IGNORED

Breaking 80 or no DBs -- which is harder?

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 2736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Which is Harder?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Harder?

• Breaking 80
    • No double bogeys in a round

Had a round today of 76 (72.4/127).  Posting here cuz it's the 1st round I've had with no doubles in 2 years but I've broken 80 7 or 8 times in that time frame.  Just reinforcing that no doubles is harder (and bragging a bit about my day).  

FYI:  all I did today was turn my left hand over maybe an eighth of an inch on my grip.  Wow.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

When I play my goal is to break 40 on each nine with the ultimate goal of breaking 80. A lot of the time the reason I fail at these goals is because of a dreaded DB. I could honestly answer either way because I find it difficult to break 80 but also seem to always leave the course with a DB on the card.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Very interesting to read the answers of good golfers. I had a (much more modest) goal this year of no triple bogies, and am able to do that fairly consistently. However, I have had a few 9-hole rounds with no doubles too. It's not hard even at my level, to bogie +1 every hole. I know I can't rightly answer the survey since I've never even sniffed 80, but I think playing with no doubles is very realistic for a good golfer, If they play conservative. 

Edited by Kalnoky

Based on maths, there is no doubt: breaking 80 is much much complicated than a round without DB. But, golf is not just maths, and I always have some horrible holes, so a round with no DB is never seen... I will make it though. Both.

:banana:

Edited by Jameson

:nike:

For me, breaking 80 is much harder than playing a round with no Double bogeys... Ive shot more rounds in the 80s this year than I've had doubles or worse. 

Assuming there is no lost ball/OB etc, i feel like doubles can largely be avoided through course management. 

5 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

For me, breaking 80 is much harder than playing a round with no Double bogeys... Ive shot more rounds in the 80s this year than I've had doubles or worse. 

Assuming there is no lost ball/OB etc, i feel like doubles can largely be avoided through course management. 

That makes no sense to me.  Your HCI is +1 and yet you say breaking 80 is much harder?  How is that even possible?

I shot many rounds in the 70's but very rarely did I have a round without a double bogey or worse.  In fact, the last round I played, I shout 78 with 3 double bogeys!!!  Ugh!

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

18 minutes ago, Yukari said:

That makes no sense to me.  Your HCI is +1 and yet you say breaking 80 is much harder?  How is that even possible?

Breaking 80 is a vague phrase, but the answer might be that some courses are harder than others.

Edited by bm85

I played solo last Sunday and shot an 82 w/o any doubles.   I've never broken 80 but have had a few rounds w/o doubles.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I shot many rounds in the 70's but very rarely did I have a round without a double bogey or worse.  In fact, the last round I played, I shout 78 with 3 double bogeys!!!  Ugh!

As we said earlier in the thread it depends on what you mean by "harder." No doubles could mean you shoot 87, but breaking 80 means you're a better golfer overall.

So at my level breaking 80 is relatively easy, but some people have never broken 80 and yet have rounds with no doubles or worse. To them breaking 80 is thus harder.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Now why didn't I think of that??  You can shoot a 90 and without making a DB . Can't do that when you break 80. ..:-P

You can have 2 or 3 DB in a round and still break 80 if you birdie 3 or 4 holes. Almost all of my 78-79 rounds have had a DB in them unfortunately.For me regardless of how I play. It's a struggle to play 18 holes without one bad hole that ends with a DB.

13 hours ago, Yukari said:

Breaking 80 aint easy, homey. Most of my rounds are actually in the mid 70's. Not much between that and an 80.  Ive shot in the 80s with no doubles at all. Matter of fact I did just a couple weeks ago. 9 bogeys, no birds. :yucky:

Edited by Groucho Valentine

11 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

You can have 2 or 3 DB in a round and still break 80 if you birdie 3 or 4 holes. Almost all of my 78-79 rounds have had a DB in them unfortunately.For me regardless of how I play. It's a struggle to play 18 holes without one bad hole that ends with a DB.

Yes, please re-read my post. Doesn't say you can't DB or even higher in a 79. But you can't shoot a 90 when you break 80. 

It's just a silly joke a 3rd grader would possibly laugh at.

Vishal S.

I've looked at my past 100 rounds and I have to say that it is a wash.

Rounds in the 70s: 17

Rounds with no DBs:  14

However, I would say that as an initial achievement, breaking 80 is harder.  Before I broke 80 for the first time, I had several rounds with no DBs. 

Randal

Note: This thread is 2736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!