Sign in to follow this  
ILoveMy5Iron

What should i be shooting?

Note: This thread is 1415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 posts / 1083 viewsLast Reply

Ok, so I am almost 14 years old and I was wondering what should I really be shooting im a 20 handicap so i usually shoot 92, I am only able to play 2 months a year for 3 years. So should i be doing better or am I doing good? I have also never taken any real leasons or anything.

9 hours ago, ILoveMy5Iron said:

Ok, so I am almost 14 years old and I was wondering what should I really be shooting im a 20 handicap so i usually shoot 92, I am only able to play 2 months a year for 3 years. So should i be doing better or am I doing good? I have also never taken any real leasons or anything.

Depends on what you are doing in the off-season. Shooting in the 90s is nothing to be ashamed of especially if you haven't taken lessons. If you want to improve, try taking a lesson like the one offered by Evolvr. Also check out if there are indoor facilities in your area or if you have room in your house for a net.

http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On August 15, 2016 at 8:14 PM, ILoveMy5Iron said:

I didnt break 100 til I was 17 and had been playing occasionally for three years. Imho, shooting low 90s is the beginnings of a decent golfer. If thats all the time you have to play and your just 14, well, Id say thats pretty awesome!! Dont let anyone (including me, lol) tell u what you should shoot. Set goals up front and then go after them and rate your success from there. If you do decide your not happy with low 90s, theres lots you can do to improve. Joining this site is a great first step. I think @boogielicious has a good 2nd step. The younger you are, the better it is to get lessons. Less bad habits to break. Above all else, have fun and good luck!!! :)

So, as I understand it, you've played golf about 6 months and consistently shoot in the low 90's. You are doing just fine! I also agree with boogie and stealth in that some proper instruction at this time of your life could advance your game by leaps and bounds! Keep at it. Stay in touch, and let us know how things are going!

On August 16, 2016 at 7:25 AM, boogielicious said:

Depends on what you are doing in the off-season. Shooting in the 90s is nothing to be ashamed of especially if you haven't taken lessons. If you want to improve, try taking a lesson like the one offered by Evolvr. Also check out if there are indoor facilities in your area or if you have room in your house for a net.

http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/

Yeah, I have played since the age of 10 and in the off season I play 0 golf, I wish to but facilities want me to pay so much and obviously I dont have a job and my parents dont play golf so they arent super supportive. I bought my own clubs, bags, balls, everything. Its hard to set up a net but i would like to the hardest part is where i would be willing just its simply hard. But I have close to 1k saved to get lessons from someone who is both good at teaching and good at golf, (just from clearing driveaways, mowing lawns, selling stuff that i no longer need.) so in total ive been playing 6 months. Of playing and maybe only 64 games.

20 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

So, as I understand it, you've played golf about 6 months and consistently shoot in the low 90's. You are doing just fine! I also agree with boogie and stealth in that some proper instruction at this time of your life could advance your game by leaps and bounds! Keep at it. Stay in touch, and let us know how things are going!

Will do, its just hard to get into lessons or an indoor facility because of the prices and I am unable to get a job, and my parents dont play so they dont really feel like spending $500 or more.

20 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

I didnt break 100 til I was 17 and had been playing occasionally for three years. Imho, shooting low 90s is the beginnings of a decent golfer. If thats all the time you have to play and your just 14, well, Id say thats pretty awesome!! Dont let anyone (including me, lol) tell u what you should shoot. Set goals up front and then go after them and rate your success from there. If you do decide your not happy with low 90s, theres lots you can do to improve. Joining this site is a great first step. I think @boogielicious has a good 2nd step. The younger you are, the better it is to get lessons. Less bad habits to break. Above all else, have fun and good luck!!! :)

Youre correct on that part where lessons would help but as ive previously said its hard for me to get into lessons or to a facility to use.

Well, you can find lessons to follow here, so I guess it's a good thing you found this place. I understand that you're still 13, so an "official" job may still be a ways away. But there are ways for a youngster to make money. Anybody in your area need their lawn mowed, leaves raked, snow shoveled? For someone willing to hustle, there are always avenues to money.

There is no guideline as to what you should shoot at X age. It too variable to pin down. Coordination, some athleticism, "natural ability", practice, lessons of some sort all play a part. Don't get hung up on some sort of measuring stick with others.just measure YOUR progress. Enjoy the game, enjoy the journey.

Edited by chilepepper

20 hours ago, chilepepper said:

There is no guideline as to what you should shoot at X age. It too variable to pin down. Coordination, some athleticism, "natural ability", practice, lessons of some sort all play a part. Don't get hung up on some sort of measuring stick with others.just measure YOUR progress. Enjoy the game, enjoy the journey.

Yeah, I know what you mean I'm just wondering like in general is that something to be proud of or not.

22 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Well, you can find lessons to follow here, so I guess it's a good thing you found this place. I understand that you're still 13, so an "official" job may still be a ways away. But there are ways for a youngster to make money. Anybody in your area need their lawn mowed, leaves raked, snow shoveled? For someone willing to hustle, there are always avenues to money.

Yeah, the only thing is it is hard for me to read/watch and then do what they said just because of problems that obly a few people tend to run into I usually am part of the few it took me 1 hour plus of watching videos just to try for backspin plus the several games I played trying g to do it. That's why hands on lessons would help. 

I'm not 100% sure what lessons cost up in Canada, but where I am from (North Dakota) I spent $80 for (2) 1 hour sessions.  I already had a decent swing, just wanted to go from fade to a draw.  He gave me some things to work on after the first session and told me when I was comfortable with that to set up another session.  $500 seems a little spendy to me, but like I said I don't know what the prices are up there.  Have you looked into lessons and prices?  That would be the best way to improve rather quickly.

Note: This thread is 1415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!