clubs here and there for short periods of time.  Although I'm thinking of switching out clubs when I play the back tees at my home course versus the blue tees.  I find I don't need the 3h when I play the blues and could use the 4h instead.   The 3h at times is just the right distance to hit it into trouble on a couple of holes and I hit it too far for all of the par 3's.  So I might throw the 4h back in the bag and then switch to he 3h when I play the back tees.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

only at the top of the bag will it change.  I have a Driver, 4w and 3i as my longest clubs.  On a course with longer, narrow par 4s I might swap in a 3w and take out the 4w.   Also depending on the course I might swap a 3h for the 3i.   On rare occasions I'll go Driver, 4w and then right to a 4i if I feel the need to swap in a 64 degree wedge.  However usually it needs to be firm conditions since that takes away two clubs I might tee off with (3i and no hybrid to replace it)

—Adam

I voted no.

I will change up occasionally based on my mood, and what I am doing. I have a semi-modern bag that I use for the odd scramble. Most of the time, I play with vintage clubs, and will switch those around some just because I want to play with something different. This summer though, they have all mostly stayed in the closet.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I voted yes but I only change one club depending on the course, my 3 iron and 3 hybrid. If I'm playing a shorter course I will play with my 3 iron in the bag because I'm much more comfortable hitting that off the tee than my hybrid on the short par 4s. If I'm playing a long course, usually the par 5s will be long as well so I throw in the hybrid because I'm more comfortable hitting that into a green than a 3 iron.

Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!