IGNORED

Proposing a So Cal end-of-summer meet up (SEPT 24)

Shindig
Note: This thread is 2711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

Thanks!  No, I haven't been there since February 1... I think I went there last in 2012?

I was typing a thank you to you, @spider, @iacas, and @Golfingdad thanking you all for encouraging this to still go through when I wasn't sure it could.  Then this reply:

Really, I should be thanking you for setting this up.

No problem.I only initiated Plan B  (sounds like something Arnold Schwartznegger might say).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I might suggest taking I-76 East to Douglas to Vandergrift rather than the main gate off I-5.  Its a lot shorter and easier. From the East (South) gate, take a left on 4th, follow to Golf Course Rd, take another left.  

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Spoiler

I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty to contact the event coordinator at the Marine Course to see if they could offer us any freebies, grab bags, closest to the hole marker, or whatever. He said he would forward the request to the course Pro. I kind of doubt they would do that just for a foursome, but perhaps they will do something given the potential for publicity for the Sand Trap Forum. Heck, doesn't hurt to ask. It would be kind of silly though, to place a closest to marker, then go back to the tee and go for it, but if the course maintenance people, would place one for us in advance, it would be a neat surprize.

Freebies?

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

5 hours ago, Hacker James said:
  Hide contents

I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty to contact the event coordinator at the Marine Course to see if they could offer us any freebies, grab bags, closest to the hole marker, or whatever. He said he would forward the request to the course Pro. I kind of doubt they would do that just for a foursome, but perhaps they will do something given the potential for publicity for the Sand Trap Forum. Heck, doesn't hurt to ask. It would be kind of silly though, to place a closest to marker, then go back to the tee and go for it, but if the course maintenance people, would place one for us in advance, it would be a neat surprize.

Freebies?

That would be pretty neat.  I'm fine either way and just happy we're playing.

By the way, I seem to recall that course is walkable.  Do the three of you (you, @spider) intend to walk or ride?  I'll share a cart if someone wants to ride, but I can walk also if there are walkers in the group. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My Daughter and I will be riding. The course is walkable, but there are a few elevation changes and would make for a pretty good hike.  The carts are $15 per rider for 2 riders. I believe the green fee for general public is only $35, twilight rates much less. Retired military such as myself only $25. I have not played there for a few years. @No Mulligans has played there recently I believe. Weather will be a bit warm, but there is lots of shade.

"James"

Here is the link:

http://www.mccscp.com/golf/

"James"

Last time and only time I played at Pendleton, last November, I walked.  It's a good walking course, as I recall there is one hole that is up a decent hill, the rest was easy to walk.  It is designed well for walking as the tee boxes are close to the previous greens.

I really like the course layout that is in canyons for the most part.  The greens were fast and in great shape back then, the fairways were good... but that was back then and as best I can remember.  The price, it's a great value.

It's about an hour from where I live (I live in San Diego near UCSD and Torrey Pines :-D ). But I went through the main gate and was really surprised how big the base was, it was probably a 15 to 20 minute drive from the main gate to the course and a lot of that was on a 50 mph highway. If I was closer I'd play there often and I do plan on playing there again.  I'll be interested to hear how you all like it.

4 hours ago, spider said:

I'm riding

In that case, if you're up for sharing a cart, let's do so.

I'll be in a red shirt and I have an anteater as my driver headcover.  I'm aiming to get there about 8:45 to have time to warm up before the round.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

oh good, at least I will be able to recognize one of you. I am picking daughter up at the Chevron Station on Harbor Drive and Coast Highway at 9:15.  I will then drive East on highway 76 to Douglas Drive and come in the back way which is close to the course rather than going through the main gate. I probably wont get any time on the practice tee, 'sides it wastes energy and at my age, have not got a lot to spare.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

Is anyone else here? I'm at the pro shop, they say no one has checked in.

We're all here. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Today was a success.  Glad I didn't cancel -- we had an awesome foursome playing.  Thanks to everyone who was there.  Maybe the Winter 2017 outing will be more successful. 

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

37 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Today was a success.  Glad I didn't cancel -- we had an awesome foursome playing.  Thanks to everyone who was there.  Maybe the Winter 2017 outing will be more successful. 

Yep. defenitely. Great company. Overall score for me could have been better, short game was not so bad, missed a lot of putts. Hit lots of fairways, zero GIR.   We had a late start as the starter kept putting singles out in front of us. It could have been coordinated better. My daughter enjoyed it, and she does show promise. I was really impressed by @spider map showing him playing all the capital cities in the lower 48 with intentions of HI, and Alaska.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

1 minute ago, No Mulligans said:

Is it still not a problem to get on base?

How was the condition of the course?

Did you all like the course?

Apparently no problem getting on. Course is very good condition. I had not played in several years, but pretty much as I remembered.

"James"

Great time! Laughs, good conversation and three new good people that I met. Hacker James is a fun character and his daughter is also. She has good setup form and with more playing and practice she can really improve. She hit a few good long drives, out driving her father from the same tees. Hacker James was lagging very well, but nothing fell for him, but he took it like the golfer that he is.

Shindig is a great guy and fun to play with and talk with. His golf game is impressive. Long drives, good short game and putter. He's pretty consistent. Consistently out drove me. Shindig was using Game Golf, I'm looking forward to seeing the results. It didn't seem to bother his game.  

I got up at 3:00 am, left home around 4, got to the course about 6:30 from Palm Desert. I liked the course. it has a great practice area, broken up into the driving range and different short game areas. The layout of the course was good as well as the fairways and greens. I didn't like some of the sand bunkers with very little sand, but overall it's a good course to play. The employees were friendly as well.  

I shot 97, 48 on the front, 49 on the back. I putted so badly.  I missed so many putts within 5 feet. I drove the ball well, not too many out of the fairway, and they were still playable. I got in the sand and out pretty good most of the time, but I missed one short putt after another, it was killing me or better yet I was killing myself. My lagging was hit and miss as well. When I got home I took five putters to the putting green and selected another putter for my next round. 

I did hit one of those shots that make you say " Oh yea". It was a 5-wood from the fairway, oh so sweet. 

Looking forward to the next outing and meeting other Sand Trap members.  

• Upvote 1

@spider  Excellent review of the track!  It should give folks a pretty fair idea of the course and what it has to offer. In terms of playability, it holds up to any major championship courses. You are rewarded for accuracy, challenging at times, suited for golfers of all skill levels. Very affordable. Although we did not see any, at times there are lots of wild life on the course and some imported such as American Bison! There used to be several herds of sheep. The location is kind of out there, quiet, and off the beaten track, yet easily accessible. And "Oh Yeah", stellar 5W! (I carry one as well, Ben Hogan Speed Slot (Laminate) which I used frequently.  I am looking forward to the next event.@Shindig says he may try to put something together for the winter. 

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

Note: This thread is 2711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!