IGNORED

2016 Olympic Golf Tournament (Men's and Women's) Discussion Thread

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Inbee Park wasted no time in separating herself from her chasers.

Can Gerina and Stacy both play their way onto the podium?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

17 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Inbee Park wasted no time in separating herself from her chasers.

Can Gerina and Stacy both play their way onto the podium?

Big fight for silver and bronze, unless Inbee stumbles. But she seems to be on a mission. Have you heard anything substantive on the possibility of her retiring? A lot of commentators have sort of dropped hints.

I really like Lydia, but she will have so many wins in her career that not medaling would not be a big deal. For Shanshan to medal would be absolutely huge for her and golf in China. To boot she has a lovely personality* and is most defintely competing clean. I'm pulling for her (along with Gerina or Stacy).

*(when she lost out to Mo Martin at the Women's Open Champ she was very gracious in defeat).

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Predictions:

Gold: Inbee Park

Silver: Shanshan Feng

Bronze: Lydia Ko

Let us see how accurate I am

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Predictions:

Gold: Inbee Park

Silver: Shanshan Feng

Bronze: Lydia Ko

Let us see how accurate I am

I guess Inbee was a no brainer, but 2nd and 3rd ... well the names were correct albeit wrong placements.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

5 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I guess Inbee was a no brainer, but 2nd and 3rd ... well the names were correct albeit wrong placements.

True, Inbee was fairly easy to pick.  Got 2nd and 3rd placed wrong.  Still kinda happy that I could at least pick the winners even if the order was not entirely correct.  Can see this being big for golf in China with Shanshan Feng getting the bronze.  In a lot of ways I wish Aditi Ashok had placed or even been close to challenging.  She started off well, with 3 under for both the first two days and at 6 under gave me hope.  It would have been huge for golf in India.  Most of us golfers in India are fanatics but in helping to convert the masses, this would have mattered.

Overall though brilliant tournament

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

19 minutes ago, grantisadrummer said:

I would've liked to see Lydia bring home the gold for New Zealand but Inbee destroyed out there. Well deserved win.

Agree. Inbee Park was amazing this week. She even got up and down for par on 18. She played fantastic golf this week.

6 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

How accurate where you with your predictions before the 1st round?

Why are you always concerned with other predictions-Where are your predictions? How did yours turn out?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

7 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

How accurate where you with your predictions before the 1st round?

Granted, I didn't sit and make predictions before the first round.  Was following it online around the third and fourth and decided to predict.  End of second round I truly wanted the Indian girl, Aditi Ashok, to place.  She was 6 under at the end of the second round and in the top 10.  Such is life

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

A Big Stage for Golf Animates Female Players Around the Globe

But even watching the telecasts from a country where golf is not celebrated, Lee-Pridgen observed that women’s golf in the Olympics was right there beside swimming and track in the public’s eye.

“With golf being in the Olympics, it gives everyone the ability to watch these talented women play and opens up the idea of playing golf to those who are not,” she said.

No doubt, China took notice that one of its 70 medals came from a new sport this summer. Feng said her bronze medal in golf could have a lasting impact.

“It’s going to change everything about golf in China,” she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/sports/golf/a-big-stage-for-golf-animates-female-players-around-the-globe.html?ref=golf

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 8/21/2016 at 1:56 AM, pganapathy said:

Granted, I didn't sit and make predictions before the first round.  Was following it online around the third and fourth and decided to predict.  End of second round I truly wanted the Indian girl, Aditi Ashok, to place.  She was 6 under at the end of the second round and in the top 10.  Such is life

Considering her age and experience, Ashok did great.

Kevin

Stenson's Olympic silver medal up close and personal. If one of the medalists wins The Masters, will we see him wear the Green Jacket and an Olympic medal together?

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!