IGNORED

Trump Courses - Would You Pay to Play One Now?

Note: This thread is 1521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I forgot to add ... I guess this means you're not a big fan of the Oceans 11 series movies? ;)

Lol, nope.  Saw the 1st one and I think it's around that time Clooney started mouthing off, or at least that's about when I became aware of it.  

(I'm very happy Denzel and Brad Pitt have been relatively quiet politically as they're my favorite actors. And don't anyone post anything here to change my mind!)  ;-)

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I'm pretty much opposite. I don't like a lot of their views on stuff, but I respect their acting abilities and enjoy their movies. That said, if someone else chooses not to patronize someone based on how they feel about that person, then it's not my place to really convince them otherwise. As much as I dislike Hillary Clinton, if she had a really nice course I'd probably still play it.

I'm in this camp, political opinions are meaningless to me, when it comes to how I spend my money.  If I believe there is something of value that warrants my hard earned dollar then I'll spend money on it.  I'm not going to deprive myself the enjoyment of watching football because some players feel it's their right to kneel during the National Anthem in protest (imo it is their right, though I disagree with it).  

I can't be bothered with finding out who is starring in a movie because their political views might be contrary to mine, if it's a movie I want to see I go see it. 

I support those that factor political opinions and accusations into their purchasing decisions but if I get the opportunity to play a Trump course I will just as I'll watch reruns of the Cosby show and eat Jello Pudding Pops.  If Obama opens a great golf course I'd even play that.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I'm in this camp, political opinions are meaningless to me, when it comes to how I spend my money.  If I believe there is something of value that warrants my hard earned dollar then I'll spend money on it.  I'm not going to deprive myself the enjoyment of watching football because some players feel it's their right to kneel during the National Anthem in protest (imo it is their right, though I disagree with it).  

I can't be bothered with finding out who is starring in a movie because their political views might be contrary to mine, if it's a movie I want to see I go see it. 

I support those that factor political opinions and accusations into their purchasing decisions but if I get the opportunity to play a Trump course I will just as I'll watch reruns of the Cosby show and eat Jello Pudding Pops.  If Obama opens a great golf course I'd even play that.  

I agree with everything except watching Cosby reruns.  I couldn't do that because as im looking at him all I can think of is the things he did.  But the rest of what you said I agree with.  (Id probably be fine watching Fat Albert cartoons tho ;))

12 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I agree with everything except watching Cosby reruns.  I couldn't do that because as im looking at him all I can think of is the things he did.  But the rest of what you said I agree with.  (Id probably be fine watching Fat Albert cartoons tho ;))

Sadly I don't think Trump, Bill Clinton and Cosby are the only celebrities that used their wealth and power to assault women.  In many cases the victims are threatened or paid off so we never hear about them until someone finds the courage to break their silence.  

I think it's probably less common today than it was even 10 years ago because of all the public awareness but I won't be shocked if it still happens with the celebrities today.  

Fat Albert was a classic.  :beer:

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

This thread should get back on topic (or off the topic of assaulting women, blah blah blah) really quickly, please…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've heard really good things about Trump International in Aberdeen and it seems to have overcome all the planning controversy. The issue i have, and this is in no way political, is down to green fees. At £165 is beyond the means of the vast majority of us and it begs the question as to whether any course is really that good it justifies the cost.

I dont think its just down to the fact he has his name on it as there are always extra things going on in the background (maintanence etc.) the affect the end cost to the consumer. However, there are many great courses and "hidden Gems" that offer great golf at a fraction of the cost. 

That said, there are certain courses that need to go on the "bucket list" and i have to say Trumps 2 courses in Scotland are on there.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

11 minutes ago, RussUK said:

I've heard really good things about Trump International in Aberdeen and it seems to have overcome all the planning controversy. The issue i have, and this is in no way political, is down to green fees. At £165 is beyond the means of the vast majority of us and it begs the question as to whether any course is really that good it justifies the cost.

I dont think its just down to the fact he has his name on it as there are always extra things going on in the background (maintanence etc.) the affect the end cost to the consumer. However, there are many great courses and "hidden Gems" that offer great golf at a fraction of the cost. 

That said, there are certain courses that need to go on the "bucket list" and i have to say Trumps 2 courses in Scotland are on there.

A lot of the best courses are expensive to play, with a few exceptions.  Trump wants the air of exclusivity at his courses, so the prices are going to higher to reflect that image.  

Joe Paradiso

The key to the whole thing for me is "pay to play". If I ever pay north of $100 to play a round of golf, it's going to have to be a legendary course, not just a fancy one. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The key to the whole thing for me is "pay to play". If I ever pay north of $100 to play a round of golf, it's going to have to be a legendary course, not just a fancy one. 

Putting aside my other reasons for not playing his courses, this goes for me as well. I rarely pay more than $40-$50 for 18 at the nicer courses around here (I'll play off-peak times and/or walk).  Paying $200+ would only happen for a really special occasion at a course I've always wanted to play (probably one I've seen and admired on TV), and/or involve some of my closest friends or family. 

For example, if my best friend was getting married and wanted to play a Trump course or another similarly priced place before the wedding or for the bachelor party, of course I would shell out for something like that. 

10 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Paying $200+ would only happen for a really special occasion at a course I've always wanted to play (probably one I've seen and admired on TV), and/or involve some of my closest friends or family. 

I guess thinking about it, Turnberry might be a possibility if I run into some very good fortune. Doral is sort of border line particular with my personal aversion to all things water. The rest of his courses, don't meet it. 

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

I guess thinking about it, Turnberry might be a possibility if I run into some very good fortune. Doral is sort of border line particular with my personal aversion to all things water. The rest of his courses, don't meet it. 

This is where my problems with the Trump courses lies.  The private clubs in the US are rather high-end, so I won't be joining them, although I occasionally play Trump Washington DC (in Sterling, VA) in inter-club matches.  His resort courses in the US are also very high end, and they simply don't appeal to me.  In Scotland and Ireland, I'd rather play the more historic courses as opposed to newer ones like Trump Aberdeen or Trump Doonbeg.  The same feeling applies to relatively new courses like Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart, which are also priced as much as 40% higher than their very historic neighbors.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

18 hours ago, Gunther said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable to "boycott" Trump's courses if he offends you, while not knowing allegiances of other offensive names with other companies you may support.  I do the very same thing in other areas of life.

I won't watch Clooney, Affleck, Roberts, Damon and any number of others' movies because they offend me.  I know that most Hollywood actors would also offend me but as I am not directly aware of their viewpoints, I'm happy to watch their movies.  

I'm not watching anywhere near the NFL this year as I have in the past, down probably 100% from past years.  I'm not happy with the BLM agitators and so I'm voicing my displeasure this way, as are millions of others, as it happens.  I do watch the Cowboys, however.  

I just don't see this as hypocritical.

You are missing out on some great movies by Rosemary Clooney & Casey Affleck/
How can you boycott Doris Roberts? She was great in "everybody loves Raymond!"
Johnny Damon is not even an actor, so I not sure what you are talking about!!!!

19 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Really! I bet they would have awesome pudding pops there. :-P

Do you research gas stations before you buy gas to make sure that none of it is owned by terrorist organizations? Do you make sure that any clothing you buy was not produced in a country where there are no child labor laws? Golf clubs? Balls? It seems those would be more worthy causes to me. My mother-in-law refuses to buy or even consume Heinz ketchup to this day based on whole John Kerry association. It's crazy.

I was trying to ask a simple questions and make a non-political point.
Moving away from current connotations that "Trump" brings about, what specifically makes his course worth the cost of the green fee.

I am assuming that the average cost of his course is $400 a round? Which would be nearly quadruple of what I have paid for the fanciest course I have every played.
Like I said around here we have Saratoga National, which is $80 off season, and $160 during the track season. I know they jack the price because the big spenders come and play during the track season. Bill Parcels also is a member.

However it is a mostly wide open course, with some extra whispy grass and some big bunkers. Nothing I would pay $180 to play.

Take a course like Pebble Beach. Most everyone I know will never play it, because we are on the east coast. However, there is a history there. You say you played Pebble Beach and people get jealous!
Same goes for Beth Page, 
But I dont know anyone who had Trump Florida course on their bucket list.

Are the courses tougher?  Easier? Prettier? Better maintained? Have a special history?
Or is it mostly promotion of being "great"?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

6 minutes ago, Elmer said:

You are missing out on some great movies by Rosemary Clooney & Casey Affleck/
How can you boycott Doris Roberts? She was great in "everybody loves Raymond!"
Johnny Damon is not even an actor, so I not sure what you are talking about!!!!

I was trying to ask a simple questions and make a non-political point.
Moving away from current connotations that "Trump" brings about, what specifically makes his course worth the cost of the green fee.

I am assuming that the average cost of his course is $400 a round? Which would be nearly quadruple of what I have paid for the fanciest course I have every played.
Like I said around here we have Saratoga National, which is $80 off season, and $160 during the track season. I know they jack the price because the big spenders come and play during the track season. Bill Parcels also is a member.

However it is a mostly wide open course, with some extra whispy grass and some big bunkers. Nothing I would pay $180 to play.

Take a course like Pebble Beach. Most everyone I know will never play it, because we are on the east coast. However, there is a history there. You say you played Pebble Beach and people get jealous!
Same goes for Beth Page, 
But I dont know anyone who had Trump Florida course on their bucket list.

Are the courses tougher?  Easier? Prettier? Better maintained? Have a special history?
Or is it mostly promotion of being "great"?

Right now, it is $220 to play Doral, but it goes up to $250 Jan - Apr. You're looking at spending $495 to play Pebble. Bethpage Black is $130 weekdays and $150 weekends. It's $90-113 to play Bay Hill here in Orlando. Torey Pines is $183 for a non-resident, and it looks like $329-389 to play Pinehurst #2.

I don't know about the amenities of a DT course, but I imagine they are pretty nice. I read one review were someone was complaining that they were hitting off mats after paying so much. I had to hit off mats at Oakland Hills too. I don't imagine that any of these courses are easy and figure they all are very well maintained. Doral seems to be right in the middle. It is clearly a challenge at a slope of 143 from the blue tees. It's not the most expensive or the least. I would like to play some of these and compare them to my experiences at Oakland Hills which is certainly the nicest place I have ever played.

- Shane

17 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Right now, it is $220 to play Doral, but it goes up to $250 Jan - Apr. You're looking at spending $495 to play Pebble. Bethpage Black is $130 weekdays and $150 weekends. It's $90-113 to play Bay Hill here in Orlando. Torey Pines is $183 for a non-resident, and it looks like $329-389 to play Pinehurst #2.

I don't know about the amenities of a DT course, but I imagine they are pretty nice. I read one review were someone was complaining that they were hitting off mats after paying so much. I had to hit off mats at Oakland Hills too. I don't imagine that any of these courses are easy and figure they all are very well maintained. Doral seems to be right in the middle. It is clearly a challenge at a slope of 143 from the blue tees. It's not the most expensive or the least. I would like to play some of these and compare them to my experiences at Oakland Hills which is certainly the nicest place I have ever played.

I don't know the refrence "hitting off mats", unless this is literal.
If that is the case I am confused and have never had to do so.
Could you explain?

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

11 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Could you explain?

I don't know about those courses, but at certain time of the year at all of the St Andrews courses, you are required to carry a small mat to play off of.  I'm certain this is to preserve the turf during the winter, when the grass isn't really growing.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

1 hour ago, Elmer said:

Could you explain?

Grass tees closed on the range. 

- Shane

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't know about those courses, but at certain time of the year at all of the St Andrews courses, you are required to carry a small mat to play off of.  I'm certain this is to preserve the turf during the winter, when the grass isn't really growing.

Really? I find that fascinating. Around here you just play off the frozen ground. I cant imagine paying good money to lug a matt around!
Does this interfere with the rules, or is this the definition of "winter rules"?

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

5 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Really? I find that fascinating. Around here you just play off the frozen ground. I cant imagine paying good money to lug a matt around!
Does this interfere with the rules, or is this the definition of "winter rules"?

We do the same, although I bet we don't get the same number of rounds that a place like St Andrews does.  And really, if you're in St Andrews, would you choose not to play?  I don't know how it effects the rules, but this is the only way you play there during these periods.  For handicap posting, this might be out of season, and so shouldn't get posted, even if you can find a USGA slope and course rating.  Anyway, this is off the topic of playing (or not) courses owned by specific people.

• Upvote 1

Dave

Note: This thread is 1521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!