IGNORED

Breaking 80 or no DBs -- which is harder?

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Which is Harder?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Harder?

• Breaking 80
    • No double bogeys in a round

It is about even but harder to break 80 I believe. Usually breaking 80 is playing well enough to be double bogey free since birdies aren't as prevalent for the 11 to 13 cap.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not sure which is easier. I do know if you try to keep doubles off your score card you will stand a better chance of breaking 80. Yet you can shoot in the the 70's with doubles. The more I think about it I think you would need a lot of data to be able to ascertain which is easier. 

Breaking 80 is tougher in my game. Several times I have had rounds with out any double bogies, and still didn't break 80. To break 80, I rely on alot of pars, and fewer bogey 1 holes. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I average right at 80. Easier to break 80 than avoid a double because it often happens in the same round. Golfers that break 80 regularly are making lots of pars so the impact of a double is minimal. I don't try to avoid double or worse it just kind of happens, typically on a hole where I make bogey often and one swing led to trouble (hazard).

Dave :-)

Breaking 80 is harder for me. I believe I have had a few rounds with no DBs, but have yet to break 80.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Poll added.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It's very rare for me not to have at least one double. Almost always from a wild tee shot. I shot 76 the other day and had 1 double.

I can't remember a round with 9-10 bogeys and no doubles and no birdies. Usually, if I'm playing that poorly, I'll turn a bogey or three into doubles.

• Administrator

I voted that breaking 80 is more difficult.

Though the two are intertwined, "breaking 80" requires some pretty good sustained performance, while just not making a double means you only have to play "okay" for 18 separate holes. A really bad shot can be made up for with a really good shot.

One is a short-term goal (though repeated 18 times), while the other requires sustained performance for 18 holes. That's a bit different.

Breaking 80 is more difficult. I've played golf with people who shoot 88 and have no doubles or worse… just consistent bogeys. Some they might make a 15-footer for bogey, while other holes they miss a three-foot par putt. But breaking 80 requires consistent solid play all day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I just finished a round that is fairly unique.  I had 3 double bogeys and a triple bogey ... AND I broke 80.  77 in fact.  All I had to do was make four birdies and zero single bogeys.

(In the poll, I voted that breaking 80 is harder.  Seems like if I set a goal to not have any doubles, with no regard to score, that it wouldn't be that hard.)

• Upvote 1

I voted breaking 80

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

In my case it would be no DBs.  One poor tee shot is all it takes.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Has to be breaking 80. I've had multiple rounds without a double, still haven't quite broke 80. Though on the other hand I shot 81 yesterday with two doubles.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

My scoring average right now is 80.1, with exactly half of my last 20 rounds under 80.  I think that I break 80 with a double (or 2 :8) ) more often than I fail to break 80 without any doubles.  

I really think it's handicap dependent.  Very good players who seldom fail to break 80 aren't surprised by a double here and there.  But, the vast majority of golfers will never break 80, but can still have the occasional round without a double.  As a threshold, I think getting to the point of breaking 80 is harder.  Once you're there with any degree of regularity, my vote is that keeping the card double free is more difficult. 

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Voted breaking 80 for me.  It's as simple as I almost never get up and down, but almost always get up and 2-putt.

It's a great question.  I'd bet typical 7-8 handicappers have about the same number of 70s and no DB rounds.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I voted that breaking 80 is more difficult.

Though the two are intertwined, "breaking 80" requires some pretty good sustained performance, while just not making a double means you only have to play "okay" for 18 separate holes. A really bad shot can be made up for with a really good shot.

One is a short-term goal (though repeated 18 times), while the other requires sustained performance for 18 holes. That's a bit different.

Breaking 80 is more difficult. I've played golf with people who shoot 88 and have no doubles or worse… just consistent bogeys. Some they might make a 15-footer for bogey, while other holes they miss a three-foot par putt. But breaking 80 requires consistent solid play all day.

I'll buy that... Breaking 80 requires 6 three hole rounds of +1 with one extra stroke somewhere... 7 bogeys and 11 pars... I had 7 pars today and shot 95... the doubles or worse I had would have only knocked me down to 83... I understand you what you mean with breaking 80 being harder to accomplish.... But no doubles is pretty damn hard too... I voted no doubles is harder but I see your point...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!