Sign in to follow this  
jkelley9

Poorly maintained courses and slope

Note: This thread is 1343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 posts / 579 viewsLast Reply

I play a lot of munis (I feel like I'm posting all over this board now so you guys probably already know that :P) but I had someone say something to me in my group that peaked my interest (this was actually a while ago).

He was lying in the fairway in some really bad washed out area with a super tight lie but it wasn't marked (so it's technically not GUR). He said to me "well this sucks, I have to play it here since it's Spring, I would just move it if it were still Winter." I know what this course's conditions are like in the winter (I played a good chunk of the winter on this course). The fairways get in pretty horrible shape. Virtually 80% of the landing areas are crap lies, a lot of wash out, pitiful grass, weeds, etc. I just played them as they lay because that's the rules if it's unmarked (right?). Sucked for scoring though. 

I do understand that for handicap purposes courses have in-season and out-of-season. Living in NC, we fall under the umbrella where all year is in-season for recording rounds for handicap.

It's obvious that the conditions in the winter versus the lush Spring are WAY DIFFERENT.

Bottom line (my question), are there ANY considerations to slope/handicap Winter vs Spring if the course is in season all year? What would you do? Would you move your ball to an improved lie? I'm sure the courses are rated during the spring, right? Maybe nicer courses have multiple ratings that can be posted in the clubhouse based on time of year and maintenance condition of the course for that day/week/month?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Excellent point.  Bermuda rough is gnarly when green and aces when dormant.  If you do not alter your tactics you are missing out on some seasonal opportunities.  That stuff is not reflected by a course rating that remains constant year round.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!