IGNORED

Trump Courses - Would You Pay to Play One Now?

Note: This thread is 1499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Anyone who's spent any time in the restaurant or hospitality industry will tell you that 524 individual violations over 5 years, for a property that size and complexity, is nothing.

Yeah. Context is important. Violations can be things like the distance to the nearest fire extinguisher being a foot too far.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have played two Trump courses at Doral as part of a plan I had in 2016.   The plan was to play the entire list of Florida courses that Golfweek Magazine listed as Top Course You Can Play.  In Florida there were 30 and I played all of them.

My wife and I stayed at Trump Doral and enjoyed the stay.  The staff was friendly, the room was excellent, and we enjoyed the food.  While there I played The Blue Monster from the tips... (that was a fun but crazy decision -- only used 1 iron into the 12 par 4s!!  All the rest were hybrids or fairway woods).  I shot 92 that day!!   The day before I played The Red Tiger course at Trump Doral from the white tees, and shot 76.   At 70 years of age, I do not hit it as long as I used to!!  Ha Ha.

Some see everything as a political issue.... I have chosen not to.  If the course is great, and I can afford it, I try to play it.  Enuf' said.  Every Juan to their own opinion.  We can disagree without being disagreeable.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Robbie son of Lucky said:

Sure; I assume it’ll be a nicer course than I usually play on. I wouldn’t play a Hillary-owned course though, and I don’t buy from Dicks since they took an anti-second amendment stance. Looks like I’m alone in this. 

Please be careful and don't drift into political discussions. I know it is tempting with this thread. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, chilepepper said:

I’d pretty much play any course regardless of who owned it. What would stop me from playing a course is cost.

This^^

• Like 2

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Besides voting at the booth, I do vote with my wallet.

Would I?  Yes

Could I? Sure, but I would rather play 6-10 rounds at a regular course before paying top $ to play at a nice or historic course.  I wouldn't gain anything doing the latter.

Will I?  I am sure at some point.  But not until I get a lot better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

This^^

I think I said this a ways back in the thread.  The most likely candidates for me would be Turnbury and Trump Aberdeen in Scotland, and Doonbeg in Ireland.  In each case, there are very good to great nearby courses with much longer history, at a much lower price tag.  If someone else plans my golf trip, I'll play where they tell me to, but I probably wouldn't include these courses if I plan a trip, based on cost and lack of history.  

I do get to play Trump Washington DC (which is actually 30 miles from Washington DC in Sterling, VA) on a regular basis in our local inter-club league.  It has two good courses, with a lovely clubhouse and a butt-ugly water feature, but its not special enough to merit the cost that I know their members pay.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

No. Mostly because I feel very uncomfortable being a tourist in a socio-economic bracket that isn't my own. I don't enjoy Country Club golf for that reason. Something tells me that Mr. Trump isn't providing the muni golf or low key public course experience. As a humble college prof, I couldn't afford or bring myself to pay the green fees for a Trump course in any case, so the point is moot.

I'll demur from mentioning political objections to becoming a customer of Mr. Trump.

1 minute ago, ScouseJohnny said:

I'll demur from mentioning political objections to becoming a customer of Mr. Trump.

I think you actually did mention them by saying you wouldn't mention them.:whistle:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah. Context is important. Violations can be things like the distance to the nearest fire extinguisher being a foot too far.

That is a fire code violation, which is a little different than health code.

17 hours ago, David in FL said:

Anyone who's spent any time in the restaurant or hospitality industry will tell you that 524 individual violations over 5 years, for a property that size and complexity, is nothing.

As someone who worked in the restaurant business far longer than I wanted to, violations happen. Minor violations happen, they are corrected. Repeated violations are a sign of poor oversight and bad management.  

http://data.tallahassee.com/restaurant-inspections/dade/trump-doralmain-kitchen/sea2318051/5398691/

3/9/18:

Inspector's Note

• Basic - Carbon dioxide/helium tanks not adequately secured. **Corrected On-Site** **Repeat Violation**
  • Basic - Fan cover in walk-in cooler/freezer has accumulation of dust or debris.
  • Basic - Floor area(s) covered with standing water. From ice machine. Employee removed it **Corrected On-Site** **Repeat Violation**
  • Basic - Ice buildup in reach-in freezer. Pastry station
  • Basic - In-use utensil stored in standing water less than 135 degrees Fahrenheit. Water temperature reached 62°F. Employee replaced it
  • Basic - Lime scale build-up inside ice machine.
  • Basic - Reach-in cooler gasket torn/in disrepair. Coffee station
  • Basic - Soiled reach-in cooler gaskets.
  • Basic - Walk-in cooler/freezer shelves with rust that has pitted the surface.
  • Basic - Wet wiping cloth not stored in sanitizing solution between uses. Operator removed it
  • Basic - Wiping cloth quaternary ammonium compound sanitizing solution not at proper minimum strength.
  • High Priority - Self-service salad bar/buffet lacking adequate sneezeguards or other proper protection from contamination. Missing in fruit salad section,yogurts ( vanilla and strawberry) ,butter,jelly and cream cheeses.
  • Intermediate - Clam/mussel/oyster tags not marked with last date served. Oyster and clams **Repeat Violation**
  • Intermediate - Establishment not maintaining clam/mussel/oyster tags for 90 days. Oyster and clams
  • Intermediate - Hot water not provided/shut off at employee handwash sink. Omelette station
  • Intermediate - Menu does not identify which items contain raw or undercooked animal foods covered by the consumer advisory. Smoked salmon
  • Intermediate - No color/concentration comparison chart available for chemical test kit used to check sanitizer. Blt kitchen for Quat
  • Intermediate - No paper towels or mechanical hand drying device provided at handwash sink. Bar area. Operator provided it **Corrected On-Site** **Repeat Violation**
  • Intermediate - No soap provided at handwash sink. Bar area. Operator provided it **Corrected On-Site** **Repeat Violation**

But I am sure the greens keeper does a far better job than the restaurant manager,. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

7 minutes ago, Elmer said:

As someone who worked in the restaurant business far longer than I wanted to, violations happen. Minor violations happen, they are corrected. Repeated violations are a sign of poor oversight and bad management.  

http://data.tallahassee.com/restaurant-inspections/dade/trump-doralmain-kitchen/sea2318051/5398691/

3/9/18:

Inspector's Note

• Basic - Carbon dioxide/helium tanks not adequately secured. **Corrected On-Site** **Repeat Violation**
  • Basic - Fan cover in walk-in cooler/freezer has accumulation of dust or debris.
  • Basic - Floor area(s) covered with standing water. From ice machine. Employee removed it **Corrected On-Site** **Repeat Violation**
  • Basic - In-use utensil stored in standing water less than 135 degrees Fahrenheit. Water temperature reached 62°F. Employee replaced it
  • Basic - Wet wiping cloth not stored in sanitizing solution between uses. Operator removed it
  • Basic - Wiping cloth quaternary ammonium compound sanitizing solution not at proper minimum strength.
  • High Priority - Self-service salad bar/buffet lacking adequate sneezeguards or other proper protection from contamination. Missing in fruit salad section,yogurts ( vanilla and strawberry) ,butter,jelly and cream cheeses.
  • Intermediate - Clam/mussel/oyster tags not marked with last date served. Oyster and clams **Repeat Violation**
  • Intermediate - Establishment not maintaining clam/mussel/oyster tags for 90 days. Oyster and clams
  • Intermediate - Hot water not provided/shut off at employee handwash sink. Omelette station
  • Intermediate - Menu does not identify which items contain raw or undercooked animal foods covered by the consumer advisory. Smoked salmon
  • Intermediate - No color/concentration comparison chart available for chemical test kit used to check sanitizer. Blt kitchen for Quat
  • Intermediate - No paper towels or mechanical hand drying device provided at handwash sink. Bar area. Operator provided it **Corrected On-Site** **Repeat Violation**
  • Intermediate - No soap provided at handwash sink. Bar area. Operator provided it **Corrected On-Site** **Repeat Violation**

But I am sure the greens keeper does a far better job than the restaurant manager,. 

So, for parity, do you happen to have numbers for other comparable level courses in the same area?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Elmer said:

Basic - Ice buildup in reach-in freezer. Pastry station

Oh NOES!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

So, for parity, do you happen to have numbers for other comparable level courses in the same area?

No, I do not. The article from where the information came, was based on a statement about 1 establishments "dirty awnings" and did a comparisons. 

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Oh NOES!

Like it or not, a regulation is a regulation. No matter how small or insignificant you feel it is, it still must be adhered to.

Just like golf may have some rules we find to be silly and stupid, we still have to follow them.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Like it or not, a regulation is a regulation. No matter how small or insignificant you feel it is, it still must be adhered to.

Not at all the point I was making.

On 6/26/2018 at 12:49 PM, Elmer said:

3/9/18:

Inspector's Note

As I said.  All minor.  And 500 over 5 years for a property like that is nothing.

I’m not defending anything, just putting it into context…

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 8/4/2016 at 1:58 PM, djfajt71 said:

Speaking outside of the current political climate, I would definitely play, if it falls into my price range.  Of course, the chances of it falling into my range are very small!  Now, if I were to tell my wife that I am playing his course, she would threaten to leave me before watching me give a penny to him.  She has already threatened to move to Canada if he wins!

So did she move?

Note: This thread is 1499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!