IGNORED

How to improve body/hips turn and club lag

Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am working on my body/hips rotation and "feeling" the lag of the club head: I start from a vertical position and only doing a 1/2 turn back then turning my hips(faster) and let the club come from behind. The "feeling" is awesome: I start to feel the power, the lag of the club and I also got some very good ball speed measurements. Problem is when I try to "mix" my old swing(mostly the backswing but also the address position, knee flex, etc) with the new (improved) turn I lose it... Any advice on how to use this "vertical" turn drill and use it on the real swing ?

Thanks !

2 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

You can't just do lag.  It happens. 

This

You can't create or "hold on to lag" in this sense. Lag happens as a result of good, matching sequence and parts. 

Trying to hold lag and firing your hips and lower body out as fast as you can at the start is a good way to do the exact opposite of it. Work on getting your swing in sync and your body will create the requisite amount of lag -- properly. 

Contribute to TST and post a My Swing thread, and that'd be a good way to start improving your swing. :-)

Andrew M.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Trying to hold lag and firing your hips and lower body out as fast as you can at the start is a good way to do the exact opposite of it"

Not really about the lag, I was mentioning this as I can't seem to get my hands to lead the club in the downswing and this "drill" looks like is helping me  with this "feeling". Recently looks like my driver is getting better but I really lost my iron play...

Thanks for the reply, I will post a swing soon.

For me, many of my problems were solved when I learned to maintain the "triangle" both during backswing and during downswing.

On the backswing, my torso and arms move together keeping the triangle. When the shoulders stop turning the arms stop too.

On the downswing, the torso and the arms move together again maintaining the triangle until impact.

If you do this the lag happens by itself.

I strongly recommend trying the above with a half swing where the left arm only reaches 9 o'clock position. This makes it easier to understand, feel and learn the movement. There are many videos that talk about the "triangle"

this is what worked for me.

1 hour ago, arturo28mx said:

For me, many of my problems were solved when I learned to maintain the "triangle" both during backswing and during downswing.

On the backswing, my torso and arms move together keeping the triangle. When the shoulders stop turning the arms stop too.

On the downswing, the torso and the arms move together again maintaining the triangle until impact.

If you do this the lag happens by itself.

I strongly recommend trying the above with a half swing where the left arm only reaches 9 o'clock position. This makes it easier to understand, feel and learn the movement. There are many videos that talk about the "triangle"

this is what worked for me.

I also try to make sure that the inside pits of the elbows are pointing skyward. This helps ensure your arms are close together and makes forming a chicken wing less likely. Same principle, just narrower triangle and for me, easier to maintain.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Actually the turn on the downswing is killing me: I either come too fast with the hands or I slide my hips.  I feel like I finally get it with the driver (maybe because the whole swing is taking longer) but I get so frustrated with the irons … For now I start practicing the ½ swing using the short irons and I am also considering getting an Orange whip.

Any advice or drill that helped you with the turn move?

Thanks !

A couple of things.  And this is coming from someone who A) is only starting to improve recently by playing frequently and B) went through the same lag epiphany as you. So I've been doing a lot of learning this year. Arturo28mx's post is spot on.  Keep that positioning in mind and your arms will naturally follow in a manner that forms lag without necessarily "doing" it.

Second, if you have a towel, tuck it under your armpits and swing so your armpits stay flush with your torso.  Otherwise the towel falls out. To be honest, I didn't actually do it, but I knew what the point of the drill was (doing the body motion that arturo28mx talked about) so I just imagined having swinging with a towel tucked under my armpits and it helped immediately.  My $0.02.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

What about the hips turn?  I can’t seem to be able to start the downswing with the turn and “let the club fall”, the feeling I have is that my hands are initiating the downswing.

Note: This thread is 2797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!