IGNORED

Ryan Lochte Told a 'Whopper'?

natureboy
Note: This thread is 2755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Starting to look like Ryan Lochte's claimed 'mugging' was a way to cover for some 'Frat boy' yob behavior.

The cover up is usually much worse than the crime. If they had been honest from the start, I bet he could have pleaded to the equivalent of a misdemeanor or a ticketable offense and it would have blown over in a week or two.

Now this has a chance to define his image for the rest of his life. Still has a chance to put it straight.

When the Rio authorities are already stretched thin, and there are actual victims of crime to follow through for, it's understandable the police don't want to be wasting investigator's time getting to the bottom of what is run of the mill drunk and disorderly conduct. Trying to use the dangerous reputation of Rio as a way to duck your own bad behavior is sleazy and even more juvenile than being a drunken lout.

They will now want to make an example of him. Be smart Ryan and come clean. In the eyes of the Brazilians, you have now elevated it to the level of an international incident. If you apologize for wasting their time / lying and pay for the damage to private property, it's likely they'll let it go.

http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/lochte-3-us-swimmers-lied-about-robbery-in-rio-report/

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

He is not the brightest. 

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, kpaulhus said:

He is not the brightest. 

The Olympics rarely consists of an event where brainpower is paramount.  In my lifetime, golf and bridge might be the only Olympic events where that was a vital component. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

15 minutes ago, Shindig said:

The Olympics rarely consists of an event where brainpower is paramount.  In my lifetime, golf and bridge might be the only Olympic events where that was a vital component. 

Badminton looks pretty strategic & for equestrian events the horse is doing all the work, but I get your point. :-D

Kevin

He has been given multiple opportunities to say this was a fabricated story and he has not taken the chance to clear it up. Now he is safe in the US, and the other guys are probably being detained and being told they are going to go to jail and they are likely to tell the truth. 

Now it is a mess. 

Michael

He took a play out of Robert Allenby's playbook. Pass the popcorn please.

• Upvote 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Not to be the Devil's advocate...but does the security footage of one incident prove that another incident didn't happen? 

I mean, it seems likely that it was fabricated, but not certain.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

He took a play out of Robert Allenby's playbook. Pass the popcorn please.

They're an autocomplete pairing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I get that it's a douche move but with all that is nuts in the world I hope the media can drop it. I watched CNN on Sling this AM and it was non-stop.

Dave :-)

The first question I had was, why bother to tell the story at all?  It was a self-contained incident somewhat, from what I can tell.  They paid the gas station owner for the door and moved on, end of story.  Well, it sounds like the reason that he made up the story was simply for his mother.  Who then went into full "embarrass your kid at all costs" mode and told the world, and it snowballed from there.  From this story:

Lochte first lied about the robbery to his mother, Ileana Lochte, who spoke with reporters, the police official told the AP. That led to news coverage of the incident and prompted police attention.

Moral of the story:  Don't lie to your mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

I don't get the point of him saying they were held up at gunpoint and only had his cash stolen.  What happened to his cash and given his age why did he have to create a cover story?  

Joe Paradiso

1 minute ago, newtogolf said:

I don't get the point of him saying they were held up at gunpoint and only had his cash stolen.  What happened to his cash and given his age why did he have to create a cover story?  

See my post above yours ... they gave their cash to the store owner to pay for the door and he created the story for his mom. ;)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

See my post above yours ... they gave their cash to the store owner to pay for the door and he created the story for his mom. ;)

If I had waited one more minute I would have had the answer, thank you!  

If he needs to create such a bogus story at his age for his mom then he really has some issues beyond the potential legal ones he's facing.  

Joe Paradiso

Just now, newtogolf said:

If he needs to create such a bogus story at his age for his mom then he really has some issues beyond the potential legal ones he's facing.  

Seriously.  It's not like he's 13 (I think we all lied to our mom about stuff we thought would get us into trouble at that age) ... the dude is 32 years old!

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Seriously.  It's not like he's 13 (I think we all lied to our mom about stuff we thought would get us into trouble at that age) ... the dude is 32 years old!

Physically... yes. Mentally...

• Upvote 2

- Shane

Americans are a forgiving people as long as you come clean. 

Good example(s) from sports 1. Andy Pettitte admits PED use = forgiven. 2. Barry Bonds perjures himself; trainer Greg Anderson goes to jail = villain forever.

Edited by Kalnoky

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

Badminton looks pretty strategic & for equestrian events the horse is doing all the work, but I get your point. :-D

Yeah, I guess I forgot that they had those.  Football is pretty cerebral, but it's been a while since that was in the Olympics.

Oh, and I guess I should post this link: http://www.theonion.com/article/ryan-lochte-now-changing-account-events-going-back-53549

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!