IGNORED

Dress Codes

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good grief!  There goes my breakfast...

Thank goodness for dress codes.

18 hours ago, WUTiger said:

It's a close call. Forward the photo to Feherty and see what he says. But, he may say we should wear kilts.

Cargo pouches technically are pleated, so they can expand to hold bulky objects. You might be "called on cargo" for those.

What bugs me most about the rule? Cargo trousers and shorts come to us from the Vietnam war. U.S. ground units wore jungle utilities which had cargo pouches in the trouser thighs and the sides of the shirt. So, I'm taken aback that conservative elements - common in country clubs - don't grasp the patriotic trappings of cargo attire.

(Note: During the Vietnam war, most U.S. infantry units wore jungle utilities, which were a gray-green solid hue. Only special forces units wore camouflage jungle utilities. After Vietnam, the camouflage jungle utilities - or BDUs in Army parlance - became normal field wear for Marines and soldiers.)  

Thank you for that history lesson.  No sarcasm.  I alway enjoy learning about new things.  I had no idea cargo pants were from Vietnam war era.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, colin007 said:

That's certainly not the treatment most of us unwashed masses experience at the weed farms we play at.

LOL, but the dress codes are pretty relaxed at weed farms aren't they?  I play once a week at local muni courses around Long Island and while the dress codes vary, none as as strict as the private clubs.  

Joe Paradiso

4 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

LOL, but the dress codes are pretty relaxed at weed farms aren't they? 

Almost always.  My local course's dress code is  "nothing offensive".  The worst I saw, and I'm not even positive I saw it, was one day I caught up to a foursome and one of the guys was shirtless.  When I saw them again, he had a shirt on, so I don't know if I just thought he was shirtless or if he saw me and re-shirted himself.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

13 hours ago, isukgolf said:

I am OK with collared shirts ... but that is as far as I want to take it ... I could care less what you wear ... just keep a good pace ...

I would really pissed, if I had a play a 5hr round behind guys with white socks!  Plz!

Exactly - If one REALLY respects the game, respects the course, and respects the other players his ACTIONS matter more than cosmetic stuff.  Requiring type of shorts, color of socks, type of shirt is right up there with requiring color of skin and originated from the same place - even if that justification has changed since it's origin.

What type of shorts one wears, IMO is WAY down on the list from these 'real' items of respect:

• fixing ball marks
  • raking traps
  • keeping up pace of play
  • being courteous to each other
  • not having tantrums
  • keeping the music volume low (or just not at all)
  • not smoking
  • not spitting sunflower seed shells
  • not littering
  • not leaving butts on the ground
  • replacing (or filling) divots

I've played with people that are very into the dress code - my sample is likely skewed, but every one of them didn't rake the sand or fix their ball marks yet didn't hesitate to remind you to tuck that shirt in - and they were rude to the caddies too.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

11 hours ago, newtogolf said:

... Spikeless shoes are a lot more casual looking than the older golf shoes but most still look different than sneakers.  I think if you wore a clean pair of Nike sneakers no one would even think to question you, but if you showed up in a pair of beat up Chuck Taylors I think you'd be asked to change them.  ...

Our course doesn't allow old metal-spike golf shoes, or shoes with cleats "from other sports." Lots of people play in tennis shoes or nubby-sole service shoes. 

Forbidden Shoes

"Use of shoes other than golf must be approved by the Golf Shop. Golf shoes with metal spikes, football, baseball, or soccer spikes are not permitted."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I would rather not play with people that are shirtless or wearing sleeveless shirts and cutoffs. Golf is one of the last places in the US where civility is part of the game. I like remwha's post.

On the other hand, I resent people that are elitist.  Finding a course with good people is important, especially if you walk on as a single.

3 minutes ago, ppine said:

I would rather not play with people that are shirtless or wearing sleeveless shirts and cutoffs. Golf is one of the last places in the US where civility is part of the game. I like remwha's post.

On the other hand, I resent people that are elitist.  Finding a course with good people is important, especially if you walk on as a single.

There will always be elitists on golf courses.  I'm not trying to make excuses for all but I do want to offer a different perspective.  

The last club I belonged to was pretty elitist (it's one of the main reasons I'm not a member there any longer).  Many of the members there are long term members and rarely play muni courses or even other private courses.  The old club required the use of forecaddies or caddies on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and all tournaments and encouraged their use at all other times.  The caddies / forecaddies fix all ball marks, divots, rake the sand and all the other things golfers with good etiquette do, the members just walk along or drive their carts, swing their clubs, keep score and settle their bets.

I invited a few members of my old club to my new club which does not offer caddies, so we all head out to play and I notice the first time one of the guys is in the sand he didn't rake the sand, later on, another guy commented on how deep the ball mark he made was on the green but then just marked his ball and went on to read his putt.  I said in a joking way that I know we're not playing at "Old course name" but show some respect and rake the sand fix your ball marks.   They were dumbfounded and very apologetic.  They had gotten so used to having caddies do that stuff for them, it never occurred to them that they should be doing it since we didn't have caddies with us.  

The rest of the round they fixed all their marks, raked the sand and fixed divots, etc.  

Joe Paradiso

On 7/21/2016 at 8:30 AM, DeadMan said:

I think anything beyond collared shirt and no jeans is excessive. I've played with plenty of golfers who are fun to be around and really good that also dress poorly to care about how someone dresses. That said, courses are obviously free to set whatever code they want. Just as I'm allowed to roll my eyes at their dress codes.

I don't have an issue with a reasonable dress code, but I also don't feel that such is necessary to play the game properly.  I'm probably more "proper" in my approach to the game itself than most golfers, even when I'm wearing jeans and t-shirt.

On 7/21/2016 at 9:25 AM, Pete said:

It's not unusual for sports to have a dress code. Soccer players are supposed to wear shirts tucked in and socks pulled up. NFL players are fined if their socks aren't up to the knee. Wimbledon has very strict dress code for example. So it is part and parcel of sport. I guess it all contributes to that particular sport's identity.

It's a bit like, turning up to a funeral in jeans and a t shirt doesn't mean you have less respect for the dead, but you just wouldn't do it.

But yeah, in the grand scheme of things, none of it really matters at all. We can simply put it down to one of those things we do as a humans. A little bit of order is more comfortable than total chaos. Even when it comes to how long your shorts are...

I would and have.  And the deceased never said a word - nor did any of the family other than to thank me for paying my respects.

18 hours ago, newtogolf said:

My home club requires collared shirts tucked into slacks or Bermuda length shorts, no jeans, no cargo pants or shorts, no short skirts, tank tops or denim skirts for ladies.  We don't have any restriction on sock color or length.  On the course, golf shoes with soft cleats only, no metal spikes, or non golf shoes.  

I'd be out then, since I haven't owned a pair of golf shoes for at least  15 years.  The way players dress around here would be an affront to your sensibilities.  A large percentage of them are farmers and ranchers or the people in jobs that support them.  Although I usually wear a collared polo, I don't worry if I happen to head straight over to the course after working in the yard in my t-shirt and jeans.

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

Good grief!  There goes my breakfast...

Thank goodness for dress codes.

Thank you for that history lesson.  No sarcasm.  I alway enjoy learning about new things.  I had no idea cargo pants were from Vietnam war era.

Cargo pants are from earlier than Viet Nam.  This illustration from WWII shows a soldier in field uniform with cargo pants:

5366854490513d195ccfd85fa299f0d3.jpg

I respect codes when a course has one, but I don't play a lot of courses where it is considered necessary to keep out the riff-raff.  They mostly seem to feel that everyone's money is just as green, and as long as they comport themselves more or less like golfer, the rest is just fluff.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

3 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

I don't have an issue with a reasonable dress code, but I also don't feel that such is necessary to play the game properly.  I'm probably more "proper" in my approach to the game itself than most golfers, even when I'm wearing jeans and t-shirt.

I would and have.  And the deceased never said a word - nor did any of the family other than to thank me for paying my respects.

I'd be out then, since I haven't owned a pair of golf shoes for at least  15 years.  The way players dress around here would be an affront to your sensibilities.  A large percentage of them are farmers and ranchers or the people in jobs that support them.  Although I usually wear a collared polo, I don't worry if I happen to head straight over to the course after working in the yard in my t-shirt and jeans.

Cargo pants are from earlier than Viet Nam.  This illustration from WWII shows a soldier in field uniform with cargo pants:

5366854490513d195ccfd85fa299f0d3.jpg

I respect codes when a course has one, but I don't play a lot of courses where it is considered necessary to keep out the riff-raff.  They mostly seem to feel that everyone's money is just as green, and as long as they comport themselves more or less like golfer, the rest is just fluff.  

I think we should all play a round in the outfit on the right! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 hours ago, Aflighter said:

Just remember it could always be worse.Imagine playing in a suit and tie like back back in the day.

Imagine the sweet Under Armour suits we would have to play in though...

I like the process of prep to dress for golf, it helps to set my mood and focus. I have low toleration for sloppily dressed people so I am good with dress codes.

I would draw the line at playing in white  calf socks and dark shoes.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Though I would dress like Payne for the fun of it.  Especially if I could get an entire 4-some to.

Just my luck, I'll find it super comfy and score really well that day.....

MWSnap 2016-07-22, 12_12_00.jpg

Bill - 

Reading this thread makes me glad I don't make enough money... And nor do I even live remotely close, to one of these elitist snobby golf clubs.  Its one of the reasons why golf has trouble attracting new players.  Now I always wear either grey, black or khaki golf pants with one of those stay dry type polos and always tucked in but reading this thread I think some of these courses being talked about would tell tiger woods to go home and change if he showed up with his sunday tournament round outfit lol.  

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I haven't had to tuck my shirt in ever, in the six years of playing serious golf. No one's even ever made a comment to me about not having my shirt tucked in.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

17 hours ago, newtogolf said:

At my club your golf shoes have to look neat and polished.  We drop our shoes off after every round for polishing and they are returned to our lockers when they are done.  They also replace any broken or worn plastic cleats.   

Wow, I wish I could afford to be a member there. That is cool.

As other's have stated, the color of your socks is a bit over the line. In fact, it's absurd, imo. The rest of it, I'm okay with...and not okay with. Personally, even on courses without a dress code, I see most players with a golf shirt and shorts / slacks. Occasionally, I'll see players with denim on, or the group of shitheads without a shirt on spraying balls every which way (yes, those two things are related).

So, while I would prefer most people to wear collared golf shirts and slacks or dockers type shorts, I'd be lying if I didn't say that my favorite outfit to golf in is mesh athletic shorts, a tucked in t-shirt, and a pair of vans. I could only wear vans in the afternoon when it's dry, but they are easily my favorite shoe to golf in.

When I play with others, I always dress in "proper" golf attire. But, when I'm playing in the afternoon by myself, it's always t-shirt and vans (unless it's not my home course). One thing is clear though: Put a damn shirt on.

Note: This thread is 2796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!