IGNORED

Understanding the Golf Swing

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How well do you understand the golf swing?

• 1 - Not a whit!
    • 2 - Club hit ball. Right?
    • 3 - I slice and pull a lot. I think that means I come over the top.
    • 4 - I can work the ball if I want to.
    • 5 - I still check in with the pro to see what I should work on.
    • 6 - I know what I have to work on myself, and then I do it.
    • 7 - I can fix just about any problem I see.
    • 8 - Everyone asks me for advice.
    • 9 - One step below Leadbetter

Well, I picked #6 and I'm around a 12 right now. I actually have a pretty good understanding of the swing but still like to have a pro help me correct my problems (at least sometimes). I can also usually see faults in other swings but never say anything, and if I'm asked I might pick one main thing for them to be aware of. More often than not I don't even watch others swings for fear that it'll mess me up...don't even get me started on left handers .

Chris

What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question - there is a quite a gap between #6 and #7 in my case. I can usually figure out what I need to do/not do, but generally don't know where to start in offering suggestions to others.

Cleveland Ti460 10.5*  |  Cleveland 17* Steel  |  Mizuno MP60  |  Nicklaus JN nickel plated - 52.10, 56.12, 60.09  |  Ping Anser 4
Play it like you found it.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I picked 5 but it could be somewhere between that and 7. I've only been playing for about 6 years. The first two years I didn't really try to improve just played. After that I started reading books. I've been through a ton of golf books and enjoy reading different ideas. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the swing and can usually pick out what I'm or others are doing wrong. Without video though its hard for me to see if I'm actually doing what my mind is saying I'm doing. Sometimes what you think you are doing may not be what is actually happening so I usually try to see a pro and get some feedback.

Yesterday I got through most of a new book. The 7 laws of the golf swing by Nick Bradley. Its actually an excellent book with great visual images. Can't wait to finish it and put some of it to work.

• 4 weeks later...
It's hard for me make a decision in the pole because a lot of those choices apply to me. I would say I have a pretty good idea of whats going on in the golf swing, and work on a lot of things myself. However I do take lessons, and people ask me for advice. I wouldn't say I can fix any problem I see in my own swing, but for a higher handicapper I can generally point them in the right direction.
Also, many people feel differently about the golf swing. For example, if you showed my pro Tiger's swing, he would say that Tiger has some work to do. And my pro is a well known teacher in my area, has caddied on the PGA tour, and qualified for the U.S. Open. My point is, that no matter how well people think they know the golf swing, almost certainly other people will have different thoughts/approaches.
As for the pole I chose (7) and my handicap is 5.2
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure what they're failing to grasp here -

There not trying to get it, they want to swing as hard as they can and hit the ball a long way. the ball does go far but they have no idea where.
I play nine holes Sunday with two young guys and a wife ( in mid 20s) they hit the ball all over long, usually without a shot to the green. I shot a six over 42 and missed one fairway about 8 feet and that was because of the wind.
they were in the high 50s.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

• 1 month later...
I would say that I know a lot about the golf swing simply because I have read way to many books. Heh. I can pretty much tell what people are doing wrong, but I feel unconfortable giving people advice, because, I'm only 14.

To me that is a tough question to answer b/c there is no real "Perfect" swing. Everyone's is different and obviously they work well...from Furyk's odd backswing to tigers hard swing to jacks all wrists putting method. I mean the swing can be a completely different thing for everyone so i dont know if you can really KNOW a ton about a swing other than you own.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I feel most experienced golfers can look at another golfer and identify faults. The problem is when you consider fixes there often unintended consequences. Especially when you consider individual differences, age, build, personality, the ability to find the right fix and communicate it so that another person can make us of it is very difficult. I need a feel, others need a visual cue, or a trigger. Thats why PGA teaching pros get paid.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I feel most experienced golfers can look at another golfer and identify faults. The problem is when you consider fixes there often unintended consequences. Especially when you consider individual differences, age, build, personality, the ability to find the right fix and communicate it so that another person can make us of it is very difficult. I need a feel, others need a visual cue, or a trigger. Thats why PGA teaching pros get paid.

Very, very good point. What may be working for me won't necessarily work for you. Keep in mind that what I'm doing may be a ugly patch for a bigger problem I'm having.

There are some general principles that fit all of us though like proper swing plane and such.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think options 5 and 6 are mutually exclusive. I can fix my swing, but I still like to have a pro look at it once in awhile to make sure I haven't picked up a new bad habit that I'm unaware of. I can also generally get my friends on track (but only if they ask).

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

i put 4...the only book i've read is tiger woods' how i play golf. i used that for my basics but havent looked at it since, i do suscribe to golf digest (for a couple months) but i have yet to find a tip thats worked. one thing i do know is that slowing down my swing does not work.

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

I think when they say slow your swing they mean to slow the back swing and swing the club with speed on the down swing.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I think when they say slow your swing they mean to slow the back swing and swing the club with speed on the down swing.

I'd elaborate on that to say that slowing the backswing is a good general tip,

but in particular slow down the transition at the top. A lot of people try to yank it down from the top, which throws everything off. If I don't pause or at least smoothly transition from back to forward swing, I'm going to be off plane and lucky to find any mown area on the course. Don't be in a hurry to get to the ball. Then, you should feel like the club hits maximum speed just in front of the ball (as in after you've hit it), about 7 o'clock as seen from behind the golfer.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Indeed. On a similar note, I'll share a little annecdote about how dangerous giving out swing advice can actually be. A friend of the family, a very very good golfer with a solid understanding of his swing was a constant victim of the "one-size fits all" mentality. The result was tragic for my father's game as he would aggressively give innaplicable advice (to a guy who was hitting the ball well too). You see, he had developed a convicted attitude that Hogan really did have all the keys to the game. If you've read The Five Fundamenals you know Hogan suffered a bit from the holy grail syndrom when it came to swing fundamentals. He studied Hogan's swing maticulously. Makes sense right--he figured, "hey, Hogan's built just like me, that the swing I should be making." You see he was all of 5'6" 140. On the other hand, my father is 6'4" 220! He also didn't realize, apparently, that other pros with small builds could have been studied e.g. Tom Watson (one plane v. two plane swings). The moral of the story is you have to be careful when giving out advice no matter how well you understand the golf swing. Should Chi Chi Rodgriguez or Lee Travino or Jim Furyk listen to you if numbly try to correct their apparently horrendous swing habits based on your concept of the correct swing? No. They'd probably just ignore you and continue smoking you from tee to green.

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

• 1 month later...
i voted 6 as i generally know when/why im doing something wrong as i know my swing pretty well. besides, most of my troubles come from trying to rip the ball on the backswing...DOH! :lol:

can spot minor faults on others swings too.

titleist 983E 8.5* Graffalloy Prolite stiff
Taylormade rescue mid tp 16* fuji vista pro stiff
hogan apex tour 2/3-E hogan '4' shafts
588 rtg wedges in 51, 56 and 60 degrees
yes c groove emma putterpro v1x

• 10 months later...
Being honest with myself, I rated myself a 4. I've been playing about 3+ years now...how much can I really know? I like to think I'm constantly learning and constantly getting better though.

Nice thread.

I am at 22.3 right now and I would say my knowledge of the golf swing would be 5.5

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!