IGNORED

2016 Olympic Golf Tournament (Men's and Women's) Discussion Thread

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Up to now, all of the talk has been about who's not playing in the Olympics.  But we're getting close to the actual event so now I think it's time to talk about who is playing, what we think of the new course, predictions, etc.

The Men's field: http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/qualification-system/ogr-men/

The Women's field: http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/qualification-system/ogr-women/

The Course: http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-olympic-course-experience

K3T_xy4C.jpg

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, just watched the NBC interview with the President and Feherty and after the NBC announcer said that the golf will be on the golf channel........:pound:  

So for those of us that don't have cable, we're just :cry: Kind of tells me that they really don't think that highly about golf in the Olympics. 

Hate crowned cups.

I know this sounds very un-patriotic, but I made a bet that the US does not win gold in Male or Female events. I hope I have to pay up and we smoke the field. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

They just showed Rickie Fowler with the USA contingent in the opening ceremony.

The announcers are mentioning the golfers, surprisingly, e.g. Sergio when Spain paraded by the cameras.

Of course Bubba, Patrick, and Matt are all playing the Travelers.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

2 hours ago, disco111 said:

Well, just watched the NBC interview with the President and Feherty and after the NBC announcer said that the golf will be on the golf channel........:pound:  

So for those of us that don't have cable, we're just :cry: Kind of tells me that they really don't think that highly about golf in the Olympics. 

OK, but wait! How can you be a member of TST and NOT have the golf channel? :-D

And by the way do you know when the golf event starts?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

2 hours ago, disco111 said:

Do you have a computer? ;)

Pretty sure I heard that they're live streaming all of the Olympic events.

9 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Men start next Wednesday or Thursday. Women sometime the following week.

I'm going with my fellow Bishop Gorman HS alumnus Inbee Park to win the women's gold even if she is playing for Korea. Randall Cunningham's daughter, also an alumnus, is also competing in track and field (high jump I believe). Go Gaels!

I just noticed this while researching how the Olympic golf will work . .

Unlike a regular professional tour event, the Olympic field is limited to 60 players in both the men’s and women’s tournaments. The U.S. has four players in the men’s competition because that’s the maximum number of qualifiers per country provided they’re in the top-15 of the world rankings. Outside the top 15, a maximum of two players per country could qualify.

It seems highly unfair that some countries can have four players in the tournament where others can only have 2.  I guess if I understand it right - the US, the UK and Australia can have 4 players but all the other countries can only have 2.  So not only do these 3 countries have the best players in the field but also twice as many.  Hardly seems sporting . . .

18 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

I just noticed this while researching how the Olympic golf will work . .

Unlike a regular professional tour event, the Olympic field is limited to 60 players in both the men’s and women’s tournaments. The U.S. has four players in the men’s competition because that’s the maximum number of qualifiers per country provided they’re in the top-15 of the world rankings. Outside the top 15, a maximum of two players per country could qualify.

It seems highly unfair that some countries can have four players in the tournament where others can only have 2.  I guess if I understand it right - the US, the UK and Australia can have 4 players but all the other countries can only have 2.  So not only do these 3 countries have the best players in the field but also twice as many.  Hardly seems sporting . . .

Is it any different than in other sports like the marathon or swimming where there are more competitors from one country than another?  If the IOC used the WGC as their qualifying pool then the US and UK are actually not being represented fairly compared to their presence in the Top 60.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

On August 5, 2016 at 10:42 PM, gregsandiego said:

First day of men's individual golf will start on Thursday. 

28 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Is it any different than in other sports like the marathon or swimming where there are more competitors from one country than another?  If the IOC used the WGC as their qualifying pool then the US and UK are actually not being represented fairly compared to their presence in the Top 60.  

Yup, if they were truly "sporting" about it, they'd take country out of the qualifying criteria ... Then you'd have 30/60 from the us (or whatever).  Nobody really wants to see that though so they limit it to allow others compete that aren't in the  top 60.

Edit:. Pretty good guess, it's actually 27/60

Well - I'm certainly no Olympics expert - I have no idea how marathon or swimming works . . are other countries actually prevented from entering the same number of athletes as other countries?  

It seems to me in my simple brain that The Olympics is a contest between countries . . so taking country out of it would just make it another golf tournament. 

Each country should be able to enter the same number of players, imo.   Then the odds of getting the gold would still be heavily weighted in the favor of the US, UK and AUS . .but the way it is now the other countries will need a miracle upset to take one of the top 3 spots. 

13 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Well - I'm certainly no Olympics expert - I have no idea how marathon or swimming works . . are other countries actually prevented from entering the same number of athletes as other countries?

In track and field, countries can enter up to three athletes in each event, so long as they all meet a certain qualifying standard (time in running events, distance in field events); it's the same in swimming, except that countries are limited to two entries per event.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'm really into the Olympics so looking forward to it, even if some of the big guns aren't in it. Watched Rugby for the first time ever yesterday and fell in love with the sport. It's awesome.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Was not interested in this event whatsoever but saw some stuff on MD this morn and my interest level is beginning to increase.  Will probably be a snoozer but if Stenson, Fowler, Reed, Rose and Sergio are among the leaders, I may watch more than I had anticipated.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

If I'm home and have nothing going on I'll watch any golf I can find.  I would rank Olympic Golf between an LPGA Major and a Champions Tour Major both which are below any PGA or European Tour event.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!