IGNORED

What do you wear to play golf?

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2812 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fish nets in summer.  Coarser fabrics as the months get shorter.  Lots of people have a problem with wool...that is their problem.  Years ago the synthetic stuff smelled awful.  It's not so bad anymore.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pants and only pants, even if it 100 degrees. It makes the outfit look sharper and more professional. Also, plug for Alial Fital shirts, only shirts I wear. Fantastic fabric with beautiful original designs.

:titleist::vokey::edel:

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

Definitely underwear. And socks. Dri-fit or similar collared polo shirt. Light-weight shorts (not cargo) with my Sand Trap belt. A hat to cover my bald spot. Oh! And shoes! 

How did I do?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

22 hours ago, NJpatbee said:

Standard golf dress always with a collared shirt even if I am wearing a sweater in cooler weather, with either golf shorts or pants.  I am surprised to see the amount of golfers that wear polos since most of the courses in my region require a collared shirt.  Regardless, I prefer the collared shirt with a couple of buttons since i can keep at least the top button open and not have the shirt resting on the tops of my neck - just a personal thing.  I also tuck (and of course re-tuck) my shirt for the entire round.  Nothing too gawdy but I like to look well dressed - perhaps it helps my self-confidence.

22 hours ago, Fourputt said:

A polo IS a collared shirt - at least all of mine are.  Maybe not in Jersey? :hmm:

At least where I come from a polo is normally not collared.  The brand Polo does make collared golf shirts.  Sounds like a local thing.

Edited by NJpatbee

19 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

#1 priority for me is sun protection. In the summer, dry fit shirt, Adidas climalite pants (or something equally lite and cool), cooling sleeves, hat.

20160810_131104.png

Ditto for me.

Always a long pants, a long sleeve golf shirt or a short sleeve with arm sleeve (like you have there) and a cap.  Mine is a baseball style cap.

I find a good long pants keeps me cooler than shorts by eliminating direct sun.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Specifically for golf...only two things really apply

• Golf Shoes
  • Usually a 'golf' shirt - (it's dry, free motion, comfy, breathable - much better than a t-shirt for freeing up my swing)
  •  
  • modify as needed if it's really warm or really cold
  • (whatever else is restricted if the club has a dress code, I honor that)

anything else is just 'clothes' not golf specific - though my goal is not fashion or anything dumb of that nature, it's all about comfort and ease of swing - whatever helps my game.  Typically other garments are cargo shorts or regular shorts, and a hat/cap.

Bill - 

12 hours ago, WillM said:

Pants and only pants, even if it 100 degrees. It makes the outfit look sharper and more professional. Also, plug for Alial Fital shirts, only shirts I wear. Fantastic fabric with beautiful original designs.

I don't really care if I look "professional", since I'm not and never will be.

2 hours ago, NJpatbee said:

At least where I come from a polo is normally not collared.  The brand Polo does make collared golf shirts.  Sounds like a local thing.

A polo has become the generic term for the typical short-sleeved, 2 or 3 button pull-over collared golf shirt.  It is also a brand of clothing, Polo by Ralph Loren.  It all depends on whether "polo" is capitalized.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'm like many of the rest of y'all, golf shoes, low socks (so my ankles get a tan), decent shorts or slacks (no cargo shorts for me, just my preference) a shirt with a collar (including one by Polo from a US Open Marshall gig), baseball-style hat, and whatever else I might need to stay warm.  I like the newer wicking fabrics, but I also have some VERY comfy all-cotton shirts from LinkSoul that work just as well in hot weather.  My shorts and slacks are in relatively muted colors (shades of khaki, blue, and black) but my shirts run the gamut, from white and black to fluorescent.  I think shirts look better tucked in, even for old fat guys like me.  I think its appropriate to remove your hat indoors.

The only thing I ask of others is to wear what's appropriate, considering the rules and customs of the facility where you're playing or practicing.  

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Definitely underwear. And socks. Dri-fit or similar collared polo shirt. Light-weight shorts (not cargo) with my Sand Trap belt. A hat to cover my bald spot. Oh! And shoes! 

How did I do?

Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual.

I'll typically wear long pants & a collared short sleeve golf shirt (UA, Shark, etc), low socks (but not no-shows), always a hat (either Titleist, Spartan or a course I like) and a glove,. The glove comes off after every shot (OCD) and is never worn for putting.
Sun screen is a must, some sun glasses (but never while I'm taking a shot), cleats or if a casual round with my sons maybe tennis shoes. In colder weather I have a few long sleeved shirts, but usually I will take a vest and or light jacket - if it takes more than that I likely will not be playing.

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

I don't really care if I look "professional", since I'm not and never will be.

A polo has become the generic term for the typical short-sleeved, 2 or 3 button pull-over collared golf shirt.  It is also a brand of clothing, Polo by Ralph Loren.  It all depends on whether "polo" is capitalized.

I guess what many people call a polo shirt I call a golf shirt.  A polo shirt to me is a good quality collarless shirt, a more formal t shirt. Hey, I was a kid in 1950's and word meanings do change.

Golf shirt and shorts in warm weather.  Golf shirt and golf pants in colder weather.

After reading the dress codes thread, I tried walking 9 holes in golf pants with mid-80 temperatures.  Never. Again.

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

2 hours ago, NJpatbee said:

I guess what many people call a polo shirt I call a golf shirt.  A polo shirt to me is a good quality collarless shirt, a more formal t shirt. Hey, I was a kid in 1950's and word meanings do change.

I'm 4 months from age 70 (graduated high school in 1964), so I'm not a kid myself.  I've worn polos (small "p") for 40 years for many casual activities - golf is just one of them.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 8/10/2016 at 1:53 PM, MrDC said:

Always microfiber, polyester fabric to stay dry, and I like the lightweight feel, even in the cold.

Shorts and polo in the heat, pants and polo in the cool, add a half zip in the cold.

Yep! X2

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm like many of the rest of y'all, golf shoes, low socks (so my ankles get a tan), decent shorts or slacks (no cargo shorts for me, just my preference) a shirt with a collar (including one by Polo from a US Open Marshall gig), baseball-style hat, and whatever else I might need to stay warm.  I like the newer wicking fabrics, but I also have some VERY comfy all-cotton shirts from LinkSoul that work just as well in hot weather.  My shorts and slacks are in relatively muted colors (shades of khaki, blue, and black) but my shirts run the gamut, from white and black to fluorescent.  I think shirts look better tucked in, even for old fat guys like me.  I think its appropriate to remove your hat indoors.

The only thing I ask of others is to wear what's appropriate, considering the rules and customs of the facility where you're playing or practicing.  

Yeah I never got the cargo shorts thing. No way could I play golf in them.

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual.

I'll typically wear long pants & a collared short sleeve golf shirt (UA, Shark, etc), low socks (but not no-shows), always a hat (either Titleist, Spartan or a course I like) and a glove,. The glove comes off after every shot (OCD) and is never worn for putting.
Sun screen is a must, some sun glasses (but never while I'm taking a shot), cleats or if a casual round with my sons maybe tennis shoes. In colder weather I have a few long sleeved shirts, but usually I will take a vest and or light jacket - if it takes more than that I likely will not be playing.

I don't putt with my glove on either. If my approach shot ends up less than 12" from the cup, I will leave it on. No reason to take the glove off for that. I have never played with anyone who takes their glove off after every single shot though.

4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I wear two gloves pretty much all the time. Not so much for my golf game but for protection from the sun on the back side of my hands. 

Last year I went through 3 months of skin damage treatments.  Arms, face, ears, and scalp had little spots that needed to be taken care of. Luckily no cancer stuff. 

Some of you youngster who grew up, or live in sunny climates will no what I am talking about when you get past 50. Sunscreen helps, but it's not a cure all. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

19 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I'm 4 months from age 70 (graduated high school in 1964), so I'm not a kid myself.  I've worn polos (small "p") for 40 years for many casual activities - golf is just one of them.

My wife was brought in the same town in NJ as me and she agrees with you - I guess it is me.  Fortunately most people agree on what a golf shirt is!  

polo shirt and shorts 99% of the time ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 2812 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!