IGNORED

Hitting wrong ball - any reason to fault others?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I usually keep 2 or 3 different color markers in my bad and mark my ball on the first tee after seeing what everyone else is playing/marking just to be safe and not really run into the incident that you've described. Haven't really had to mark any balls as of late though because no one in my area really plays Vice golf balls.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've given my kids ( 2 and 4 yo ) colored sharpies and let them go at a dozen or so. Mom says its not worth the mess. So I need to find something else. It just doesn't feel right scribbling myself.

I have 3 Tin Cup stencils and 4 different color extra fine Sharpies.  I never have to worry about anyone with the same mark as mine.

i-cJQ6Rws-M.jpg

i-ffZV4vH-M.jpg 

One odd thing I've noticed is the frequency with which the ball stops with the mark on the bottom.  There were a half dozen times that I had to mark and lift my ball in last weekend's tournament to be sure it was mine.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Always blame the person who hit the ball, it's on them.

But this is the main reason why I don't play Titleist, they're an overrated ball anyway IMO but every stiff out there plays them, find another ball and live happy.

1 hour ago, paininthenuts said:

I am a Spurs supporter (England football team) and have a stamp with a cockerel on it. It's clean and it does the job. I think it looks really tacky when someone scribbles on a golf ball 

What kind of stamp? 

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

For a player to knowingly allow another player too hit the wrong ball is simply dishonest, it shouldn't ever happen.  On the other hand, exactly as @iacas says, its MY responsibility to make sure that I hit my own ball.  Its not yours, its not the other guy, its me, so its my fault if I do it.  A secondary issue, if I know that my ball is marked similarly to someone else in our group, I'll add more dots or change the color so that the chances of mis-identification are decreased.

This!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

33 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

I have 3 Tin Cup stencils and 4 different color extra fine Sharpies.  I never have to worry about anyone with the same mark as mine.

i-cJQ6Rws-M.jpg

i-ffZV4vH-M.jpg 

One odd thing I've noticed is the frequency with which the ball stops with the mark on the bottom.  There were a half dozen times that I had to mark and lift my ball in last weekend's tournament to be sure it was mine.

Put one on both sides???

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

4 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Put one on both sides???

It takes long enough to just do one side.  It's easier to occasionally lift for identification.  And my mark is far more certain than just a couple of dots or a line.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I make five dots like a dog paw on both sides, or sort of a dog paw as I do it quick and I'm no artist.  I've never seen anyone else that I play with use that mark. (I just did it on an old junk ball I putt with in my office.  Just saying I wouldn't play a Top Flite 320, whatever that is.  It's an embarrassing ball.)

I use to try using a line but didn't like it.  It messes with my mind when putting and I don't want to spend the time to line it up for a putt or any other shot for that matter.

20160831_112033-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, paininthenuts said:

I am a Spurs supporter (England football team) and have a stamp with a cockerel on it. It's clean and it does the job. I think it looks really tacky when someone scribbles on a golf ball 

If one buddy of mine finds your ball, he'd put an Arsenal logo on his driver and say he smashed the Spurs. ... Yeah, he's just that goofy.

Nobody I have met uses the same ball as me....yet, so haven't ran in to this problem yet. If the guy knew that the other guy was hitting his ball he needs to take a serious look at himself though.

9 hours ago, allenc said:

Yeah, I don't understand why everyone and their mother uses dots.  Why not sign your initials or draw a happy face or something that isn't so easily misidentified?

Me neither.  Kids (and wife's) initials are around each logo on my ball.  I always get slightly perturbed when somebody that knows me asks what ball I'm playing when they're helping me look for one.

"Dummy, it's the one with the giant ass letters around each logo."

"Is it a Titleist 1?"

"I don't know.  Does it say ACES on it or not?  Jesus."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Me neither.  Kids (and wife's) initials are around each logo on my ball.  I always get slightly perturbed when somebody that knows me asks what ball I'm playing when they're helping me look for one.

"Dummy, it's the one with the giant ass letters around each logo."

"Is it a Titleist 1?"

"I don't know.  Does it say ACES on it or not?  Jesus."

HaHa, I get the same.  I've just been using a big X on each side of the ball because I never learned to sign my name.

The only person responsible for ensuring that I play the right ball is....

....wait for it....

....ME!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I know what ball I am playing and I know how I marked it...if I am stupid enough to not look at it (which I have done) I guess it is on me.

Member guest tie match on 5th hole (9 holes maches for 10 points) I played my partners ball out of the face of a bunker with terrible lie because he was sure he had carried the bunked and I wasn't sure. As turned out I had carried it and was 40 yards up in the fairway, of course since I didn't check I was out of the hole, my ball was dead and he had to play his ball from the shit...lesson learned!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Not a fan of constant ball checking. If I faced that I'd use an unmarked ball or something. As much as confusion I don't like playing partners messing with my ball and the delays created by standing over balls to see what is what, bad enough without the red/red thing. 

Dave :-)

I explained the reason for marking balls to my, at the time, 6 year old granddaughter. I then gave her a red, blue and green sharpie and told her to have at it. Unfortunately green was her favorite color at the time so she just colored them all green. 

I find that most people mark their ball. So to avoid any confusion I simply don't. Also I play a lower level ball because it fits my game. Not many folks playing the Nike Mojo anymore. Bonus, 10 bucks a dozen and I like the results.....most of the time.

I also find it interesting that when I am in the rough, most of the time I find the high dollar balls, which is an interesting point on the power of advertisement. (I have a cpl dozen Pro-V-1s at home I give them to my brother when I see him)

Golf is like being married to a beautiful woman that can cook, change a flat tire and never turns you down. But   just for fun she slaps you around in public.

Note: This thread is 2791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!