IGNORED

Understanding the Golf Swing

Note: This thread is 5735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How well do you understand the golf swing?

• 1 - Not a whit!
    • 2 - Club hit ball. Right?
    • 3 - I slice and pull a lot. I think that means I come over the top.
    • 4 - I can work the ball if I want to.
    • 5 - I still check in with the pro to see what I should work on.
    • 6 - I know what I have to work on myself, and then I do it.
    • 7 - I can fix just about any problem I see.
    • 8 - Everyone asks me for advice.
    • 9 - One step below Leadbetter

I'd have to say I am a 6b. The 'b' qualifier is that I don't play enough and that leads to tragic forgetfulness. I am currently a 16.3, which will go up a few tenths after today's round. During my prime, country club brat days, I was a 4.8. Every now and then I'll feel something that I have done really correctly and the light bulb goes on and my swing will get incrementally better.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny becausae I understand the physics of the golf swing with all the different swing path/clubface variations and even what causes each of the different changes in the aforesaid elements... yet every time I go to the range, my swing is different. Sometimes my divots are straight and sometimes they're angled to the left. I started using a strong grip a couple of years ago and that corrected my chronic slicing problem. Now I have a swingpath problem where I come down too over-the-toppish. I'm not the most flexible person, so I like the straight back, straight left elbow, push my wrist out, then come back straight down method. But sometimes I come outside-in and it creates pull issues.

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

• 4 months later...
Lost Ball likes to get lessons every few months or so but that is it due to time and money
Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

I understand a fairly large amount about the golf swing for someone my age (16), not to brag. I know how to fix problems for the most part, and I can help most of my golfing buddies with their issues. I would say that I like to check the fundamentals (grip, head, and stance) before I go searching for minute details in my swing. So overall, I would rate myself 6 to 6.5

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

My knowledge has improved to maybe a 5/6. Being an engineer I tend to overanalyze. Now that my swing has stabilized I am trying to analyze less, and develop more feel/instinct.

I am not there yet.

• 2 months later...
i voted a 6. i know my own swing well, and am able to tell if something is off and i can generally fix it. i know the golf swing pretty well, but im no expert. i can tell what a person is doing wrong if they are hitting the ball bad, and i sometimes give advice, but i wont give complicated advice, i dont want to mess things up even more.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

How about a poll for those of us who know what to do but can't do it ?

Or one for just the opposite? I feel I am capable of a great swing, I just don't know enough of the swing basics and how to apply them to my swing. This is definitely due to the fact that the only lessons I have had were rare and from an awesome pro at my grandpa's country club in San Diego who I have not been able to see for years now as I live about 5-6 hours away and rarely have time for a lesson when I am there

That being said I put myself roughly at a 3.

In my bag:

Driver: R7 425 9.5*
Woods: I3 5 wood
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20*Irons: X-12 4-SW

Im a feel player...I dont get boggled in mechanics..Its basically hand eye coordination with a lot of him turn..im pretty athletic and the more i move my hips the better i hit the ball..

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Okay, I'll bite. I think that I am a nine. Maybe that sounds smug, but I've devoted more than half of my life studying all of the information I can get my hands on regarding the game and the swing itself specifically. While my index should be lower because of my knowledge, I feel that I will never really reach my true potential.

I have an insatiable desire to understand all of the different methods to swing a club efficiently which leads to a never ending series of experiments. I feel that I have to KNOW all of the possible methods, both by feel and technique, in order to be able to reach and help as many people as possible with my instruction.

This along with looking at terrible swings most of the day will probably forever doom me to never developing a razor sharp game for myself. But then I am an instructor not a player.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
I chose three. Sometimes I can fix my swing but Most of the time I don't know whats going on. I figure im coming over the ball. But I think my swing is just out of whack. I am off balance, I swing too hard, Im not fluid, my grip is wrong. I just cant afford golf lessons though

I love to hate this damn game.

17 Handicap, and voted 6

As above, I probably need a lesson, but its just too $$$ here so I will wait until I move on to the next destination before getting into a block of lessons (I think I am beyond a 1 lesson fix!)

I generally get to fix my issues but plugging away at them. I think I understand the fundamentals and so will be able to figure out the cause of a persistent problem through enough range time.

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

I voted 5, which I think is modest. I'm only 31 but have been playing and reading, and taking lessons since I was 12 or so.

I know the swing pretty well, but don't really have the knack for swing tips.

Whether or not I offer advice depends on the situation. Usually not. However, I have friends that sometime ask or are just starting the game. I will give them pointers on swing fundamentals, but usually not style type tips.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I rely on ball flight to tell me what my swing is doing, ie. starts left of my target I came over it, push it a little is cool, I came inside just didn't release.

I think most people can tell a good swing from a poor one. Problem is they cannot see their own swing unless they video or use mirrors and often they are not doing what they think they are doing or feeling. Since they cannot figure what they are doing wrong in their own swing they think they cannot or should not know what someone is doing wrong or right. But, its easy to see a break in tempo, poor shoulder turn, lifting the club, poor top position, casting, change of spine angle, tilting, reverse pivot, poor grip, poor setup, lousy alignment, rolling the clubface in the takeaway or a lousy finish and the sound of the shot tells a lot too. What you cannot see is why someone hits it 300 and someone else 260, for the most part, because the swing is too fast to see the weight shift forward, lag preservation and impact positon.

• 2 weeks later...
Im about a 6

I know a lot about the swing or what it should look like, I can identify others swing faults by looking at their swing and comparing in my mind what they are doing wrong to mental images of a "perfect" swing

It might sound odd but its like if you see something one way and all of a sudden its a different way, you can tell the difference

Also i can identify what im doing wrong by videotaping my swing, and i usaully no a drill that will help me fix it

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

I think I'm changing my vote. As much as I feel like I can easily determine mine, and playing partners', swing faults, days like yesterday happen where I "just can't see" the solution, or at least can't make myself do it. Frustrating.....

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

My first "aha" moment in golf came about 4 years ago when I was about an 18 handicap and my brother-in-law, a scratch golfer, told me: " John, you gotta learn how to swing the golf club from the inside ".

I am a right handed golfer and back then my ball flight was a slice (ball starts left of my target line then curves to the right). I had the dreaded "over the top move" when I started my down swing which meant my swing path was to the left of my target line leaving my club face open at impact (relative to my swing path)...thus...the dreaded slice!

I never really understood what my brother-in-law meant till many pain staking hours later that real power and accuracy is accomplished by swinging from the inside.

Once I figured out how to swing from the inside on a consistent basis, I became a single handicap player within 3 months (from an 18 handicap).

When I go to the range I see most golfers have this over the top move on their downswing which is why most golfers slice the ball.

If you learn how to swing the club from the inside, you will be well on your way to the promised land...

Hit 'em Long and Straight!

John Lynch

Note: This thread is 5735 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!