IGNORED

Who is the best golfer at one point of all time?

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Best Golfer Ever (One Year Edition)?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. If these players played a 10-round tournament on the top 10 courses on the tour, who would win?

• Byron Nelson 1945
    • Arnold Palmer 1960
    • Jack Nicklaus 1966
    • Tiger 2000
    • Tiger 2005
    • Tiger 2008
    • Ben Hogan 1946
    • Sam Snead 1946
    • Johnny Miller 1974
    • Vijah Singh 2004
    • Phil Mickelson 2012
    • Tom Watson 1980

Have to say that whilst I have attempted to watch golf on TV a few times, I have now given up. As much as I am addicted to playing it, I find it one of the  most boring things on the entire planet to watch. I haven't heard of most of the players on the list, and would have no idea what they look like. 

• Upvote 1

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

6 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

Have to say that whilst I have attempted to watch golf on TV a few times, I have now given up. As much as I am addicted to playing it, I find it one of the  most boring things on the entire planet to watch. I haven't heard of most of the players on the list, and would have no idea what they look like. 

If you want the exciting parts, youtube is very helpful.  For example:

Edited by baller7345

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well for the sake of comparison, Bobby Jones played his best Major ever at St. Andrews in 1927.   he shot a 285, six strokes better than his closest competitor.  Tiger played his best major ever at St. Andrews in 2000** and shot a 270, eight strokes better than his nearest competitor.  

It would be hard to argue that Jones was better based on this comparison.  obviously the total score was way better, but that can be attributed to equipment.  when you factor it in with margin of victory, Tiger's top end was just better.  and, looking at Tiger's 2000, I can't imagine anyone could be as consistently good.   

**I chose 2000 St. Andrews for comparison sake.  I actually think his 1997 masters was better..  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
7 hours ago, lastings said:

**I chose 2000 St. Andrews for comparison sake.  I actually think his 1997 masters was better..  

Uh, so what about his 2000 U.S. Open?

He won that one… by 15. And was the only guy under par.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted Tiger 2000. 

20 tournaments played, 9 wins, 3 majors won, 17 top 10 finishes. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Uh, so what about his 2000 U.S. Open?

He won that one… by 15. And was the only guy under par.

also, a more than fair argument. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

There is no correct answer to the question. You can not put one golfer against another from a different era. It would be like who is the best baseball player or boxer or hockey player, football player, soccer player. Just does not work. All this becomes is an opinion and you can not realistically say or prove one is better than the other. 

1 hour ago, shanksalot said:

There is no correct answer to the question. You can not put one golfer against another from a different era. It would be like who is the best baseball player or boxer or hockey player, football player, soccer player. Just does not work. All this becomes is an opinion and you can not realistically say or prove one is better than the other. 

I'm pretty sure he's just asking for opinions

6 hours ago, shanksalot said:

Well, you don't know who was the best NFL team in 2014 either. Winning the title doesn't prove you were the best. 

Kinda redundant at this point, but 2000 Tiger.  

Someone asked he's if it was on modern courses or old school, original tee boxes. If it's old school courses, 2000 Tiger shoots low 60s on his worst days and probably bags a few high 50s. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I wonder how many could have practiced till they were better and win?

I think Tiger could have reached another level or two higher if he needed to do that to win.

I have read that Jack only practed his short game  just enough to win.  He had back problems.

On 9/7/2016 at 10:32 PM, StefanUrkel said:

Well, you don't know who was the best NFL team in 2014 either. Winning the title doesn't prove you were the best. 

That is not true you have teams in the same year competing against each other and then you can have an honest opinion since things were equal. When you take players from decades apart and try to evaluate them it is almost impossible since the course conditions were different, the depth of the competing players was different, the equipment was different no way you could ever say one player could beat the other in that scenario. You could ask what player had a better year of those listed and then you could have opinions that would be more relevant. 

On 9/7/2016 at 0:53 PM, StefanUrkel said:

Who is the old guy who picked Byron?  Was Tiger really that much better player in 2000?

Don't know who picked Byron, but he won 18 times that year and 11 of them in a row. He won the only Major played that year as well. PGA match play then and beat Snead 4 & 3. Each player had great years during their prime but it is hard to compare the years and then try to evaluate who could win out in ten matches. Most have never seen some of the players and probably don't even know what they did in those years. I have seen them all play but not in their prime. Yet it is still hard to even say who is the greatest player in history, much less who could win against this group. I wish it were possible to see something like that as it would be marvelous to watch. I have seen over the years threads asking who are the ten greatest players of all time and the lists of everyone hardly match each other there is so much controversy about era, competition played against and conditions played in in each era. If I seem to picking on you I am sorry just trying to show how difficult it can be to even try to answer the survey intelligently. 

The real answer was not even one of the voting options.  The correct answer is Kim Jong il, who carded 38 under par the first day he ever pickup up a golf club.  Here's the story:  http://news.cybergolf.com/golf_news/alltime_golf_scoring_record_goes_with_death_of_kim_jong_il

He actually had 11 aces in one round!  I'm not sure which clubs or balls he was playing or if he had to buy 11 drinks for everyone back at the clubhouse.

Note: This thread is 2755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!