IGNORED

Respect (Or Lack Thereof) for Singles/Walkers

drmevo
Note: This thread is 1568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I didn't quantify it.

I didn't say you did. But you have talked about the time required and the "resources."

I can play two balls faster than most people play one. And WAY faster than a foursome each playing one ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm responding to the original post here.    Yes, I've taken a lot of what is described and more.   The club I play at is pretty unfriendly to singles IMO.  

I've played numerous times with a group in front of me that has room and they dont acknowledge I am therethere, let alone let me go thru.   I've  played with at least three groups that won't let singles or twosomes thru and said "singles and twosomes have no priority" or "golf is a game for 4.   They shouldnt be out here like that".  

I'd say its mainly because people refuse to wait a couple of minutes.  People  are pretty arrogant and self entitled here.  Two of the best stories are 

1 -  on a busy, slow day I wave a twosome to hit and I stand to the side.  There are four groups on the hole.   They hit, then proceed to drive past me, never even look at me and go to their balls and wait for 5 minutes.  They just hit and ignored me.  There was no point in waving  them thru except to play along and they just stood there with their backs to  me

2 -  this happened a couple of weeks ago.  There is a saturday group where I play.  I was in a foursome, but there were 2 threesomes in front of us.  A single comes up behind and these guys treattreat it like an inconvenience.  I thought he could play thru us and join one of the threesomes.   One of the other guys goes "hey buddy,get some friends." about the situation.  I was kind of disgusted about it.  Why make friends with people like that?  They never let him thru 

—Adam

If I ever play single I make sure to stay out of everyone else's way and I tend to see any other single player doing the same.

However,if there is a single player behind our group,and the course isn't full/busy we'd always let him through.

So they changed the ruling from "a single player has no standing on the course" to"no one has no standing on the course" PC gone daft AGAIN!

Common sense and good manners could prevail here ,unfortunately,both of these are going down the swanny due the education systems we now have.

35 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

2 -  this happened a couple of weeks ago.  There is a saturday group where I play.  I was in a foursome, but there were 2 threesomes in front of us.  A single comes up behind and these guys treattreat it like an inconvenience.  I thought he could play thru us and join one of the threesomes.   One of the other guys goes "hey buddy,get some friends." about the situation.  I was kind of disgusted about it.  Why make friends with people like that?  They never let him thru 

It would be hard to choke back even a small comment like "why do you assume he has no friends...?" But people like this typically do not respond well to any confrontation (a plight of this country) so it was probably best to just ignore it entirely.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

51 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I'm responding to the original post here.    Yes, I've taken a lot of what is described and more.   The club I play at is pretty unfriendly to singles IMO.  

I've played numerous times with a group in front of me that has room and they dont acknowledge I am therethere, let alone let me go thru.   I've  played with at least three groups that won't let singles or twosomes thru and said "singles and twosomes have no priority" or "golf is a game for 4.   They shouldnt be out here like that".  

I'd say its mainly because people refuse to wait a couple of minutes.  People  are pretty arrogant and self entitled here.  Two of the best stories are 

1 -  on a busy, slow day I wave a twosome to hit and I stand to the side.  There are four groups on the hole.   They hit, then proceed to drive past me, never even look at me and go to their balls and wait for 5 minutes.  They just hit and ignored me.  There was no point in waving  them thru except to play along and they just stood there with their backs to  me

He's probably like me. Has a boat load of friends, but only 2 or 3 of them play golf. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

52 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

It would be hard to choke back even a small comment like "why do you assume he has no friends...?" But people like this typically do not respond well to any confrontation (a plight of this country) so it was probably best to just ignore it entirely.

It actually hit me hard.   I usually play by myself because of my schedule  and to hear that kind of talk was interesting.  These were some of the nicer people there.  I don't think  were trying to be mean, but it was really ignorant. 

—Adam

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I didn't say you did. But you have talked about the time required and the "resources."

I can play two balls faster than most people play one. And WAY faster than a foursome each playing one ball.

It sure seems like I have the minority opinion here. Me and the guys that seem to run golf courses that is.

Do they allow singles to play 2 balls?

Do they routinely allow singles to go off during the day?

5 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

I don't do it but I don't have an issue with someone playing multiple balls provided they're not slowing things down.  It seems @gregsandiego is the only one ITT that doesn't like singles, haha. 

As I answered before ,yes me and the guys that run golf courses.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

1 minute ago, gregsandiego said:

I've done it before and never kept groups waiting. 

2 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I know a handful of golf courses that will not let singles or doubles have tee times before noon on weekends. Besides that I've never seen a golf course deny a single golfer a tee time during the day. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just now, saevel25 said:

I know a handful of golf courses that will not let singles or doubles have tee times before noon on weekends. Besides that I've never seen a golf course deny a single golfer a tee time during the day. 

You didn't answer the question. Do golf courses allow singles to hit more than one ball?

As much as the rules are picked apart on this forum I'd think that would be important.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I play almost exclusively as a single, and have never encountered problems. Maybe my course is just friendlier or something, but every time I tee off by myself I am asked to either play through or join in with the group in front within the first 3-4 holes.

As far as playing multiple balls goes, a few weeks back I encountered a guy playing about 5 or 6 balls at once, for practice purposes. He was very courteous and let everyone play through and explained what he was doing. Didn't inconvenience me or anyone else from what I could see.

General rule of thumb: No matter how many people you are playing with, or how many people are in someone else's group, be as courteous to everyone else as possible, and everyone's going to have a good time.

52 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The muni's I play in my area, and my home course that I'm a member of do not allow walking before noon, and do not have singles tee times. 

Since I don't have any friends that play golf, but I still play a lot especially at my home course and one other muni near my house, if I want to play golf on a Saturday morning I will just head to the course and ask the pro if he can squeeze me on with any willing 3-somes that morning. I've only done it a handful of times but only one of those times could they not accommodate. 

Regarding playing more than 1 ball, I'm curious about how management would feel about that. Since I walk and it's free for me (annual dues paid, green fees covered) my course has zero problems with this except for pace of play concerns (which is never a problem for me even walking) but I don't know how my local muni would feel about it. You're paying for a round, but you're essentially cause twice the "damage," maybe? It's splitting hairs probably, but I could see some courses frowning upon that or even not allowing it. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

1 hour ago, gregsandiego said:

You didn't answer the question. Do golf courses allow singles to hit more than one ball?

As much as the rules are picked apart on this forum I'd think that would be important.

Just about every course I have been on prefer that golfers don't play 2 ball. Something to do about paying for 18 holes, but playing more holes than the golfer paid for. That said, I have never seen this preference enforced. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, jkelley9 said:

Regarding playing more than 1 ball, I'm curious about how management would feel about that. Since I walk and it's free for me (annual dues paid, green fees covered) my course has zero problems with this except for pace of play concerns (which is never a problem for me even walking) but I don't know how my local muni would feel about it. You're paying for a round, but you're essentially cause twice the "damage," maybe? It's splitting hairs probably, but I could see some courses frowning upon that or even not allowing it. 

Yeah I'd be confused if I saw someone doing that at a public course/a green fee payer doing it. If you're a member at the club then I don't see why it would be a problem provided you aren't holding anyone up.

5 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

It sure seems like I have the minority opinion here. Me and the guys that seem to run golf courses that is.

As I answered before ,yes me and the guys that run golf courses.

Yes, all the guys that run golf course, right? O:) 

As someone who plays as a single regularly, I've never encountered any "guys that run golf course" having a problem with me playing as a single. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

6 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

During the summer, it is unusual for courses in the Boston area to let single play alone because they are usually paired with a group. Courses are pretty busy. But in the spring and fall, it happens more often. The courses I play have no issue with a single hitting multiple balls at all. Often I will play a sand shot or do a pitch from the rough if no one is behind me waiting. I will also do a couple of approach shots. I've never had a range object.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Playing as a single, I've been told by a starter at (at least) two courses that "it's going to be a little slow since it is full - just take your time and play a couple balls."

Anecdotal, sure. But I don't think courses are completely prohibiting or even discouraging this.

- John

7 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Yes and yes.

But it's a different world up here in rural Northern Michigan - at least judging by the descriptions of how busy the courses are in other areas.

Yesterday I walked a practice round by myself and started to gain on the twosome in a cart in front of me. i started taking lots of extra tee shots, approach shots, chips and putts, looked for lost golf balls, and still stayed far ahead of the groups behind me. And with a 24 HI, it's not like I'm lightening fast. 

It effected no one in any way. There's no logical reason I can imagine for anyone having a problem with this.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

8 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

i started taking lots of extra tee shots, approach shots, chips and putts, looked for lost golf balls, and still stayed far ahead of the groups behind me. And with a 24 HI, it's not like I'm lightening fast. 

It effected no one in any way. There's no logical reason I can imagine for anyone having a problem with this.

The argument against it is that you are paying for one greens fee, but incurring wear-and-tear on the course that is equivalent to multiple rounds.

I'm not saying I agree, but that's a logical reason to have a problem with it. 

- John

Note: This thread is 1568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!