IGNORED

What is your birdie conversion rate from GIR?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 2700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Admittedly the amount of data points is limited.  Based on the responses excluding the guestimates and tossing out the high & low, here is what I see:

Handicap        Birdie Conversion %

+1 to 7                   13% to 20%

8 to 20                     8% to 11%

There is a fairly obvious relation of handicap to conversion with a few outliers where a somewhat higher handicapper converts at a percentage beyond what one might expect.

It would be interesting to see how this changes if you exclude under GIR. I know that I make more than half of my birdies on par 5s, and a lot of those come from hitting the green in 2 and 2 putting. I also almost never make birdies on par 3s. Once you hit a lot of approach shots with a 7 iron and higher, you end up making very few birdies.

I don't track under GIR, though, so I have no idea what that would do to the stats.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

About what I expected since I have only, until recently, managed to have more than 1 birdie per round:

GIR - 44%; Birdies - 3% = 6.8%

I did recently break the 1 bird per round mark with 2, then a whopping 3 last Friday! Unfortunately that 3 birdie round didn't make it into GG because of technical issues. Sucks too because it was one of the best putting/ball striking days I've had this season.

4 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Admittedly the amount of data points is limited.  Based on the responses excluding the guestimates and tossing out the high & low, here is what I see:

Handicap        Birdie Conversion %

+1 to 7                   13% to 20%

8 to 20                     8% to 11%

There is a fairly obvious relation of handicap to conversion with a few outliers where a somewhat higher handicapper converts at a percentage beyond what one might expect.

Thanks for the summary.   Obviously, lower handicappers hit closer to hole, and are better at putting.   I am at around 8% and have plenty of room to improve on both.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I dont have exact stats on my game, but i feel like i hit greens in reg at least 50% of the time. On average i say i make 2 birdies a round.

I couldn't tell you at all how many birdies i make off of GIR, but if i put those two guestimates together, i get 22% chance of birdie per GIR. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

I did it long hand and looked at my last 6 months of rounds.  (I didn't want to start with raw birdie %, because a good number of my birdies are chip-ins--turns out to be about 1/3 of them--so those birdies are never GIR to begin with.)

So looking at birdies where I GIR'd, I get 8.3%.  But one of those was a short par-4 when I drove the green and two-putted.  Dropping it back to GIR and one-putts to make birdie gets me to 7.3%.

Handicap on GG is 19.1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

This has been a real frustration for me over the last 2 months. I'm striking the ball better than ever, hitting high numbers of GIR (for me), and also hitting a fair few to within 15 feet. I don't have GG or monitor my stats enough to be exact, but I would guess conversion rate would be 5% max.

I'm not particularly unhappy with my putting either, but when I stand over a makeable birdie putt I tense up, and in my head I'm thinking 'don't race it past and make bogey'. Rather predictably, I end up hitting them short or with no conviction to hold the line. With par putts I'm much more relaxed and actually make more than my fair share of up & downs. 

During the past year, it's been around 12 to 15 birdies per 20 rounds and around 25 to 30% GIR.  So, let's say 13.5 birdies per 20 rounds (which is 3.75% birdie rate with 13.5 birdies out of 360 holes) and 27.5% GIR.  This come to about 13% assuming very few birdies are chip-ins or putts from the fringe. 

My handicap is just under 10 (9.3 at the moment) after spending most of the year between 10 and 11.

Edited by sjduffers
  • Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

In the 18 rounds that I have played since a 2 year layoff I am at 13%, but the last 5 rounds are 20% with 6 birdies between 3 of those rounds. The stat is a little skewed because I have played one particular course with smallish greens for 2 of those rounds needing only 24 and 28 putts because I was just missing the greens marginally. I am playing to a low 5 now. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 2700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!