IGNORED

Game improvement irons

Note:Β This thread is 2807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

So I have been golfing for about 5 months now and been working on swing inside to outside which is coming along nicely thanks to a practice net I bought about a month ago. I finally broke into the 70s with a 79 and was starting to wonder when I should possibly upgrade my clubs? Right now I'm using taylormade aeroburner irons 5- approach wedge and then I have the tour preferred sand andΒ lob wedges. And after researching my irons I know that they are game improvement irons so they are forgiving but aren't gonna give me the same consistency that higher end irons will. Would anybody recommend when might be a good time to upgrade? Any advice is greatly appreciated

That's awesome progress - breaking 80 in 5 months is pretty amazing.Β  I would say - upgrade your clubs when you, personally, feel the need.Β  I recently went from some SGI clubs to some "players" cavity backs - there is still some forgiveness but not nearly as much.Β  What I notice is that I get less total distance and more variance in my distances - the SGI clubs give me more of the same distance even on slight mishits.Β 

I can tell the players clubs have higher spin . .not only do I lose some total distance but I get more stoppage on the greens.Β  Not like I'm zipping it back - but it's definitely something I perceive.Β  The big thing for me is I like how my new irons look at address and feel at impact.Β  That was the reason I upgraded - the chunky topline of my SGI clubs was getting on my nerves and I thought it was making me hit everything left.Β  It wasn't really making me hit everything left but I still much prefer the thinner topline.Β  It just looks more "money" to me as I get ready to hit the ball, lol. Β 

Try some different irons and see what you like - but I wouldn't be quick to abandon a set you're having so much success with - maybe just keep playing what you got until you get the idea that you want something specific to be different. Β Β 

Ok that makes sense I guess I was just curious if there are any noticeable differences and your definitely right about the chunky look of the irons lol but I don't mind. Also curious if getting these clubs fitted to me would help alot or buying a fitted set cause I'm not entirely sure how all of that works

8 minutes ago, Josh90 said:

Ok that makes sense I guess I was just curious if there are any noticeable differences and your definitely right about the chunky look of the irons lol but I don't mind. Also curious if getting these clubs fitted to me would help alot or buying a fitted set cause I'm not entirely sure how all of that works

Lots and lots of people will tell you to go get fitted . .it's not bad advice . .especially if you don't mind spending the money. But your swing is probably still under development - and if your clubs were a bad fit for you, you wouldn't be breaking 80 in 5 months.Β  Tons of people play just great with standard gear.Β 

Right now it's July . I say play out the season and think about getting fitted over the winter.Β  Unless you don't mind spending the money . .cause it can really never hurt.Β  With the track you're on, though . I'd be worried it would stall my progress.Β 

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Upvote 1

How often do you plan to practice? How consistent is your ball striking? Just remember that the goal of the game is lower scores, not playing with blades or so-called "players clubs."

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh I understand that I'm not saying I'm gonna run down to the nearest golf shop and get the most expensive clubs now because I finally broke into the 70s. I was just curious what options are out there and what benefits they offer.Β 

And as far as practice and ball striking the net I have in my back yard has been a tremendous help with my contact because I'm no longer distracted by my ball flight

12 hours ago, Josh90 said:

Also curious if getting these clubs fitted to me would help alot or buying a fitted set cause I'm not entirely sure how all of that works

A club fitter (even at aΒ big box store) can check your lie angle and length of the irons you already have. There's a static fitting (address) and dynamic fitting (what happens when you swing). Adjustments to both length and lie can be made, to some degree. There will probably be fees separately for the fitting and for adjustments.

If/when you get new irons, some stores will apply a fitting fee toward the purchase price of the new clubs. Just need to ask what their policy is.Β 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: SilencerΒ bag (on the :clicgear:Β cart)
Driver: :callaway:Β Razr Fit 10.5Β° Β 
5 Wood: :tmade:Β Burner Β 
Hybrid: :cobra:Β Baffler DWSΒ 20Β°
Irons: :ping:Β G400Β 
Wedge:Β :ping:Β Glide 2.0Β 54Β° ES grindΒ 
Putter: :heavyputter:Β  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,Β Β :bushnell:Β Tour V4

23 hours ago, Josh90 said:

So I have been golfing for about 5 months now and been working on swing inside to outside which is coming along nicely thanks to a practice net I bought about a month ago. I finally broke into the 70s with a 79 and was starting to wonder when I should possibly upgrade my clubs? Right now I'm using taylormade aeroburner irons 5- approach wedge and then I have the tour preferred sand andΒ lob wedges. And after researching my irons I know that they are game improvement irons so they are forgiving but aren't gonna give me the same consistency that higher end irons will. Would anybody recommend when might be a good time to upgrade? Any advice is greatly appreciated

I had a set of Mizuno MX 20's (cavity back) for a few years as I was learning to play.Β  When I decide to upgrade I was at a 12 HC. I love Mizuno irons, so I was looking at MP 59 Muscle Back Irons that, if I remember right, were suggested for a +13 to +2 HC range.Β  I went to a Nevada Bob's to try them and was hitting them ok, but felt the monitor was showing me a little shorter than I should have been with a 6 iron, and the distance varied a fair amount.Β  The sales personΒ  urged me to try some MP-H4's, which are 'Game Improvement' cavity backs.........my first 3 shots were all 15 to 20 yards longer and still as straight.Β  He then used face tape on both clubs and I could see that my ball marks were not bad, but definitely not all on the sweet spot.Β  The MP-H4's were rated as +5 to +15 HC.Β  I bought them, and have been very happy with my purchase.

I guess what I am saying is don'tΒ overestimate the value of clubs that are better than your current game, thinking you are going to grow into hitting them, but instead having your game suffer.Β  The part of your quote that I underlined and bolded isΒ because higher end irons don't create the constancy, butΒ will only beΒ as good as your constancy in hitting the sweet spot, but will be less consistent than goodΒ cavity back irons if you don't.

Edited by metbid

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5ΒΊ driverΒ ;Β  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;Β  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;Β  Mizuno MP T4 52ΒΊ GW, 56ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

My only thought, besides congrats on your amazing progress, is that game improvement clubs are all aboutΒ consistency. Β But what you gain in consistency you lose in workability.

You are the only one who can answer if that lack of being able to work the ball more is hurting your ability to continue to reduce your scores.

John

@Josh90Β It's not the clubs it's the golfer... Congrats on breaking 80 by the way.

My suggestion to you is to get a dynamic fitting after one year playing... (so around Christmas) if your strikes are good and consistent a player's cavity back might be the way to go.... several companies have great offerings at different price points some around $500-$600 some as much as $2500 (PXG)...Β 

Don't be married to one set of irons/brand, try different makes and models.Β 

I know I'm the site's grossly unofficial Exotics staff player... But that's what I liked and fit me the best... I tried severalΒ different makes and models before deciding on my clubs...Β 

So get dynamic fit and keep them in the short grass.

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I changed to the Ping Gmax irons this year. Easiest irons to hit that I have ever played.

If you decide to change, get fitted by somebody who knows what they're doing. Get fitted when you are swinging well, not when your struggling. If you're not sure about the fitting, collect the data and go back later and see if you hit the same spec club well a second time.

Good luck !

Right now I'm hitting the ball in the sweet spot or with a half inch of it towards the toe of the club. Would you consider that to be a decent consistent shot or does it need to be better than that? In my round of 79 iΒ hit one shot fat and that was with my sand wedge. And the majority of my missed were slight pushes which I consider to be a step in the right direction for me

And are my particular set of irons able to be fitted for me or can only certain sets be adjustable?

Wow, @Josh90, that's some amazing progress after 5 months. Β I picked up this game a few years ago and I struggle to shoot in the 90's.

Β 

On 7/31/2016 at 7:31 AM, RH31 said:

I changed to the Ping Gmax irons this year. Easiest irons to hit that I have ever played.

If you decide to change, get fitted by somebody who knows what they're doing. Get fitted when you are swinging well, not when your struggling. If you're not sure about the fitting, collect the data and go back later and see if you hit the same spec club well a second time.

Good luck !

Also, don't get fit when you're worn out.

I walked 18 holes last Thursday and Friday when it was in the mid 80's and felt like the heat index was in the 100 range and by the time I drove two hours away to get fit Saturday morning, I couldn't get properly fit because I was just drained. Β So, I'm going back this Saturday and will (hopefully) not feel as tired.Β 

• Upvote 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

Everyone hits a fatty once in a while. Even pros.Β 

So I'll ask ... age?

If you didn't start when you were under 12 you'll be limited in how good you get. Congrats in breaking 80. You might want to go grab your breaking 80 medal.Β 

Game Improvement irons have a wider sweet spot than say blades. Blades will punish you for off center hits - and this will make the game not fun.Β If you hit the ball dead center of the club you might get more distance even on a GI, but the most important thing is consistency. Consistency gives predictability. Hitting slightly out toward the toe will give a right to left ball flight for a right handed player. When you hit dead center on that same swing you probably push the shot. That's my guess without seeing it.Β 

My questions to you are this: are you hitting target? are you satisfied with your progress? I certainly would be for playing such a short period of time. But I'll guess that 79 was a personal best and that you had a hot day with every club in the bag including your putter. I'll make an educated guess you normally shoot around 87 on the average but have an occasional game in the low 80s. Congrats, you're better than 98% of all golfers.Β 

If on your normal days you're hitting target, I'd just keep practicing and working on getting more fluid and making that swing repetitive. If on your normal days you're having difficulty hitting target (this includes mishitting the ball), I'd take a few lessons instead of worrying about new clubs.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Everyone hits a fatty once in a while. Even pros.Β 

So I'll ask ... age?

If you didn't start when you were under 12 you'll be limited in how good you get. Congrats in breaking 80. You might want to go grab your breaking 80 medal.Β 

Game Improvement irons have a wider sweet spot than say blades. Blades will punish you for off center hits - and this will make the game not fun.Β If you hit the ball dead center of the club you might get more distance even on a GI, but the most important thing is consistency. Consistency gives predictability. Hitting slightly out toward the toe will give a right to left ball flight for a right handed player. When you hit dead center on that same swing you probably push the shot. That's my guess without seeing it.Β 

My questions to you are this: are you hitting target? are you satisfied with your progress? I certainly would be for playing such a short period of time. But I'll guess that 79 was a personal best and that you had a hot day with every club in the bag including your putter. I'll make an educated guess you normally shoot around 87 on the average but have an occasional game in the low 80s. Congrats, you're better than 98% of all golfers.Β 

If on your normal days you're hitting target, I'd just keep practicing and working on getting more fluid and making that swing repetitive. If on your normal days you're having difficulty hitting target (this includes mishitting the ball), I'd take a few lessons instead of worrying about new clubs.

So I'm 26 and my average score right now is 90. And I would have to say I hit my target 70 percent of the time but I've put ALOT of work into my wedges in the back yard so as long as I'm decently close to the hole it's normally not a problem to pitch or chip it close to the hole. And as far as my ball flight goes I am working on hitting a slight fade because I was really bad at slicing a couple months ago but last round only had 1 fade in the whole round.Β 

And disregard what I said about trying to hit a fade I meant to say draw

I would stick with your Aeroburner irons. You're playing well with them, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. You don't need new irons. You're still working on hitting a stock shot. You'll hit a stock shot 98% of the time. When you get good enough to where you can hit your stock shot consistently 90% of the time and start learning how to work the ball - like learn how to hit hooks, cuts, fades, and shots that aren't your stock shot, then you might want to consider upgrading. The deal is that you don't need to upgrade right now. Golf is hard enough as it is. Your irons are designed to make the game easier.Β 

You're playing better than I am especially right now but I haven't been practicing much either. I shoot around 90-95 for a round, but one of the nine holes will be in the low 40s. My back or knee gets real sore about the 15th hole and.... well things don't go so well after that. I play a fade (not a slice)Β on purpose because I had a terrible time with a hook.Β 

Julia

Spoiler

Note:Β This thread is 2807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!