IGNORED

new to exercising suggestions

Bill926
Note: This thread is 2314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

so now that i'm in my mid 40's, and have had a desk job for the last 18 years i think it caught up with me.  I used to like practicing or playing 9 after work, but recently I've been so sore and stiff that I don't feel like it.  The last few times I went to the range or played a round I feel like my flexibility has went to none.  I have access to a number of gym memberships through my work, but have never went.  I would like some suggestions for what to work on at the gym to try to increase flexibility, stamina, etc., for a beginner.  I feel I could probably fit in an hour a day, maybe 4 times a week.  I don't want to get a personal trainer or anything, at least not yet.  For now I thing anything would be better than nothing.

thanks

I have found that soreness and stiffness comes from not drinking enough water.   Try drinking a lot more water after you play, and it might go away. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have the right idea to work on your flexibility. Doing the right stretches will help limber you up again over time. As @Marty2019 has mentioned staying hydrated is extremely important and since you just started back you may be sweating out a little more than usual so fill up on fluids before, during, and after.  

Slightly off topic but I have had aches to deal with as  well and have changed my diet up a little to help combat inflammation and one supplement I have been using is a glucosamine chondroitin and collagen powder by Schiff called Joint Care Plus and a krill oil  pill each day. My parents swore by this stuff for years so I finally listened. I would never recommend those types of things without checking with a doctor, but they have helped my joint pain tremendously. I was taking up to 12 ibuprofen a day and for past few months have rarely needed any at all.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

I would take a beginning yoga class, your gym probably offers some. Then I'd mix it up with a combo of weight bearing and aerobic exercises, then throw in some outdoors stuff, like hiking and biking. Swimming is awesome too, easy on the body.

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 7/19/2016 at 9:46 AM, nevets88 said:

Swimming is awesome too, easy on the body.

We did just have a pool built this spring and I have been doing a lot of swimming, which I haven't done in 30 years.  Wonder if that could be the cause for the stiffness.  

Thanks for the all of the suggestions, I definitely don't drink enough water either. 

• 1 month later...

Swimming and yoga.

Cycling and rowing are also good for cardio without putting as much pressure on joints. Light cycling is also good, I find, for overcoming soreness.

Otherwise the idea of flexibility is huge, dynamic stretching is a great way to avoid injury and also play better golf. Also making sure you stretch at the right time is important too (the difference between general stretching, and making sure you stretch before and after you use your muscles.

• Upvote 1

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 5:26 PM, sinned123 said:

any good golf specific exercises or books that are out there?

Weight Training for Golf

The author of this book is a personal friend of mine. He is very knowledgeable about exercises needed to play golf.

Doug

I like to think of exercise in four categories... Strength training, Cardio, Flexibility, and Balance.

Don't only do strength training, do them all.  As you get older good flexibility and balance become more and more important.

For golf specific exercises that help with strength, flexibility and balance, I use this:

http://shop.joeydgolf.com/Fix-Your-Body-Fix-Your-Swing-The-Revolutionary-Biomechanics-Workout-Program-Used-By-Tour-Pros--Paperback_p_36.html

Find something you enjoy. It's okay to ask for suggestions until you find it but the key to sticking with it is wanting to do it and honestly anything that's not sitting on the couch will improve your golf fitness. I like biking and calisthenics but others may find that dreadful so experiment on the cheap until you find your thing. I've seen lots of noobs waste money on equipment only to hang laundry on it until they sell it on craigslist.

Dave :-)

1 hour ago, Dave2512 said:

Find something you enjoy. It's okay to ask for suggestions until you find it but the key to sticking with it is wanting to do it and honestly anything that's not sitting on the couch will improve your golf fitness. I like biking and calisthenics but others may find that dreadful so experiment on the cheap until you find your thing. I've seen lots of noobs waste money on equipment only to hang laundry on it until they sell it on craigslist.

+1 to this.  

Walking my dogs and walking golf courses are an activity that doesn't seem like exercise.  Between the two of those I do an extra 30+ miles of walking a week.  (Extra meaning miles in addition to the regular day to day walking).

Definitely good points on improving flexibility.... I would also add that improving core muscles has been helpful for me in a wide variety of sports including golf... one of the best types of exercises have been kettle bells for me. They have been really helpful in improving my core strength and that has definitely translated to my golf game.

-Jim

Vires Acquirit Eundo 

• 2 months later...

At our age the desk job can really be murder. If you're looking to start doing something about it...I'd spend some sessions with a trainer at the gym. Tell them what you're looking for in terms of results, including your love of golf. Yoga can be fantastic for your flexibility. I'm a big fan of the basic lifts: squat, dead, some bench. But, form is paramount and don't worry about doing much weight. With proper form you'll get benefits. You'll feel it, for sure. And, the squat and deads build good golf-related power.  I've lifted weights for a long, long time - since I was about 10. They can tie you up for the swing if not accompanied with an associated flexibility effort. If you've been driving a desk this long and are just getting started remember that what you should be shooting for is a life change that's subtle enough for you to stick with it.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

Not that I'm a fantastic example for anything fitness related, but be careful if you start weight training. Make sure you can lift the lighter weights with correct form before you pile on heavier weights. 

I was going to suggest xc skiing but I see the OP is from the land w/o snow.    I realize yoga may not seem manly but give it a try.   You'll appreciate the strength and flexibility training it provides.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I used to have soreness a lot to, I found diet is a big part of that. I started drinking a protein shake every morning and taking ZMA at night before bed. I found the time I'm sore went from 2 to 3 days, to maybe being sore the day after.

Also I went to a TPI instructor in my area that works with a few golf pro's, J.B. Holmes, Justin Thomas, and he did an evaluation and gave me stretches and exercises I could do at home to improve my flexibility and golf fitness. This is his YouTube channel, he has some good stretches and exercises on there, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrEmqGtupCHoCSgWNicILyA

• 4 months later...

Please see my latest post in the fitness forum.  I can send you some workouts that are completely golf specific.  You can easily follow along with my program for 2 weeks.  I've had clients that have come back from injury using these workouts.  All you need is a club, mat, and a 10 lb weight.  The duration of the workouts are between 20 to 30 minutes 5 days/week.  The workouts are progressive so I take the guesswork out of building a program.  You can do the workouts at home, gym, or on the driving range.  Personal message me if you are interested.  I've read some really great responses on this thread that I agree with on hydration and nutrition as well.  

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2314 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!