IGNORED

2016-17 Soccer (Football) Thread

Scotsclaff
Note: This thread is 2501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As suggested by golfingdad,thanks.

The new soccer season has started. We are 3 weeks into it with Man utd,Man City and Chelsea having 3 wins out of three,long long way to go though.

This year also sees the start of qualifying(in europe) for the 2018 world cup in Russia.With Scotland and England in the same group it should make for interesting stuff......well for me anyway.

America are in the same group as Trinidad and Tobago,St Vincent and the Grenadines and Guatemala.At the moment the yanks are in 2nd spot 3 pts behind Trinidad and Tobago with 2 matches remaining, CAMON LADS!

A big local derby coming up on Sept 10th,Man City-Man Utd.:banana:

• Upvote 1

• iacas changed the title to 2016-17 Soccer (Football) Thread
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

With the Xmas break in full swing, can't wait for the January transfer window to open. Before, I was high on Draxler but now it seems he's a team cancer type of player. Last year, forcing a move from Schalke to Wolfsburg; now to PSG. 

In the EPL, Chelsea seems to have full control with 6 pts up from 2nd place Liverpool. 

La Liga is tight with 3 teams between 4 pts of themselves (RM, Barca & Sevilla).

In Italy's Serie A, it looks like Juventus has full control like always. 

In France's Ligue 1, I'm glad Nice and Monaco are playing better than PSG, getting tired of them winning year after year.

Most interesting matchup race is in the Bundesliga, with Leipzig contending Bayern for the title. A David vs. Goliath type of matchup.

I'm a Arsenal fan since here in Canada, they mostly show EPL games on the TV.

• 5 months later...

Tonight is the first Hell Is Real Derby. FC Cincinnati v. Columbus Crew in the US Cup at Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati. FCC has high hopes of building a new stadium and joining the MLS. ... The photo is the particularly odd sign that sits off I-71 in the countryside between the two towns that inspired the name.

hell.jpg

Edited by mcanadiens

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And for what it is worth, FCC 1, Crew 0.

The paper said 30,000-plus in attendance is a US Cup record. ... The US cup is sort of the American analog to the FA Cup. Teams from various levels of competition play against each other and this was a definite upset. Unlike Europe, the business of promotion and regulation isn't automatic here. Have to wonder how Columbus feels about the idea of Cincinnati joining MLS.

On 6/15/2017 at 7:59 AM, mcanadiens said:

Have to wonder how Columbus feels about the idea of Cincinnati joining MLS

I didn't realize Cincinnati was part of the expansion.   I just looked it up, that is cool so many people support soccer there.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

I didn't realize Cincinnati was part of the expansion.   I just looked it up, that is cool so many people support soccer there.

It's not done and dusted yet. FCC is planning a stadium and they need that first. So you'll have the whole public v. private financing debate. Lots of people are smarting from the horrible stadium deals for the Reds and Bengals. The MLS won't let them play out of Nippert (UC's football stadium) where they are now.

Haven't been down there myself, but they are getting 20,000-plus for routine USL games. It looks like the support is definitely there.

Note: This thread is 2501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!