IGNORED

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note:Β This thread is 2489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

That movie was incredible.Β 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/14/2016 at 0:32 AM, mvmac said:

Obviously the big hurdle they have is that we already know what's going to happen but done right is does give the opportunity to tell interesting stories and expand the universe.

I thought they did a great job with this. You could see how it fit in, yet they kept how they got there really engaging. I love that the movie slid right into the beginning of Episode 4.Β 

On 10/14/2016 at 8:13 AM, nevets88 said:

I like the darker overtones, but it's Disney, so you know it's going to get lightened up significantly for BO purposes but still looks to be quite the visual feast, love the swamp forest verdant backdrops and the Β cast.

It was definitely darker. Though from what I heard it was suppose to be really darker than what was released. The ending scene with Vader boarding the ship was intense.Β 

Here is a few things I really liked.Β 

1. When Jyn bumped into the one guy on Jedha. Those were the two guys in the catina on Tatooine. Who end up getting into an altercation with Obi-Won. Talk about a bad stretch of days. Almost getting blown up on Jedha, and then they get theirΒ assesΒ kicked by an old Jedi.

2. They used old unused footage from episode 4 for the Red 1 and Gold 1 characters.Β Β When they showed their cockpit views.Β 

3. That they used Darth Vader sparingly. He could have easily taken over this movie and drawn attention way from the clear suicide mission these rebels took to get these plans. When he was on screen they gave him that badass presence.Β 

4. That Darth Vader made his home on Mustafar. Which tells me he still holds sentimental attachment to the location where he thought he lost Padme and where he truly lost his battle to the dark side.Β 

I really like the movie. The only part I did not like was the bouncing around at the beginning. I thought it was a tad of a jumble mess to try to get the characters background in. It was just not smooth. Besides that, I thought it was a really good movie.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I thought they did a great job with this. You could see how it fit in, yet they kept how they got there really engaging. I love that the movie slid right into the beginning of Episode 4.Β 

It was definitely darker. Though from what I heard it was suppose to be really darker than what was released. The ending scene with Vader boarding the ship was intense.Β 

Here is a few things I really liked.Β 

1. When Jyn bumped into the one guy on Jedha. Those were the two guys in the catina on Tatooine. Who end up getting into an altercation with Obi-Won. Talk about a bad stretch of days. Almost getting blown up on Jedha, and then they get theirΒ assesΒ kicked by an old Jedi.

2. They used old unused footage from episode 4 for the Red 1 and Gold 1 characters.Β Β When they showed their cockpit views.Β 

3. That they used Darth Vader sparingly. He could have easily taken over this movie and drawn attention way from the clear suicide mission these rebels took to get these plans. When he was on screen they gave him that badass presence.Β 

4. That Darth Vader made his home on Mustafar. Which tells me he still holds sentimental attachment to the location where he thought he lost Padme and where he truly lost his battle to the dark side.Β 

I really like the movie. The only part I did not like was the bouncing around at the beginning. I thought it was a tad of a jumble mess to try to get the characters background in. It was just not smooth. Besides that, I thought it was a really good movie.Β 

SPOILERS!

I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β I got a bad feeling about t....Β 

Β 

I loved how everyone died at the end. Really gives credence toΒ Princess Leia's a lot of people died for this information line.

One of the planets is an anagram of a certain Jedi, Wonabi or something like that.

It was strange seeing that guy from House of Cards as a lead fighter pilot.

Who are these people wondering if there's going to be a Rogue One sequel? The 10 seconds that happens between Rogue One and A New Hope? Are these people the same people who are spelling it Rouge One? It's not lipstick, it's a sci fi movie.

Β 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I took the family to see it today. Β We really enjoyed it. Β Certainly better than I-III. Β My wife thought it was too actiony, with not enough character development but I got caught up in it. Β Star Wars movies just get to me the way no other movies can. Β 

My 13 yr old daughter likes Jyn better than Rey. Β Not sure why though. Β Something about not liking Rey's hair style. Β :roll eyes:

Anyways, highly recommended.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H,Β Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Β 

We saw it today and really liked it. Β  It was very good at tying into the previous movies and answered several questions.

We came home and had a Star Wars marathon!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

With The Force Awakens, I kept wanting to see it again and again, lost count of how many times I saw it. With Rogue One, I saw it twice, and that's it - even though I thought it could be more darker, EVERYBODY DIES by the end. I don't really want to see it again, probably won't be that excited for the digital release. That might affect the box office compared to The Force Awakens. It's not going to have the same legs.

It's not fair to compare the two directly, they're different movies, but just wanted to mention this distinction.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

With The Force Awakens, I kept wanting to see it again and again, lost count of how many times I saw it. With Rogue One, I saw it twice, and that's it - even though I thought it could be more darker, EVERYBODY DIES by the end. I don't really want to see it again, probably won't be that excited for the digital release. That might affect the box office compared to The Force Awakens. It's not going to have the same legs.

It's not fair to compare the two directly, they're different movies, but just wanted to mention this distinction.

I can see that. I might see it a few times more. I doubt I'll watch it on Blu-ray unless it's part of a marathon.Β 

My opinion on that might change once I see it again.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Rumor the original ending is thatΒ all crew gets away but then Darth Vadar boards, the red glow and he kills them all.Β 

Lots of people saying the rendering of Tarkin wasn't good. My eyesight must be going because I didn't think it was all that bad. Princess Leia though seemed unrealistic, too mannequin like. Will have to wait for screencaps to point out to me what was wrongΒ about Tarkin - I didn't notice the dead eyes.

Steve

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Β This one tops the list for my favorite SW film of all time. Β They just nailed every detail in the film to perfectly tie in to Episode IV.

Now I can't wait to see Episode VIII in 2017!!!

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 WoodΒ | 14.5 degreesΒ | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degreesΒ | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist VokeyΒ SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

Saw it yesterday, thought it was good but not great.

SPOILERS!Β SPOILERS!Β SPOILERS!

Felt a bit like the prequels in that there wasn't a huge purpose to the movie. I get how important the mission was and that it answers the question to why the Death Star was so easy to destroyΒ but do we really need an entire movie on it when we know what happens next?Β I guess I like more Jedis/force stuff/lightsabers in my Star Wars movies. I also want the overall storyline to move forward, we now have 4 movies that take place before Ep. IV.Β As a fan I'm ready to see what's next.

If they're going to do earlier stories make it 200 years in the past, bring back Yoda with different Jedi against Sith threats. ActuallyΒ expand the universe/cannon.

Tarkin CGI was sloppy IMO. Darth Vader scenes were great. Kept his scene time minimized but with a lot of impact.

Β 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

So who screwed up designingΒ Death Stars 2 and 3? :-)

The Empire can't seem to hang on to its top weapon, which has been destroyed more times - The Enterprise or the Death Star?

• Upvote 1

Steve

10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

So who screwed up designingΒ Death Stars 2 and 3?

That's what my son said!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

IMHO - one of the best Star Wars movies so far.

1 - the first strong female role that really was organic.Β  In a world where a strong female lead is forced, or 'in your face', or leans on belittling men in general,or even requires a male comic relief/fool to show offΒ  - "SEE?Β  we are so PC" - ,Β  this one was natural, believable, and not contrived like most all we've seen lately.Β  nicely done.Β  And they even, gasp, did it while using an attractive actress - just like they do with male hero characters.Β  maybe there is hope that this can be done as real life example vs an anti-man or PC overkill style.Β  That character can be a role model for any kid, boy or girl.

2 - the 'droid.Β  WINNER

3 - the male lead - well, if you want to channel Inigo Montoya - so be it.Β  not impressed.Β  you killed my trust in movie characters...prepare to die

4 - tributes and analogous scenes to other episodes - nicely done

5 - Vader - I wasn't impressed with that interpretation - didn't seem to fit well.Β  I'm having a hard time articulating why though

6 - Tarkin's digital character - nicely handled.Β  this isn't easy to do

7 - Leia's digital character - WTF?Β  total disaster.Β  they should have never shown her face or done her voice.Β  For a second I thought I was watching Shrek......Shrek 1.......Shrek 1 on a 9" tv screen.Β  That is NOT the last scene I EVER want to leave a good movie with.Β  IF they'd have ended the movie with the door opening and us seeing her back in robes?,,,,,wow, great ending, instead they ruined it just so the slow people in the audience could have it spelled out.

8 - the Emperial pilot that defected to the rebellion - I see Don Knotts in a comedy doing a similar interpretation.Β  Overdoing the scared fool role was a waste of screen space.Β  I don't fault the actor, I suspect the director made him ruin that role.

great plot - good idea - nice movie - best so far

Bill -Β 

3 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

6 - Tarkin's digital character - nicely handled.Β  this isn't easy to do

7 - Leia's digital character - WTF?Β  total disaster.Β  they should have never shown her face or done her voice.Β  For a second I thought I was watching Shrek......Shrek 1.......Shrek 1 on a 9" tv screen.Β  That is NOT the last scene I EVER want to leave a good movie with.Β  IF they'd have ended the movie with the door opening and us seeing her back in robes?,,,,,wow, great ending, instead they ruined it just so the slow people in the audience could have it spelled out.

agreed!

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

12 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

8 - the Emperial pilot that defected to the rebellion - I see Don Knotts in a comedy doing a similar interpretation.Β  Overdoing the scared fool role was a waste of screen space.Β  I don't fault the actor, I suspect the director made him ruin that role.

Apparently that's one role that was completely rewritten several times. I'm not surprised it didn't come out very good

And I agree about Grand Moff Tarkin vs. Leia. She looked so much more fake.Β 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I can't help but think of parallels between Disney and Apple. Apple manipulating its product line to prevent self cannibalism of its own market share. Disney making, maybe even watering down its one off movieΒ to keep the "prestige" of its saga series. The crawl and theme (mostly) are gone, all the main characters are dead (which I thought added more depth, but thought Disney wouldn't do), the tight coupling toΒ the saga series. Β TheΒ original ending kept Jyn alive. Too bad the scenes with the tie fighter and Jyn on the platform and "I'm a rebel, I rebel" are gone.

Steve

Note:Β This thread is 2489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!