IGNORED

Kaepernick Sits for National Anthem

14ledo81
Note: This thread is 1878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, kegan116 said:

I see him getting on a team mid season as a backup. He isn't good enough anymore to be a starter.

Agree. He really regressed without Harbaugh as a coach.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is wrong to engage in as much schadenfreude as I have over the past few months.  I should be ashamed but oddly...

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• 1 year later...

“Today, we were informed by the NFL of the settlement of the Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid collusion cases,” the NFLPA said. “We are not privy to the details of the settlement, but support the decision by the players and their counsel. We continuously supported Colin and Eric from the start of their protests, participated with their lawyers throughout their legal proceedings and were prepared to participate in the upcoming trial in pursuit of both truth and justice for what we believe the NFL and its clubs did to them. We are glad that Eric has earned a job and a new contract [from the Carolina Panthers], and we continue to hope that Colin gets his opportunity as well.”

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

What an inane piece of crap comment by the NFLPA! "We don't know anything about it, but we support it!" HUH?! It was widely speculated that the players would lose since there was ZERO evidence of collusion, but it seems the NFL decided to pay them off to make Kaepernick go away! 

Apparently silence has a price, and the NFL was able to buy Kaepernick's! If he was truly dedicated to his "cause" he would have refused the settlement and made this go to trial. I expect he didn't because he, or his counsel, knew he would lose! 

What amazes me is how tone deaf some of the supporters of Kaepernick are. I understand, academically, what they are protesting. But you have the flag displayed, the anthem being played, military and first responders on the field, and these players seem to be flipping the bird at all of that! That provokes a visceral reaction, which is usually stronger than an intellectual one. They didn't seem to realize that it was a bad look!

In Cleveland the local safety forces announced publicly that if Browns players wanted to protest along with Kaepernick they would refuse to provide security services for the stadium! Actions have reactions. 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, dennyjones said:

Colin gets his opportunity as well.”

The one question I have which is lost in all of this is that Colin Kaepernick opted out of his contract in San Francisco. I can't pretend to understand all the idiosyncrasies of NFL contracts, but I thought opting out was like quitting. When Colin opted out, the 49ers literally had NO other quarterbacks on their roster. How can Colin sue the league and say they won't give him a job, when he just quit his job?

I'm seriously asking this question because I've not heard anyone explain this, and I truly don't understand it. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

How can Colin sue the league and say they won't give him a job, when he just quit his job?

The only possible case he would have would be claiming it was a hostile work environment. That said, odds are he has little to no case for that and is just hoping for some kind of settlement because that's often cheaper than fighting the lawsuit would be.

He was trying to catapult his career and put himself into a national spotlight. He got the spotlight, but it wasn't quite what he was hoping for and it backfired terribly. He can't sue potential employers for refusing to hire him on the basis of him being bad for business, that would be akin to Joe Schmoe suing Walmart for not hiring him again after he just trashed the stock room and cost Walmart a bunch of money. Refusing to hire someone for a reason other than them being a member of a protected class is perfectly legal.

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

The only possible case he would have would be claiming it was a hostile work environment. That said, odds are he has little to no case for that and is just hoping for some kind of settlement because that's often cheaper than fighting the lawsuit would be.

He was trying to catapult his career and put himself into a national spotlight. He got the spotlight, but it wasn't quite what he was hoping for and it backfired terribly. He can't sue potential employers for refusing to hire him on the basis of him being bad for business, that would be akin to Joe Schmoe suing Walmart for not hiring him again after he just trashed the stock room and cost Walmart a bunch of money. Refusing to hire someone for a reason other than them being a member of a protected class is perfectly legal.

Exactly, which is why I couldn't understand how this case wouldn't be a walk in the park for the NFL.  There must have been something in the CBA/NFLPA that gave him just enough footing where the NFL couldn't tell him to pound sand.

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The one question I have which is lost in all of this is that Colin Kaepernick opted out of his contract in San Francisco. I can't pretend to understand all the idiosyncrasies of NFL contracts, but I thought opting out was like quitting. When Colin opted out, the 49ers literally had NO other quarterbacks on their roster. How can Colin sue the league and say they won't give him a job, when he just quit his job?

I'm seriously asking this question because I've not heard anyone explain this, and I truly don't understand it. 

Because all he did was opt out under the terms of the contract. He didn't say he wasn't going to play in the NFL anymore. He just said he wasn't going to play under that contract and would play under a different one. Except another contract never came.

8 hours ago, Pretzel said:

This was a case under the collective bargaining agreement, not under discrimination law. It's a very different situation.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Because all he did was opt out under the terms of the contract. He didn't say he wasn't going to play in the NFL anymore. He just said he wasn't going to play under that contract and would play under a different one. Except another contract never came.

So, if he would have not "opted out" would he have remained under contract with a job with the 49ers? 

I'm seriously asking because I don't know. I'm not leading you anywhere or trying to be a jerk. 

20 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So, if he would have not "opted out" would he have remained under contract with a job with the 49ers? 

I'm seriously asking because I don't know. I'm not leading you anywhere or trying to be a jerk. 

It was an option for the last year of the contract. Many sports contracts have that. Sometimes the team has the option and sometimes the player. He opted out because of the coach situation and thought he would have a chance with a new contract with another team. If he waiting until the end of the contract, he would have less leverage.

The NFL settled because there was significant evidence via e-mails and texts that they were colluding to not hire him. Considering the lack of quality QBs in the league, it was obvious that is what they were trying to do.

Please all, do not make this a political comment thread. We will warn anyone who goes down that path.

Scott

My Swing Thread

20 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

He would have had 1 year left on his contract with the 49ers, but they were apparently also planning to cut him (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-49ers-wouldve-cut-colin-kaepernick-if-he-hadnt-opted-out-of-his-contract/).

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Please all, do not make this a political comment thread. We will warn anyone who goes down that path.

Cool, thanks for the information. I was trying my darnest to keep this from getting political. I was just curious how the opted out thing worked. Because, I know this is going to be a shock to you... I've never been offered a pro-sports contract. Yeah, hard to believe, I know.. .

4 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

He would have had 1 year left on his contract with the 49ers, but they were apparently also planning to cut him (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-49ers-wouldve-cut-colin-kaepernick-if-he-hadnt-opted-out-of-his-contract/).

Thanks for the info. I have a better understanding now.

Just now, ChetlovesMer said:

Cool, thanks for the information. I was trying my darnest to keep this from getting political. I was just curious how the opted out thing worked. Because, I know this is going to be a shock to you... I've never been offered a pro-sports contract. Yeah, hard to believe, I know.. .

Me neither!!:-)

Scott

My Swing Thread

They didn't collude to keep him out of the league, unless you consider refusing to hire someone who is extremely bad for business collusion.  The guy is a tool bag of the highest order and got what was coming to him imo.

• iacas changed the title to Kaepernick Sits for National Anthem
  • Administrator
12 hours ago, Strandly said:

They didn't collude to keep him out of the league…

Facts seem to indicate otherwise.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!