IGNORED

Private Equity vs. Private Non-Equity

Alex B
Note: This thread is 5981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone know the difference between a private equity and a private non-equity golf club? I was wondering because I am currently about to do a large research paper on St. Andrew's (note the apostrophe) Golf Club in Yonkers, NY (the oldest continuously operational golf club in America), and am interested in somehow getting on the grounds; it is listed as a "private equity" golf club, compared with others listed as "private non-equity."

Thanks.

APB

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

Hi,

I am sure that Private Equity means that it is owned by shareholders but Non-Equity is owned by private owners and is not on the market. I could be wrong though.

I don't know the full scope, but, from what I understand, Private Equity clubs are where the members own the club, they buy into it. The can set their prices on everything from merchandise, to guest fees. The board of directors is made up from members and they control what goes on in the club.

Non equity clubs, like the one I work for, is owned by a corporation, who runs it as a for profit business. The corporation sets prices. The board of governors is still made up of members, but you'll also see the clubs General Manager and Department Namagers (Head Pro, Athletics Directory, Membership Director, etc.) at their meetings. The latter being hired by the corporation that owns the club. And, it is ultimately the corpration that makes decisions.

I'm sure there's more to it.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Does anyone know the difference between a private equity and a private non-equity golf club? I was wondering because I am currently about to do a large research paper on St. Andrew's (note the apostrophe) Golf Club in Yonkers, NY (the oldest continuously operational golf club in America), and am interested in somehow getting on the grounds; it is listed as a "private equity" golf club, compared with others listed as "private non-equity."

Isn't The Architects Golf Course in Phillipsburg,New Jersey the oldest.It opened in 1895.

I'm sorry, you were correct.St.Andrew's opened in 1888.My mistake

A private equity club is one which you buy directly into the club.If you decide to leave you can sell your membership. A non-P.E.C. is one when you are in a sense renting space and will not be refunded anything when leaving.p.s. sorry again about the date mix up.

So, it seems, whether the course is private equity or private non-equity has little effect on my ability to get on the grounds. I would likely have to play with a member, I think.

What I really want is the minutes from the first few years of the club; since they are written down and original, they would be an excellent "primary source" document for the research paper (all the AP US students will understand this). I also noticed that on the club's website there is a lot of historical things scattered throughout the pro shop, leading me to believe that the club possesses a lot of documents and objects from its early history. Do you think (and I realize this is month down the line) the club would let me browse their history?

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

So, it seems, whether the course is private equity or private non-equity has little effect on my ability to get on the grounds. I would likely have to play with a member, I think.

I think you need to find somebody at this club,( hint; DON'T use an employee for the club,find a member) who knows and understands what exactly it is that you want to do.That person ,if interested, will know the correct person to approach with your plans.Myself, I think that you will have no problem at all.What golf club,(ok maybe not Augusta) would not want as much interest in them as possible! Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Note: This thread is 5981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!