Sign in to follow this  
Ohdens_Wrath

Iron Lie Angle and Shaft Length

Note: This thread is 1236 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 posts / 2185 viewsLast Reply

I went to Austad's golf today and swung some irons as I'm in the market to get some. My WtF said I should be swinging +1/2 and my clubhead speed said I should swing either stiff or x-stiff. 

I've been looking all over craigslist and ebay for a set of Ap1's or Ping G's that are affordable. How important is it to get clubs that fit perfectly? I'm just wondering if I need to look for some shafts that are 1/2 longer than standard, or if I would just adapt and see no difference. One thing I did notice was that my clubhead speed seemed to be significantly higher with the 1/2 longer Ping G's versus the Standard length AP1's. 

Also, I found a set of Ping G's that are 1/2 longer than standard, but the lie angle is 3 degrees upright. Will this different lie angle affect my play? I realize there's a lot of hypotheticals and that it's preference, but what would you advise? 

Thanks!

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

1 hour ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

... I've been looking all over craigslist and ebay for a set of Ap1's or Ping G's that are affordable. How important is it to get clubs that fit perfectly? I'm just wondering if I need to look for some shafts that are 1/2 longer than standard, or if I would just adapt and see no difference. ...

Clubs that are a mismatch to your swing simply won't work very well. For people over 20 HDCP, it's hard to a perfect fit on clubs because of wobbles and variance in our swing. But, a reasonably good fit will work better than clubs bought at random that are a mismatch.

WtF = Wrist-to-Floor: According to GolfWorks fitting instructor, this is a rough starting point for clubfitting. A person needs to hit some shots on the lie board (get dynamic lie angle) to determine lie angle.

Other fitting aspects are described on the Ping site, and the Mizuno site (Shaft Optimizer system).

Lie angle (for right-handed golfers): If the lie angle is too flat, you will tend to miss shots to the right because the face angle tends to go that way. Too upright, and you'll miss to the left.

Get a fitting, if at all possible. Ask your golf friends about a good golf shop in the area, and tell the fitters you are interested in some used clubs. Often they can find you a set that will fit you, are can be tweaked to fit you.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First of all, the 3 degrees upright lie angle WILL affect your play! Positively or negatively, who can tell, since you haven't been fitted. Blow the money and take your chances, or get a fitting?

You seem to be impressed with clubhead speed. Clubhead speed doesn't mean crap if all you're doing is hitting the ball farther IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!

Take WUT's advice. Find someone who knows how to fit a golfer for clubs and get, at least, a wrist to floor measurement. This will get you a starting point. Hopefully this person will get you past that to lie angle and beyond. Lie angle is VITALLY important. My buddy has clubs he bought somewhere, and the lie angle is much too upright for him. When he addresses the ball the toes of his irons point to the sky! He's 5'8", but he needs to be 6'2" to play these clubs!

Something else to keep in mind is that there is no industry standard length.  Each manufacturer sorts that out for themselves; year to year and model to model.  Also...a shaft bends down thru impact.  The softer the flex the greater the "flattening effect."  Theoretically; your recommended lie for a stiff shafted club would be flatter than your recommended lie for a more flexible one.  

I will second that you need to look at each mfg's specs on club length and lie with the club you got fitting with.

For example Callaway Apex 5 iron is 24* and 38", XR 5 is 23* and 38.25" and XR OS 5 is 25* and 38.5".  I'm sure there are slight lie differences, +1/2" doesn't seem a definitive length.

John

Note: This thread is 1236 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!