IGNORED

Trouble following up a good round!

dove694
Note: This thread is 2799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have broken par three times in 2016, and each time I followed it up with a round in the 80s the next time out. I played the last two days I shot 69 (-3) one day and 82 (+10) the next. And on two separate occasions I have shot 80 after being 71 in my previous round. Do any of you deal with this? What do you think causes it? Any insight on how to fix it? 

I should add that all my rounds were played on courses of similar difficulty (~6300 yards, Par 72). It's not like I played a really easy course one day and Bethpage Black the next. I just played much worse in the second round!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After a hot round I sometimes feel a different pressure when starting the next round, as if I'm suddenly aiming to par/birdie each hole, when for me a great round results from mitigating my bad shots, making good decisions, getting solid contact, missing in the right spot. Particularly notice I'll aim for the flag more when being short on a tricky uphill green is the safer play etc and then curse myself when facing a 35ft downhill putt.

More or less like @Lazarus said. After a good round, I really let my expectations get away from me.

Earlier this year I had a great (for me) 84 on this particular course. Four days later, I hooked my tee shot on the first hole and proceeded to have a miserable front nine. I was killing myself over every mishit and those mishits just multiplied. Took a bit of a pause at the turn, collected myself and did a bit better on the back.

• Upvote 1

Agree with everyone so far.   I put expectations on myself that adds pressure to the swing.  I try to tell myself that it's ok to not have a good round and lower my expectations after going low.

—Adam

I think that when we shoot great rounds like that, it becomes the expected for awhile.  Now we know it can be done, so we take on more pins, try to crush our drivers, just basically try much much harder to achieve that score again.  I would advise playing like you normally play, be aggressive on the holes you would normally be aggressive on, lay back on the others, etc.  My last (2) 18 hole rounds have been -1 and -3, but in the 2nd round I still played for the middle of the greens on holes I normally would and went at the pin on the others, I didn't change up my game plan much. 

I can only pile on with the rest of the posts, sometimes a really good round will get me to change expectations or strategy.  When I've strung a few good rounds together, its due in at least in part to keeping my approach the same.  I don't go to the first tee thinking of the birdie I made yesterday, I try to be thinking of a solid tee shot in the fairway.  So what if I hit my second shot yesterday to 4 feet, I'll still be happy to be within 15 feet right now.  When you shot 69, what were you thinking of on the 17th tee?   Were you trying to keep the possible total score out of your mind, or saying "If I make 2 more birdies I'll shoot 67"?  For that matter, what were you thinking on the 1st tee? Yesterday doesn't matter, your total score at the end of today doesn't matter, only the one shot you're going to hit next matters.

On the other hand, you should never expect to follow a really outstanding round with another outstanding round.  If you did that all the time, they wouldn't stand out.  We all have some variability in our games.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Having a great round sets the level of expectation higher and clearly shows your potential of playing better if you are committed to becoming a better ball striker or attempting to achieve personal goals. They are also outside elements which can either enhance or challenge any outcome on any given day.

I've had successful multiple rounds and rounds when Holy Shit hits me ... But, the end goal is to give it your best.

I forget the great rounds just as I forget the bad rounds, but I always remember I Love the Game.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

After a great round I go to the course on the next occasion full of piss and vinegar ready to take on the world.

Golf has a great way of stomping you into the ground again.

I had a great round yesterday but will try to keep my head down(pun intended) tomorrow.

Note: This thread is 2799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!