IGNORED

Ball recommendations. 85 swing speed

Note: This thread is 2643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/25/2016 at 8:20 AM, NJpatbee said:

For pure distance, I use the Maxfli Softfli, Callaway SuperSoft, or Titleist DT TruSoft 

@NJpatbeeHow do you like Titleist TruSoft? How does it compare to SuperSoft?

I see a lot of recommendations for e6, which is the straightest ball I've ever tried, but I was missing too many putts with it. I want something that has a little more "mass".

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2017 at 4:22 PM, Kalnoky said:

I see a lot of recommendations for e6, which is the straightest ball I've ever tried, but I was missing too many putts with it. I want something that has a little more "mass".

The comment about more mass can mean different things to different players...can you explain what it means to you?

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

On 1/9/2017 at 5:22 PM, Kalnoky said:

The SuperSoft as well as the Softfli are very soft feeling and a bit longer for my swing.  The DT TruSoft is almost as long as the SuperSoft but has a better feel and for my game it is better around the green and rolls out less.  There are times when I want rollout in the fairway on a long course and will use the Softfli or SuperSoft to get myself a reasonable approach shot.  However if I had to pick a 2 piece low compression ball as my gamer I would choose the TruSoft.  Since I do not have that restriction I play the 3 piece Gamer Soft which is superior for my game than any of the 2 piece offerings.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

The SuperSoft as well as the Softfli are very soft feeling and a bit longer for my swing.  The DT TruSoft is almost as long as the SuperSoft but has a better feel and for my game it is better around the green and rolls out less.  There are times when I want rollout in the fairway on a long course and will use the Softfli or SuperSoft to get myself a reasonable approach shot.  However if I had to pick a 2 piece low compression ball as my gamer I would choose the TruSoft.  Since I do not have that restriction I play the 3 piece Gamer Soft which is superior for my game than any of the 2 piece offerings.

This is very useful, thank you. I am going to buy a sleeve of TruSoft and try them. I recently got to try DT SoLo, which I understand was replaced by TruSoft. I thought DT SoLo felt very good with my wedges; I hope TruSoft is even better.

2 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

The comment about more mass can mean different things to different players...can you explain what it means to you?

Sometimes with a ball that "clicks" off the putter face I have a tendency to leave puts short. I like a little bit more of a "thud" - I can feel the corresponding sensation in my hands - and it is easier to put a good pace on the ball. Probably just an illusion, but it feels like some balls weigh more than others when I hold them in my hand.

Edited by Kalnoky

4 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

2 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

This is very useful, thank you. I am going to buy a sleeve of TruSoft and try them. I recently got to try DT SoLo, which I understand was replaced by TruSoft. I thought DT SoLo felt very good with my wedges; I hope TruSoft is even better.

Sometimes with a ball that "clicks" off the putter face I have a tendency to leave puts short. I like a little bit more of a "thud" - I can feel the corresponding sensation in my hands - and it is easier to put a good pace on the ball. Probably just an illusion, but it feels like some balls weigh more than others when I hold them in my hand.

Gotcha.  I've actually chatted with quite a few players who refer to a ball feeling heavy at impact, which is a sensation they get because they are not compressing the ball completely.  Technically, the only stipulation on weight is that a ball cannot be heavier than 1.620 oz.  There is no minimum weight, but most manufacturers want to get it as close to the maximum as possible, so realistically if one ball was lighter than another, it would maybe be a couple tenths of an ounce which would be difficult to detect.

But you are correct about the sound of impact affecting the feel.  This is  very real...sound has a big influence in feel, so a "click" will feel different than a "thud", even if the specs were somehow the same. This is something you will have to determine for yourself...a ball that feels good to me or anyone else may not feel good to you.  It doesn't mean it's not a good ball, there is just a certain feel you prefer.  All covers are a little different.  Even all Surlyn covered balls each have a slightly different recipe in their cover formula, so they will sound different.

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

41 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

Gotcha.  I've actually chatted with quite a few players who refer to a ball feeling heavy at impact, which is a sensation they get because they are not compressing the ball completely.  

Fascinating.. I enjoy learning things like this. 

Do you have any info on the average compression for a brand new range ball? How do these compare to the cheaper distance balls used for golfers with slower swing speeds? 

2 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

Fascinating.. I enjoy learning things like this. 

Do you have any info on the average compression for a brand new range ball? How do these compare to the cheaper distance balls used for golfers with slower swing speeds? 

Range balls have a much firmer core than the ultra-low compression distance balls like the SuperSoft, ExtraSoft, TruSoft, e6, etc.  The low compression cores are not designed to take the abuse and amount of stress that range balls are subjected to.  Range balls are built first and foremost to be durable, with feel and performance secondary.  I don't know the compression ratings for all the different brands of range balls, but from what I do know I would say they are around 85-90 or higher.

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!