IGNORED

My Swing (lastings)

lastings

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, lastings said:

Thank you.    I was thinking that first move out was looking not so appealing.     Thanks for the input.  I’ll get to work. 

Back and up, not out and around.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Figured since I have this, I may as well post it.   Even though it’s not a good video. Can’t get back far enough. 

driver swing is quite a bit more flat.  Probably too much sway rather than turn.    But, I’m really working on speed, and this summer I averaged 278 off the tee with driver and hit 61% fairways.     So, I just don’t think it’s my biggest concern.  I do want to be longer, though.  

On 11/27/2021 at 7:17 PM, iacas said:

Back and up, not out and around.

Ok…. Question:  

I’ve been watching videos… lots of them.  
just trying to understand what this out and around move is causing.  

everyone comes straight back and up (except DJ a little bit, but, there’s a lot going on there that it seems unreasonable to replicate)  

so.. it seems that old rickie comes back and up and then lays it flat and by the time he’s coming down, he’s as flat as I am.  But, because he starts back and up and lays it, his right elbow is in front of his chest.  

where Rory stays much more vertical, giving his elbow much more room to work on the way down. 

69CD0929-D5D7-4E34-9420-5D29D7225F83.thumb.jpeg.9b9dcf4358cd0a587d0b0bf3b5afa207.jpegD2A72D98-7B62-4E4F-87B3-A814875FED4D.thumb.jpeg.2d6c5b70a390f4c518e838d4cf6fa444.jpeg

Whereas, because I am going out and around, my right elbow has a tendency to get stuck at my ribs forcing me to throw my hands around my body causing hook. 

just asking as I’m gonna do some work tomorrow, and want to get an idea of what to feel on the way down as I try to go more back and up to the top. 

are these reasonable thoughts? Or am I overthinking? 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, lastings said:

just trying to understand what this out and around move is causing.

You go out away from you too much to start. Thus, what it "causes" is for you to then go too much "around" you the rest of the backswing. This puts you in a "too shallow" position (notice where the shaft is pointing) and requires you to steepen it a precise amount exactly at the moment when you have a tremendous amount of force and very little time to act on the club (transition into the downswing).

• Weight WAY back in your heels.
  • Hands go out away from you.

01.jpg

• Hands track around, club is super shallow and not pointing anywhere near the target line.

02.jpg

• Club MUST steepen in transition to get anywhere close to the ball. Bad time to do this.

03.jpg

The driver swing is much worse, as at least with the irons you maintain something of a neutral shoulder tilt. Not so with the driver:

04.jpg05.jpg

Big trouble there.

See this topic for your setup:

so.. it seems that old rickie comes back and up and then lays it flat and by the time he’s coming down, he’s as flat as I am.  But, because he starts back and up and lays it, his right elbow is in front of his chest.

You ain't Rickie.

just asking as I’m gonna do some work tomorrow, and want to get an idea of what to feel on the way down as I try to go more back and up to the top. 

You're miles away from being able to "feel on the way down." You need to spend a lot of time on the first foot of your backswing, and then the first three feet, and then the next three feet…

After you spend time on your setup.

noted, and thank you.  

bringing alignment stick with to dome tonight.   working on setup/first 3 feet.   

hopefully can make a bit of improvement and get some video.  

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, lastings said:

working on setup/first 3 feet

Or…

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

You need to spend a lot of time on the first foot of your backswing

🙂

To be fair your club might move 3' if your hands move 1'. 😄

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or…

🙂

To be fair your club might move 3' if your hands move 1'. 😄

:beer:

Also, I like this as a priority piece.    Something I can definitely work on at home in my living room as well.   

makes me wonder, though...  If my irons have such a tendency to go out rather than straight back, and I didn't really realize it without video...     
What is my putter doing???   :blink:

Ok.  Got some work in today.  Working really nice with the irons.  Driver not so much.   Couldn’t consistently get comfortable at the top of the swing, and was having a tough time hitting the center of the face.   But, there were a couple times where I did get my hands up higher and with good balance and I really felt like I had more room to whip the club through. I’ll get after it this weekend.  

anyways…  tried to get some video before I left and turned out to be kind of a shitty angle and zoomed in a bit or something.   

think I’m making progress here and I’m sure I had some better ones where the club was more vertical while I was working on it.  But, I get a bit nervous when I video I think.  Gotta ingrain in a bit until it feels more natural.    Also… ugh..  noticed my grip got a bit strong again here.  Learn one thing, forget another..    I wonder if I’ll ever be able to put it all together.  

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's been one day. This will take a few months.

No.  I wanna be good at golf now!!! 

ha!  No, I’m just kidding.  I do appreciate the fact that it was not expected of me to have this down in one day.  But, I do think I made a bit of progress 

but, question:  it feels like turning my left shoulder to the ground equals back and up.  This seem reasonable and/or accurate? 

@lastings I think this would be a good drill for you to spend some time on as I have gone thru something similar in my own swing. And@iacas can correct me if he thinks differently. 

I would show us some video of you actually doing this drill to see if you are doing it correctly. It's not as easy as it looks at first.

Good luck and stay the course, it's worth it.

• Like 1