IGNORED

Dress Codes

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
On July 21, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Piz said:

The collared shirt requirement is a relic from the past.  The clubs didn't want you playing in an "undershirt."  I get that.  What I don't get is dressing down to play golf.  A cheap, flannel shirt is fine...an expensive cashmere sweater is not?  There are some really nice, expensive, collarless shirts out there.  They ought to pass muster.

I would have to think it's pretty rare that you'd find a club who doesn't want to let you wear "an expensive cashmere sweater." Plus, what, you don't wear a shirt under it? Just the sweater on top of your skin? Or do you wear a collared (or turtleneck, or some other acceptable shirt) underneath?

On July 21, 2016 at 9:47 AM, dave s said:

...just another way to keep more players AWAY from golf!  Sheesh.

On July 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Chris223 said:

Reading this thread makes me glad I don't make enough money... And nor do I even live remotely close, to one of these elitist snobby golf clubs.  Its one of the reasons why golf has trouble attracting new players.

Really? Do you two honestly feel that has any substantial truth to it?

Because virtually everywhere, there are ranges of golf courses. Some accept people who play in cutoff jean shorts with holes in them, and some request that you dress to a different standard. Nearly everyone can find a golf course that will let them play.

I've played at courses where I'm the most "overdressed" person there, and I've played at courses where I fit in just fine.

In the list of expenses for golf, a reasonably decent pair of shorts and a shirt are not going to cost the most. Often the round costs more than the "dress code." If you're so infrequent a golfer that you play once a month or so, a single "outfit" can last years. Your tee budget might even begin to exceed your clothing budget in that time frame… never mind your gas budget, your beer budget, your ball budget, etc.

Furthermore, assume there's a higher end public course with a dress code. It's at least possible to conclude that if they rescinded their basic dress code, players might start showing up wearing cutoff jean shorts and t-shirts, and then other players who might like to associate with what they perceive as a "classier" getup will start to avoid playing there. I don't much care what other people are wearing (full length jeans are not really great for an athletic activity, IMO, but that's what stops me from wearing them… I couldn't care less if someone else does), but others might. And that's their right.

And @Chris223, it's wrong to assume that it's "snobby" or "elitist" clubs that simply ask that players not wear jeans or a t-shirt to play golf.

On July 21, 2016 at 11:17 AM, rehmwa said:

One thing though - as long as there are dress codes, I refuse to acknowledge golf as a "sport".  In sport, people dress for performance, not for socializing.

Yeah, others addressed this already, but that's not even close to true. Lou Lamoriello had plenty of rules (still does) about facial hair, etc. Hockey players, basketball players, etc. all dress a certain way before and after games. And all they're doing is walking off the bus into their locker rooms, or from their car beneath the tunnels to the locker rooms… Yet they too have dress codes. Both on the field/court, and off.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It isn't that rare at all.  A sweater typically sports a crew or V neck.  You have to wear a collared shirt in addition to the sweater.  That can be uncomfortably warm on a winter day in Georgia.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Piz said:

It isn't that rare at all.  A sweater typically sports a crew or V neck.  You have to wear a collared shirt in addition to the sweater.  That can be uncomfortably warm on a winter day in Georgia.

So don't wear the sweater? Wear a long-sleeved shirt or something. You're saying you wear a sweater with nothing beneath it?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Of all the things to complain about in regards to golf, to complain that some courses have specific dress codes seems pretty nit picky. As Erik said, there are more than enough options out there for courses to play that if you don't want to have to wear white socks you can find one that will let you play in pink :-D

But seriously, only the nicest of courses really have strict policies for what to wear and if you are playing there you probably already know that so you wouldn't have a problem following it. To be completely honest, if I'm going to play a nice course I will always dress nicely just like if I'm going to a nice restaurant.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Yes.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 7/22/2016 at 8:01 AM, mcanadiens said:

"Weed farms" is awesome. I'm definitely going to use that going forward. 

Yeah! I usually say "goat ranches"!

Just like there are "different strokes for different folks", I feel there are different dress codes for whatever course you're playing. You wouldn't wear a tank top to a wedding or funeral, but for a cookout, or a woodsie around a big fire, why not?

Where I play league is a very casual affair. I've seen guys playing in tank tops and sandals. I haven't seen anyone playing shirtless yet, but it wouldn't surprise me. I also dress very casually there, but I would not even consider it at other venues.

It's like a buddy of mine used to tell me: "Remember where you are!"

Newtogolf's post is important.  I do not like hanging around people that are used to having a staff.  I just went on a raft trip with a friend of almost 50 years.  We do our own trips, and it is important for everyone to pitch in as it is a lot of work for guys in their 60s.  My friend just retired from being a doctor, and never really figured out how to help for the good of the group. He kept wanting to consider himself a "guest."   That is after we had some long discussions about being part of the team.  He will not be invited back.

I would not want to play golf with people that are used to having a caddy either. 

I travelled back to NZ (from England) to visit family and had a chance to play a round of golf while there. I turned up dressed as I normally would for golf in England (longs, shirt, jersey) and bugger me...these guys must have thought I was a PGA Tour pro! They were all dressed in tatty shorts, tee shirts, no gloves and tennis shoes!!

Thankfully I managed to keep the lie going (that I was a PGA Tour Pro) for at least the first drive! By the time Real Life (tm) caught up with me I was comfortably down the fairway and out of site of everyone else (apart from the 3 chaps I was playing with) :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

13 minutes ago, mailman said:

I travelled back to NZ (from England) to visit family and had a chance to play a round of golf while there. I turned up dressed as I normally would for golf in England (longs, shirt, jersey) and bugger me...these guys must have thought I was a PGA Tour pro! They were all dressed in tatty shorts, tee shirts, no gloves and tennis shoes!!

Thankfully I managed to keep the lie going (that I was a PGA Tour Pro) for at least the first drive! By the time Real Life (tm) caught up with me I was comfortably down the fairway and out of site of everyone else (apart from the 3 chaps I was playing with) :)

Regards

Mailman

I did the same in Melbourne on a work trip. I felt like a right clown in trousers and polo shirt when everyone else was in  boardies and t shirt. 

I can't think of a full length golf course in UK without a dress code.

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

I did the same in Melbourne on a work trip. I felt like a right clown in trousers and polo shirt when everyone else was in  boardies and t shirt. 

I can't think of a full length golf course in UK without a dress code.

Which leads one to believe that we who live in the Colonies tend to be more relaxed, more concerned with actions than with appearance, particularly as you get away from the larger cities.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 7/22/2016 at 11:35 AM, Fourputt said:

Cargo pants are from earlier than Viet Nam.  This illustration from WWII shows a soldier in field uniform with cargo pants:

5366854490513d195ccfd85fa299f0d3.jpg

I stand corrected. The Original Cargo Pants  (only a left-thigh pouch) actually came from the British Army, pre-World War II. The above link takes takes a fashionista look at the military and civilian history of cargo pants.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

16 hours ago, Fourputt said:

Which leads one to believe that we who live in the Colonies tend to be more relaxed, more concerned with actions than with appearance, particularly as you get away from the larger cities.

Yes, absolutely agree with you. The thing is, two of the guys I was playing with were proper single figure handicappers who played exceptional golf! Turns out the other chap knew my dad from the Vietnam war days! Small world eh :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

On 7/23/2016 at 4:00 PM, iacas said:

IReally? Do you two honestly feel that has any substantial truth to it?

And @Chris223, it's wrong to assume that it's "snobby" or "elitist" clubs that simply ask that players not wear jeans or a t-shirt to play golf.

Do you not think that some people are turned away from being interested in golf because their opinion (regardless of the fact that no... it's not true, but again, the outsiders perception) is that a lot of "golf clubs" are like Augusta with their strict rules and funny ways they make you dress as outlined in this thread here?  I mean c'mon... mandating the colors of your socks and belt?  Pure stupid.  Nowhere did I say jeans and a t-shirt should be considered acceptable everywhere and I even said how I dress on a course - pants and a polo shirt tucked in.  My comment is that even that seems unacceptable at the courses that people are posting ridiculous dress codes for.  When I say snobby or elitist for golf I am referring to those courses like Augusta, just because it is so famous doesn't mean there aren't plenty of private clubs like it.  Yes, they are snobby, elitist "rich guys stuff clubs".  Those clubs don't grow the game in any way shape or form, and a non-golfers perspective is that a lot of courses are like that, it keeps them away from golf.  My friends who don't play golf think that way, no matter how much I try to tell them otherwise, this is where I base my opinion. 

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

7 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

Do you not think that some people are turned away from being interested in golf because their opinion (regardless of the fact that no... it's not true, but again, the outsiders perception) is that a lot of "golf clubs" are like Augusta with their strict rules and funny ways they make you dress as outlined in this thread here?  

Most people know golfers who they can ask and easily dispel any concerns that all golf courses are like Augusta.  If they did any research and looked at muni courses they could see the dresses code is much more relaxed than it is at Augusta or other more expensive private clubs.  

Nowhere did I say jeans and a t-shirt should be considered acceptable everywhere and I even said how I dress on a course - pants and a polo shirt tucked in.  My comment is that even that seems unacceptable at the courses that people are posting ridiculous dress codes for.  When I say snobby or elitist for golf I am referring to those courses like Augusta, just because it is so famous doesn't mean there aren't plenty of private clubs like it.  Yes, they are snobby, elitist "rich guys stuff clubs". 

I'd guess those clubs with the really strict dress codes (sock color and belt color) make up less than 10% of the private clubs in the country.  You don't join a club like that unless you a) have the money, b) want to be in a club that dictates ever article of clothing you wear.  

Those clubs don't grow the game in any way shape or form, and a non-golfers perspective is that a lot of courses are like that, it keeps them away from golf.  My friends who don't play golf think that way, no matter how much I try to tell them otherwise, this is where I base my opinion. 

Those clubs do grow the game, just at a lower percentage, because people join them to network and be around other wealthy, influential people.  I know a few business owners that joined pretty exclusive golf country clubs to network and as a result get pretty hooked on golf too.  Granted, that happened a lot more in the past when you could write off your membership fees as a business expense.  

Joe Paradiso

On 7/22/2016 at 1:43 PM, Valleygolfer said:

I haven't had to tuck my shirt in ever, in the six years of playing serious golf. No one's even ever made a comment to me about not having my shirt tucked in.

This can be big medicine at private-equity clubs. My former boss was a member at Bellerive CC in St. Louis, and he was put on probation for 6 months for leaving his shirttail out on a 100° F day.

Vg, if you leave your shirttail out when wearing cargo shorts... your picture might end up on a milk carton! 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 7/21/2016 at 9:17 AM, rehmwa said:

One thing though - as long as there are dress codes, I refuse to acknowledge golf as a "sport".  In sport, people dress for performance, not for socializing.

I guess that football (among others) isn't actually a sport. The NFL is a huge stickler about dress codes and fines players thousands of dollars if they leave their jerseys untucked, and they have uniform inspections before every game with large fines for infractions. Peewee teams still are required to have shirts tucked in, wear cups, have correct socks (most won't let you play without tall socks), etc.

In baseball you're required to wear pants specific to baseball. There's no performance advantage to baseball pants over pants that are full length or shorts, but it's still a required part of the dress code. Basketball players are required to wear sleeveless jerseys, though they provide no performance advantage over a t-shirt. Gyms that you would play basketball in often won't let you past the lobby if you wear denim or cutoff shorts, etc. For soccer you have to wear shorts, despite the fact that a pair of sweats or even baseball pants would work just as well (and, arguably, protect the legs of the players better). All sports have dress codes, not just golf. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Chris223 said:

Do you not think that some people are turned away from being interested in golf because their opinion (regardless of the fact that no... it's not true, but again, the outsiders perception) is that a lot of "golf clubs" are like Augusta with their strict rules and funny ways they make you dress as outlined in this thread here?

Some people? Maybe.

But those people are morons, and probably few and far between, because even spending two minutes doing the most basic research would tell them Augusta National is in a class of its own in many senses, including whatever their dress code is.

I think anyone interested in golf enough to consider playing it knows people who don't dress like they're going to play at Augusta National.

3 hours ago, Chris223 said:

When I say snobby or elitist for golf I am referring to those courses like Augusta, just because it is so famous doesn't mean there aren't plenty of private clubs like it. Yes, they are snobby, elitist "rich guys stuff clubs".  Those clubs don't grow the game in any way shape or form, and a non-golfers perspective is that a lot of courses are like that, it keeps them away from golf.

I could make an argument that those types of courses, despite being pretty few and far between, do a tremendous amount to grow the game. First of all, you have the caddie programs. A LOT of people got into golf via caddying. Secondly, you're aware of the fact that Augusta National is one of the major sponsors of this thing you may have heard about… Drive, Chip, and Putt.

And so what if they didn't grow the game (though I don't agree they don't). They're a small minority of courses. The munis and other public courses can grow the game. Someone who doesn't know whether they like golf is not going to show up at Augusta National and ask to play golf to see if they like it…

Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!