IGNORED

Respect (Or Lack Thereof) for Singles/Walkers

drmevo
Note: This thread is 1574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Maybe singles should stick to empty or nearly empty courses.

Problem is, a lot of those courses are now closed and full of weeds or houses!

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

There is one or two of those in San Diego.

There is a long  9 hole in San Diego called National City where I go out as a single for a practice round.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

12 hours ago, drmevo said:

Does anyone else run into this regularly? ... it starts to feel like the rest of the course wishes you weren't there, and in some cases people behave as though you aren't. Is this just the norm?

If there is a problem, it often is that groups of 1-3 players often do not ask singles to join and that singles often do not want to join.  

As to being "invisible", I haven't run into that issue. As @drmevo said himself, asserting himself a bit more would have solved the issue of the 2-some jumping.  As to the "league" of ladies, I pretty much would never consider playing if I had to follow a league and cutting in with a league is never a good idea.

Brian Kuehn

13 hours ago, 101101 said:

I think the pro shop sets a lot of the one for a course when it comes to this.   I've found some courses will tell me preferred times to tee of or start me on weird holes when they know they've got a gap somewhere that should let me loop around with no issues.  I play those courses A LOT.

On the other hand,  I played a course on Friday that had a walk up group of three ahead of me on line to play.  They scheduled them for the tee time infront of me instead of pushing them to right behind me. This was 15 minutes before my tee time. 

Suprise,  they weren't ready to tee off 7 minutes later and took a bunch of time warming up.  Starter wouldn't let me off ahead of them due to the order of the sheet. 

Ended up skipping the third hole as I knew on the layout I could get it coming back in.  Crazy part was that I was the only tee time in 3 hour block. 

I think you're right, a lot of it has to do with the pro shop.  I always call ahead earlier in the day to find out if I can get out and get a tee time.  Half the time they just say, "yeah, just come on by, we'll get you out" and therein may lie part of the problem.  I will say, I think they do their best to try to accommodate me but there are probably times when they should have just said "sorry, we're all booked up" or "the best time to come would be x".

That sucks about that group going in front of you, sometimes common sense seems to be lacking in the pro shop but I guess with walk-ons they have to make a judgement call on the spot and sometimes they'll get it wrong.

10 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Yes the "up i their business" is the issue.

Let's say 4 of you are teeing off and there's a guy just behind you with his arms folded watching you. It makes me feel rushed. I don't like that so I'm likely to tell him to play through.

I admit, I did do this on purpose to the first group I mentioned that cut me off, but I would never normally.  If I get to my ball too quickly (meaning I'll be waiting) I might pretend to fumble with my bag or something so it doesn't appear as though I'm just waiting and staring.  

11 hours ago, metbid said:

drmevo, do you mind if I ask where you live (just a general idea)?  I live in northern Minnesota, and play all over the state and in Wisconsin, quite often as a single.  I have had no issues I can remember about either being allowed to play through, or asked if I want to join if it is 3 or less in the group.  I do walk often, using a push cart, or sometimes carrying if I am only playing 9.

I live in the Seacoast area of NH.  

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

If there is a problem, it often is that groups of 1-3 players often do not ask singles to join and that singles often do not want to join.  

As to being "invisible", I haven't run into that issue. As @drmevo said himself, asserting himself a bit more would have solved the issue of the 2-some jumping.  As to the "league" of ladies, I pretty much would never consider playing if I had to follow a league and cutting in with a league is never a good idea.

I actually have found out when the men's and women's league nights at both courses I play and I avoid those nights since I probably can't get out anyways.  This was either a work league or a couple's league or something - they have them every day so you can't avoid them but they don't come close to taking up the entire course. 

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Right, the one course that was like that around here got taken over by the city for delinquent taxes or something and now it's being turned into condos.

This is a good topic. My conclusion is that the single golfer is like a party crasher. He deserves some respect, but not much. He should go out of his way to be yielding to others on the course.

You're not really playing - you're practicing. And is it really that enjoyable?

3 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

This is a good topic. My conclusion is that the single golfer is like a party crasher. He deserves some respect, but not much. He should go out of his way to be yielding to others on the course.

Wow, what a crappy way to view a single. A single deserves just as much respect as anyone else out there on the course because they are a fellow golfer. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

27 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Yikes, I guess you are one of the people I'm talking about in the OP (who doesn't respect singles and wishes they weren't there). And, it is playing, even if I can't post.  I actually enjoy playing by myself and I like getting the exercise.  But a lot of times, I will join up with someone else at some point and then I can post if we play enough holes together, so unless it's super slow and I start playing two balls, I do my best to play by the rules.  

21 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Wow, what a crappy way to view a single. A single deserves just as much respect as anyone else out there on the course because they are a fellow golfer. 

Exactly, thank you. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, drmevo said:

, so unless it's super slow and I start playing two balls, I do my best to play by the rules.  

Exactly, thank you. 

Two balls? WHAT? LOL

15 minutes ago, drmevo said:

What are you confused about?

No confusion. You're just compounding your issue by admitting that you will hit two balls occasionally. I've seen this a couple times. Now the single is taking the resources of two golfers and paying for one.

1 minute ago, gregsandiego said:

No confusion. You're just compounding your issue by admitting that you will hit two balls occasionally. I've seen this a couple times. Now the single is taking the resources of two golfers and paying for one.

You are being pretty ridiculous right now. This is not an uncommon practice for anyone who plays as a single on the course. And it's not "taking the resources of two golfers and paying for one" that's just nonsense.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Just now, Jeremie Boop said:

You are being pretty ridiculous right now. This is not an uncommon practice for anyone who plays as a single on the course. And it's not "taking the resources of two golfers and paying for one" that's just nonsense.

How is hitting two balls ( that may land  far apart) not taking the resources of more than a single?

Just now, gregsandiego said:

How is hitting two balls ( that may land  far apart) not taking the resources of more than a single?

No.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

1 minute ago, gregsandiego said:

I've never really agreed with that train of thought. If the course is near empty and you're not holding anybody up, what's wrong with hitting two balls? As far as the singles issue, a single shouldn't be given any more or less respect than anyone else. They shouldn't expect to fly thru the course simple because they're on their own but if there's room on the course, the group ahead shouldn't make that person wait. Just let him thru.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

2 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I've never really agreed with that train of thought. If the course is near empty and you're not holding anybody up, what's wrong with hitting two balls? As far as the singles issue, a single shouldn't be given any more or less respect than anyone else. They shouldn't expect to fly thru the course simple because they're on their own but if there's room on the course, the group ahead shouldn't make that person wait. Just let him thru.

If the single is playing two balls in order to keep their pace slowed down in order to not run up on the group in front, especially knowing there isn't room to play through, it makes just as much sense also. I don't get the hate or attitude of people like @gregsandiego have towards singles on the course. Singles are typically the more dedicated of golfers because we will still go play if we don't have a group to go with. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

10 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Please explain what "resources" you're talking about.  This is getting bizarre.

7 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Please explain what "resources" you're talking about.  This is getting bizarre.

Seems obvious to me. How long does it take to hit two balls vs one? The "resource" is time on the course, which is what you are paying for.

Let's use a a thought experiment if that's not clear. How about the single hitting 4 balls? Would that make sense?  Or why not 5 or 6 ?

13 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

If the single is playing two balls in order to keep their pace slowed down in order to not run up on the group in front, especially knowing there isn't room to play through, it makes just as much sense also. I don't get the hate or attitude of people like @gregsandiego have towards singles on the course. Singles are typically the more dedicated of golfers because we will still go play if we don't have a group to go with. 

Hate is a strong word. I should say I exercise nothing but courtesy on the course - even if I disagree with the practice. I consider this an academic discussion. No need for name calling.

2 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Seems obvious to me. How long does it take to hit two balls vs one? The "resource" is time on the course, which is what you are paying for.

Let's use a a thought experiment if that's not clear. How about the single hitting 4 balls? Would that make sense?  Or why not 5 or 6 ?

Time on course? Really? That's hilarious. If I'm waiting behind people I'm going to finish my round in the same amount of time if I play 2 balls or 1. Heck I have played two balls and still had to wait. You are paying for a tee slot on the course. Whether there is 1 or 4 of you in the tee slot you get the same exact amount of time to play. I've even been told by the person in the clubhouse "it's going to be a bit slow out there, you may want to play two balls" more than once when checking in as a single. And if the course is wide open taking more time is hurting nobody.

5 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Hate is a strong word. I should say I exercise nothing but courtesy on the course - even if I disagree with the practice. I consider this an academic discussion. No need for name calling.

Never once called any names, that's also a strange thing to say. Hate may be strong but I don't mean it in the literal sense either, just some of what you have said in this thread seems like you have some serious dislike for singles. Which I can't understand.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 1574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!