IGNORED

Trump Courses - Would You Pay to Play One Now?

Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I most likely wouldn't because I'm not a fan of his plus I don't really have a large desire to play most of his courses, they would be near the bottom of the list of my must/want to play courses.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Personally, I think the Sand Trap would benefit greatly from a complete ban on politics and religion. Plenty of other outlets for that without sullying the Trap. 

As of last week, TST no longer allows political or religious discussions.

Look at the Rules in the Grill Room.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Isn't this thread politically motivated by it's subject and OP? The post has nothing to do with the architecture or playability of Trump courses. It is asking if anyone would play a Trump course because of the candidacy and the political environment. 

So does the "architecture or playability of Trump courses" make it worth the cost?
Or is the high cost due to the name and notoriety?

We have a course around town that charged $180 a round during the summer because all the high spenders come into town for track season.

it is a nice course, but not sure it is $180 nice!
There are other courses which may not look as nice, but are more playable or more challenging?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

1 minute ago, Elmer said:

So does the "architecture or playability of Trump courses" make it worth the cost?

We have a course around town that charged $180 a round during the summer because all the high spenders come into town for track season.

There are other courses which may not look as nice, but are more playable or more challenging?

The high cost is a management decision, part of a strategy to develop an atmosphere of exclusivity.  Mr. Trump's businesses, as far as I've ever seen, aren't aimed at "everyman", they're aimed at the upper financial echelon, or at least those who want to be considered as part of that upper echelon.  Additionally, in the case of some of the newer courses, a rather high level of overall income is necessary to pay off the initial cost of purchasing and building the courses.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

11 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I've never played my only local Trump course but it certainly doesn't stand out that much around here price-wise.  All of the courses around here over charge and there are quite a few with rack rates over $200, it being one of them.  Pelican Hill, Monarch Beach, La Costa, Aviara, Torrey South to name a few.

Their website claims them to be a top 100 course in Golf Digest, and it looks nice to me.  For the right price, I'd give it a shot.  Currently, it looks like their twilight rate is $160 and that is getting close to what I'd be willing to fork over to play it one time.  But I'm in no rush at this point.

• Upvote 1

sure, I'm golfing, not voting

but I'd prefer someone else pay the fee - I don't play what I can't afford

Bill - 

For sure. Just played Doral and it was a fantastic experience. 

• Upvote 1

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

On 11/10/2016 at 5:02 PM, DaveP043 said:

Additionally, in the case of some of the newer courses, a rather high level of overall income is necessary to pay off the initial cost of purchasing and building the courses.

Just read an article about turnberry and how much it makes and how many it employs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-37655823

basically at the moment it's losing money and not employing as many people as the planning application said it would.  I would think it needs the trump brand to be strong for it to pay off financially.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I would love to play one of his courses!  And if I got to meet him while I was there, that would be awesome!

Driver: Titleist TSR1 12*

3 Wood: Titleist TSR1 15*

4 Hybrid: Titleist TSR1 20*

Irons: Titleist T350 5-W2 23*-53*

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50.12F, 56.14F

Putter: Titleist SC Super Select Newport 2

5 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

Just read an article about turnberry and how much it makes and how many it employs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-37655823

basically at the moment it's losing money and not employing as many people as the planning application said it would.  I would think it needs the trump brand to be strong for it to pay off financially.

Trump didn't make many friends locally when he was building Turnberry, so may be a contributing factor to the problem.  

Joe Paradiso

On 10/11/2016 at 10:00 AM, Ernest Jones said:

Personally, I think the Sand Trap would benefit greatly from a complete ban on politics and religion. Plenty of other outlets for that without sullying the Trap. 

I saw something to that affect on the Grill Room page.   Personally as a community I'd hate to see things that people talk about regularly be banned.  Putting it into a corner of this site seems to make sense.   Unfortunately that creates overhead for the moderators because when it gets out of hand (hey, we'are all human it happens) and no one wants to see things get out of hand.

We're a community here, someone going off the deep end has repercussions.  While I'd not cry a river if there was such a ban, I'd prefer that we self police and people who are interested in being a part of this forum respect the rules lest they find themselves on the outside looking in.

I am totally committed to one side of the political argument but have not seen many people on the other side of my views that I disrespect based on what has been posted here.   Those few that have crossed a line are people that I will probably avoid in the future.  That's very much like what I would do to someone in real life. 

• Upvote 1

—Adam

I don't make golf decisions based on Politics.  I play courses I like and can afford, or sometimes like Pebble Beach, just so I can say i played it once. Most non-Muni courses I play I don't know who owns them anyway. 

Butch

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Drew,

This is off topic. The topic is golf courses.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think id still play Turnberry ( i refuse to call it Trump) especially the ailsa course just on the basis of it being a great course. Id have to win the lottery to justigy the green fees though.

Just because the man may or may not be an untrustworthy megalomaniac, doesnt mean we shouldnt play courses that he has "re branded"

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:48 AM, iacas said:

As of last week, TST no longer allows political or religious discussions.

Look at the Rules in the Grill Room.

Yayy!

Vishal S.

12 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Drew,

This is off topic. The topic is golf courses.

I read the spirit of the topic as being more about avoiding patronizing trump owned things in general, but I see your point.

3 hours ago, ghalfaire said:

I don't make golf decisions based on Politics.  I play courses I like and can afford, or sometimes like Pebble Beach, just so I can say i played it once. Most non-Muni courses I play I don't know who owns them anyway. 

I think there is more to consider than politics at this point.  If Bill Cosby owned a comedy club, I would avoid it for the same reasons I would avoid Trump's golf courses.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!