Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nevets88

2016 PGA Championship at the Baltusrol Golf Club Discussion Thread

Note: This thread is 1262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

250 posts / 22063 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

So they're not re-pairing tomorrow, which I don't like. They're gonna keep the same pairings for round 3 and 4. Kinda takes out the pressure factor a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

So they're not re-pairing tomorrow, which I don't like. They're gonna keep the same pairings for round 3 and 4. Kinda takes out the pressure factor a little.

In the tradition of "without re-pairing, fingers crossed the winner doesn't finish his round two hours before the final group," let's hope Kevin Kisner doesn't shoot a 64.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

In the tradition of "without re-pairing, fingers crossed the winner doesn't finish his round two hours before the final group," let's hope Kevin Kisner doesn't shoot a 64.

The funny thing is Kisner could shoot a 64 in his final round while most of the leaders are still playing their third round. That's why I just don't like the way they're doing it. It's really quirky and not the way a major should finish. The weather looks pretty bad tomorrow....there's gonna be a delay. At this point I would just say let's get as much as we can tomorrow, do a quick re-pair after round 3 and play round 4 into Monday if need be.

Btw, ESPN wrote an article basically saying the PGA dropped the ball by not moving the tee times up into the morning. But like I said earlier, it's all about live scheduled TV. They've been in these positions before and they never change the tee times. But given the forecast it would have been nice to see them say "screw live tv" and focus more on getting the golf in. Especially since it's a third round and not a fourth round. TNT could have gone on the air and showed it live in the morning and then CBS re-air it in the afternoon.

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

The funny thing is Kisner could shoot a 64 in his final round while most of the leaders are still playing their third round. That's why I just don't like the way they're doing it. It's really quirky and not the way a major should finish. The weather looks pretty bad tomorrow....there's gonna be a delay. At this point I would just say let's get as much as we can tomorrow, do a quick re-pair after round 3 and play round 4 into Monday if need be.

Btw, ESPN wrote an article basically saying the PGA dropped the ball by not moving the tee times up into the morning. But like I said earlier, it's all about live scheduled TV. They've been in these positions before and they never change the tee times.

They need to re-pair or the final day could be worthless for live television.  

I don't understand the issue with earlier tee times, TNT didn't start coverage today until 11, CBS took over at 2, they could have opted to show the recorded rounds this afternoon versus showing us last years.  I know delayed broadcasts aren't as fun to watch if you know the results but it's still better than watching last years again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

They need to re-pair or the final day could be worthless for live television.  

I don't understand the issue with earlier tee times, TNT didn't start coverage today until 11, CBS took over at 2, they could have opted to show the recorded rounds this afternoon versus showing us last years.  I know delayed broadcasts aren't as fun to watch if you know the results but it's still better than watching last years again.  

Sadly they're not re-pairing. They've already got it set up for Kisner to tee off his final round tomorrow at 8:40 am. The PGA dropped the ball on this one, IMO. It's unfortunate, but can't do anything about it.

This major hasn't had the right feel to it from the beginning. It's weird having them play this thing in July, it's just two weeks after The Open, some of the players just look drained (like DJ), and now the weather has really made this thing unusual with a possible Tuesday finish. Just an odd feel to it this week.

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Sadly they're not re-pairing. They've already got it set up for Kisner to tee off his final round tomorrow at 8:40 am. The PGA dropped the ball on this one, IMO. It's unfortunate, but can't do anything about it.

This major hasn't had the right feel to it from the beginning. It's weird having them play this thing in July, it's just two weeks after The Open, some of the players just look drained (like DJ), and now the weather has really made this thing unusual with a possible Tuesday finish. Just an odd feel to it this week.

Based on what I read, golfers that completed round 3 on Saturday will start to tee off at 8:40, I don't see where they have Kisner listed specifically for an 8:40 tee time. Looks like they are calling for thunderstorms all night until 10am Sunday so I doubt this schedule will be used anyway.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Based on what I read, golfers that completed round 3 on Saturday will start to tee off at 8:40, I don't see where they have Kisner listed specifically for an 8:40 tee time. Looks like they are calling for thunderstorms all night until 10am Sunday so I doubt this schedule will be used anyway.   

My bad. He doesn't tee off until around 10:30 now, I heard. Still going to be playing round 4 just a couple hours difference of the final group for round 3. Very strange.

Btw, it will be interesting to see if a 62 goes down now. This course is there for the taking and it's only a par 70. Definitely there for the taking.

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

My bad. He doesn't tee off until around 10:30 now, I heard. Still going to be playing round 4 just a couple hours difference of the final group for round 3. Very strange.

Btw, it will be interesting to see if a 62 goes down now. This course is there for the taking and it's only a par 70. Definitely there for the taking.

Anyone playing the round 3 pins has a shot at 62, I'm guessing / hoping they will move the pins for the 4th round to tougher locations to make up for the wet greens.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

In the tradition of "without re-pairing, fingers crossed the winner doesn't finish his round two hours before the final group," let's hope Kevin Kisner doesn't shoot a 64.

This could actually be great for Kisner or other players who haven't won majors or even had much experience winning on Tour.  Post a low score early to avoid any "omg, I'm leading a major on Sunday" jitters and then sit back and wait.

Then again, this could be all be for naught if the rain ruins things today as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor showing by the PGA - currently the only live broadcast is Kaymer/Henrik and the leaderboard on their site shows everyone at E for the day (I think they are struggling with how to show 3rd and 4th round active scoring on the leaderboard.

would -rep the PGA if I could

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So Fox can show live coverage of the US Open at 7am amidst rain delays but CBS can't show live coverage of the PGA? Nice going CBS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ChrisP said:

The funny thing is Kisner could shoot a 64 in his final round while most of the leaders are still playing their third round. That's why I just don't like the way they're doing it. It's really quirky and not the way a major should finish. The weather looks pretty bad tomorrow....there's gonna be a delay. At this point I would just say let's get as much as we can tomorrow, do a quick re-pair after round 3 and play round 4 into Monday if need be.

Btw, ESPN wrote an article basically saying the PGA dropped the ball by not moving the tee times up into the morning. But like I said earlier, it's all about live scheduled TV. They've been in these positions before and they never change the tee times. But given the forecast it would have been nice to see them say "screw live tv" and focus more on getting the golf in. Especially since it's a third round and not a fourth round. TNT could have gone on the air and showed it live in the morning and then CBS re-air it in the afternoon.

Ugh this entire tournament has the perfect setup for a Robert Streb win. PGA sure as better hope Day wins this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard they will play the ball up in the 4th round - but not in the completion of the 3rd round.

While I understand wanting to keep playing conditions consistent, if the course conditions are dictating playing it up then how do you justify people on the course playing it up and down at the same time (those playing the 4th allowed to lift/clean/place and those playing the 3rd playing it as it lies)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, atb5079 said:

Ugh this entire tournament has the perfect setup for a Robert Streb win. PGA sure as better hope Day wins this.

As long as Patrick Reed doesn't win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. McGirt doesn't seem like the most pleasant guy in the world. Never smiles. Always angry. Not the kind of guy I would want to play with or get to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...