IGNORED

Anyone play a seven wood?

Note: This thread is 1941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been using a 7 wood for about 4 years. I use the Maltby version that helps cut through rough a little bit easier and it is one of my go-to clubs. I use it for anything around 215 yards and it's great for getting balls out of the deep rough with some height.

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/5/2016 at 3:58 PM, ZappyAd said:

The PING rep was at our course today so I went along to see about getting a 3 iron to fill the gap between my 4 iron and 5 wood.  This isn't a really big problem for me to be honest but I thought it might be interesting to try a few clubs out.

I hit 3 iron in I series (I have s55), g hybrid 3 and 4, 3 and 4 crossover with graphite shaft.  None of them really worked because I was either hitting the wrong trajectory or getting too close to the 4i or 5w for distance.  Finally the rep gave me a 7 wood to try and it was perfect - right in the middle of my yardage gap and landing really steeply without much roll.  I had honestly never thought about a 7w before but it really did seem like the right club.  

Interested to know if anyone else uses one and how you get on with it.

I play a 7W with a certain type of shaft and loft that promotes a fade from whatever lie I'm on. It's great for recovery situations, but I wouldn't hit it off the tee. From the tee, if it was a long par 3, I'd play my 4 hybrid or my 5 iron. I generally think that 7 woods specialize in tough situations, so I only play one when necessary. Otherwise, I'll replace it with my "special" hockey stick putter that I use for short-medium putts. For long putts, I usually use a regular putter. Anyways, I would only recommend using a 7 Wood for special situations, like a long bunker shot. Otherwise, I use a hybrid.

Edited by ShotShaper77

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2016 at 1:44 PM, ShotShaper77 said:

I play a 7W with a certain type of shaft and loft that promotes a fade from whatever lie I'm on. It's great for recovery situations, but I wouldn't hit it off the tee. From the tee, if it was a long par 3, I'd play my 4 hybrid or my 5 iron. I generally think that 7 woods specialize in tough situations, so I only play one when necessary. Otherwise, I'll replace it with my "special" hockey stick putter that I use for short-medium putts. For long putts, I usually use a regular putter. Anyways, I would only recommend using a 7 Wood for special situations, like a long bunker shot. Otherwise, I use a hybrid.

I totally disagree with a 7 wood being a specialized club.  It can definitely help you out of the rough or a fairway bunker but off the fairway it is a 200-215 yard club that can be worked left, right, high, low, or straight. The only time it guarantees to fade is if the ball is below my feet on a downhill lie.  It is even my go too club when my driver isn't working, my 2 wood would give me too low a shot, and my 4 wood has been fading on me.

As a side note I don't carry a hybrid, nor would I want one.  Those tiny faces go right under the ball in thick rough, and if it actually takes flight it is 20 to 60 yards left of where I was aiming.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to pick up a 7 wood. I love hitting my 4 wood so much that a 7 wood seems logical. Much my chagrin, my 3 iron has been unreliable, even though I am hitting my irons well. I started trying to hit a abbreviated 4 wood instead of my 3 iron, which has not been too bad but not ideal. It often goes a little too far. I bought a Cobra F6 7/8 because I wanted to be able to adjust loft to get dialed in at around 215 yards.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Woods are a funny thing for me. Easy on the range and 3 wood off the tee. But on the fairway a different story. Although distance wise it makes sense but I doubt I could ever get the consistency like a 3 or 4 iron.  

• Upvote 1

On Saturday, August 06, 2016 at 0:17 AM, WUTiger said:

In Callaway's original Big Bertha era (also pre-hybrid), the BB fairway wood lines featured 3+, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 11W. And, this year XR16 FWs  have the same variety.

:beer:  I have the BB setup as well.  My friend gave me the 3 & 5 woods when he upgraded and I liked them so much I found someone selling the 1,2,4 & 7.  I got all 4 for $20!  They were barley used and had brand new grips on them.  Haven't looked for the 9 or 11... not sure if I would use them as I love my irons.

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 7:36 PM, IndianaDundee said:

I go even further all the way to 19 wood (47 degree).    It does take a bit of talent and concentration to hit the little face on the 17 and 19 wood, but I can hit my 19 wood farther than most my playing partners hit their 45 degree PW due to it being 4 inches longer for more head speed.  It goes high and stops within a couple of yards of the ball mark.  My next club is a 49 degree wedge.  No true irons in the bag. 

No irons in the bag?  I would like to see your bag.  Do you have any pics in the "Whats In Your Bag" thread?

I haven't hit many of these woods in a while as I really like my 3 iron.  I usually carry a Driver and 3 Wood.  Use to be the 2 & 4 Woods or 3 & 5 Woods.

Edited by Vinny Cap
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but the title perfectly expressed what I wanted to ask. Some interesting responses here already.

Anyway, In my search to find another long club that I could hit other than my mini driver, I decided to put this in the bag for an experimental round today. It's an old 'big bertha' 7 wood, probably late 90's or turn of the decade (not sure?) that my uncle give me when I was starting out. I used to play in my early days when I didn't have many clubs, but found it very hard to use, like pretty much all other woods. But that was then, and I was generally just really bad. 

So I played it today for 3 tee shots & 2 approaches, and wow, I couldn't believe it. The ball sails right up in the air, lovely left to right flight (any hybrid I try hooks), comes down, rolls just a little, and then stops. 

My only complaint is that it didn't seem to go very far, about 175 yards, which is the length of my 4 iron when I actually hit a 4 iron OK. Not a bad yardage for a club that comes down as steep as my 6/7 irons, but still a little low for a club that feels like i'm taking risk hitting. It's a lot shorter than my 3 hybrid or 3 crossover, albeit more reliable for me on a limited test. 

Given the age of the club, I wondered if anybody had upgraded lofted fairway woods ( @Patch ? ) and found it worthwhile? would a modern 7 wood likely get me any more distance (without compromising height/spin, i.e. not just lowering loft) through better technology, or are the gains of the last 15-20 years too minimal to really make any difference? another 5 yards would make it an interesting club for me.  

There is nothing wrong with using an older club, no matter what number it has on it, if it fills a need/gap in your bag.  My current hybrid has less loft than its predecessor but lands shorter...which is a good thing.  I don't want a hybrid that rivals my 5 wood...or a 5 wood that goes as far as my 3 wood.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• 1 month later...

Use a 7 wood all the time; it's quite versatile.  Lee Trevino said he could do anything he wanted with a 7 wood,   I like the height I get with a 7 wood and it's very useful on long approaches. and out of the rough.  I recently picked up a 9 wood  (Callaway GBB Epic) as well, since I'm getting older and distance is becoming. a bit of an issue.  It's working great on long par 3's and moderately long approaches.  Hybrids are foregiving and I find woods to be even more so.  Since I started using these, I'm hitting more greens and my handicap has dropped.  So, yeah, 7 woods are great !!

I just put a 7 wood in the bag today, was looking at a 5 hybrid and the loft was the same on the 7 wood as it was on the 5 hybrid.  7 wood has a much bigger face and at the range they were all flying high and straight. Let's see how it does on the coarse tomorrow 

Edited by Kloeshuman

I use a 21* hybrid with a slightly larger head.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I use a 7-wood (a 22-deg Orlimar) instead of a 3 iron.  I use it on 185-195 yd shots.  The biggest learning I've had playing this old club is to slow down my swing so I hit the center of the club; I get a lot of height and dial in the right distance this way.  Its not very forgiving on the areas away from the center of the club-face.   I still prefer this over my 3-iron since I can quite easily pull off a controlled fade or somewhat straight direction shot.  Hope that helps.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

I am a 70 year old who can occasionally shoot his age. I carry a Ping 7 wood and a Callaway 9 wood. My next loft is a 6 iron. The 7 carries 195 the 9 185 both carry high then drop with little roll. they work for me. My only complaint is the selection of high loft woods and hybrids in left hand is limited.

Edited by Groundhog34

Given that the thread is getting a bit of activity I thought I would post an update on my specific situation.

So far I haven't added a 7w into my bag.  I'm a bit slow to upgrade clubs at the best of times so I spent about 18 months just living with the clubs I had to see if I could get a combo that works better.  I eventually picked up a 4H from Benross which was (i) cheap relative to other hybrids (b) adjustable.  My thinking was that it might work better out of the rough than a wood and so far it seems pretty good.  

I saw a second hand 9w going cheap near me the other day though and it did make me wonder...

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I don't have a 9w, although I do have a lot of lofted woods & hybrids. My feeling is that a 9w would be less accurate than 5h, and certainly than 5i. 9w are predinomently used by women, and I think that's because the longer,lighter shaft helps get more from a slower swing. 5h is also likely to be versatile, rather than being restricted to very short grass.

When I had success with a 7 or 9 wood, it was with a heavier shaft - 65 or 75g and a shorter shaft length than normal - an inch shorter at times, depending on the starting point.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

So I played my 7 w today, getting used to the distance now. I find I hit it best off the fairway where I get good clean contact,  I know.....we always try for that. Out of the rough I struggled some with it, so I started using my hybrids out of the rough....nothing real deep but deep enough.  Anyway....im starting to really like this club

Note: This thread is 1941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!