IGNORED

NHL 2016-17

iacas
Note: This thread is 2480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Punching someone is a game misconduct and a suspension? In the NHL? Not yet it isn't.

Read the rules dude.

Roughing-Rule.png

51.3. Plain as day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

55 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Punching someone is a game misconduct and a suspension? In the NHL? Not yet it isn't.

I understand you don't like it, but 2 minutes is pretty consistent with how they called that sort of thing for years.

As @iacas has referenced, punching a player in the head with the goalie's blocker can be considered as "intent to injure".  In just a quick look, I see at least two other times its happened this season, by Cam Talbot and Carey Price, and each time the goalie was given a 2-minute roughing penalty.  Obviously its one thing to have the rule, and a completely different thing to have it enforced.  I can't quite understand how this type of punch could be anything other than intent to injure.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
Just now, DaveP043 said:

As @iacas has referenced, punching a player in the head with the goalie's blocker can be considered as "intent to injure".  In just a quick look, I see at least two other times its happened this season, by Cam Talbot and Carey Price, and each time the goalie was given a 2-minute roughing penalty.  Obviously its one thing to have the rule, and a completely different thing to have it enforced.  I can't quite understand how this type of punch could be anything other than intent to injure.

Punching with the blocker is the intent to injure. He wasn't doing it to protect himself or something.

Once again the cavemen rule the NHL. And we're going to keep seeing concussions and other injuries on dirty plays.

I have no problem with hard hits between the whistles. I enjoy them and dished out more than a few myself.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Ah yes. The rule book. I knew we had one of those around somewhere. 

Thank you @DaveP043. That was the point I was making. The NHL never issues suspensions on this kind of stuff whether it is in the rule book or not. Ward probably wishes he had got tossed from that one. His teammates hung him out to dry on that evening.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The NHL never issues suspensions on this kind of stuff whether it is in the rule book or not.

You said it wasn't a penalty. It is. It's just not called.

And that sucks. Dumbass Canadian cavemen. And as the calendar keeps going and we approach the Masters, and Mother's Day, etc. it's only going to keep getting worse. :-P

But hey, let's make goalie's pants 1/2" smaller. :-P

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You said it wasn't a penalty. It is. It's just not called.

Wrong. I clearly said that the referee called a roughing penalty on it. Aside from that, I simply mentioned that they tend to call similar plays in that fashion.

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Dumbass Canadian cavemen

Ironically, the NHL's Director of Player Safety is American George Parros. It, of course, would have been his call to issue a suspension (as the rules call for) or not.

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Wrong. I clearly said that the referee called a roughing penalty on it. Aside from that, I simply mentioned that they tend to call similar plays in that fashion.

No you didn't. You said it wasn't a game misconduct in the NHL. It is.

3 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Yes, it is.

It's just not called. It should be.

41 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Ironically, the NHL's Director of Player Safety is American George Parros. It, of course, would have been his call to issue a suspension (as the rules call for) or not.

I'm talking about the entire DOPS (and the head of that changes all the time as you know), the entire group of owners, virtually everyone in the leaked emails joking about headshots and concussions.

Best sport. Worst league.

The NFL knows who makes them their money, and it's not the equivalent of a third-line checking winger who makes four borderline hits a week.

I'm done discussing this with you William. You're a fan of caveman hockey. We know this.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm done discussing this with you William. You're a fan of caveman hockey. We know this.

Call me whatever you want. 

If the increasingly gentle world of the NHL is still too violent for you, there are plenty of other leagues to choose from. Check back in five or so years and it will be the bloody Ice Capades out there anyway.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

If the increasingly gentle world of the NHL is still too violent for you, there are plenty of other leagues to choose from. Check back in five or so years and it will be the bloody Ice Capades out there anyway.

Read what's written, William. I have no problem with "violence" within the rules. It's when the violence is outside the rules that I don't like it.

Hockey should be a game of skill, not a game of "even up" penalties, or throwing an elbow into a guy's face and trusting that the refs are in a "let 'em play" mode, etc.

Best sport. Worst league.

23 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm getting tired of not-so-clean hits being unpunished, too.

Like, say…

Nada.

That's pretty bad. You literally can't get any more punched in the face with a blocker than that.

12 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

I understand you don't like it, but 2 minutes is pretty consistent with how they called that sort of thing for years.

I tried to do some research and I can't seem to find a goaltender who has been tossed for 51.3, though to my knowledge it's happened at least three times in recent history. Why bother having a rule if it isn't going to be enforced?

7 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Call me whatever you want. 

Wait, what? You're against a rule designed for player safety that has absolutely no negative impact? You ever been hit by a blocker? It's a goddamned weapon, man.

You're right, the NHL is getting too wimpy. Lets bring back spearing. That'll teach people to run my teammates through.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Has anybody watched any Edmonton games this year? McDavid is in a league of his own. He's the best player on the ice in every game... by a lot. I don't think there's been a player like this that came into the league since Lemieux. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, tmac20 said:

Has anybody watched any Edmonton games this year? McDavid is in a league of his own. He's the best player on the ice in every game... by a lot. I don't think there's been a player like this that came into the league since Lemieux. 

He's not even the best player in the league right now.

In his words. It's still a guy born August 7, 1987.

44 minutes ago, iacas said:

He's not even the best player in the league right now.

In his words. It's still a guy born August 7, 1987.

Without a doubt he's the best player in the league right now. At least in terms of pure skill. 

• Administrator
22 hours ago, tmac20 said:

Without a doubt he's the best player in the league right now. At least in terms of pure skill. 

Uhhhhh, no.

On 1/20/2017 at 3:27 PM, iacas said:

This is older, and Sid's not the only player who can do these things by any stretch, but it's worth watching.

There are others out there as well. They're all pretty good.

Okay, so being a true Southerner, I'm not a hockey guy. The skating just never made sense to me. I get it, the lakes are frozen and you can't take the boat out to go fishin', but there's always football. ;-)

But damn, that was cool. :-O

His stick work was amazing, but more importantly, I get why it has to be on skates, now. It was like non-stop "insta-juke". :ninja: I loved it when the goalie said, "oh, come on, guys", and the other guy said, "well, he's a little quicker...something...something,"...trails off...can't hear that he probably said, "you motherf...."

I think I most liked what the pro said in the very beginning about practicing to make habits (I heard, "changing the picture").

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Have not been around a while. Gave up golf, had break through, started playing again, then re injured shoulder in another work injury. Havnt played in six weeks so hockey is all I got and man, thats not good. Stars suck so bad this year its pathetic!! I always ask are they better or worse than their record. Well, way I see it is theyre ten games worse than their record suggests. Ruff seemed like a great coach, but his constant line juggling and defensive pairing shuffle is ludicrous at best! Niemi and Lehtonen are both below average esp for starting net minders and the entire team just looks like piss. Benn and Seguin haven't quite been themselves and the rest of the team doesnt appear to know who they play for as theyre scoring goals for the opposition instead of the home club. Its become too painful to watch. The plan of turning stars into next red wings is dumb. Dont mimic, be yourselves and forge your own path!!! And for God's sake, UNDERSTAND that defense wins championships!!!! Nill may not be the genius everyone suggests. Hmm, we need goal tending and a better blue line. Oh!!! I know!!! Lets get all the help we can get up front!!! Well out score our opponents every night and bring back the cup!!!! This sorry excuse for a team is quickly becoming the laughing stock of the nhl. This is why all my friends think hockey doesnt belong in Texas. For the first time, I think maybe theyre on to something. 

P.s, if the stars are reading this, do whatever it takes to land an elite goalie ( hello fleury!)  Sign some real defenseman, and find us a coach without a panic button!!!

Still a fan, but these guys dont look like they take pride in being stars. Most games looks more like a bunch of individuals and less like a TEAM. If u dont wanna be a dallas star, do the world a favor and leave. Win, or lose. But take pride in doing it the right way day in and day out!! Think less like former Star Mike Ribeiro and think more like Roussel. Hes the only guy who has behaved like a Dallas Star if you ask me. Thanks Roussel! 

End rant;

Thanks to all... I really needed to get that off my cheat. :cry:

• Administrator
5 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

And for God's sake, UNDERSTAND that defense wins championships!!!!

It doesn't really. Having a top ranked offense matters quite a bit too. Almost exactly as much as having a top ranked defense.

Across all sports it's close to 50/50.

• 1 month later...

Calgary is the hottest team in the league with 9 straight wins.@iacas will probably say the streak ends against the Pens. But as of late, no one is playing better. The back line is clicking. Brian Elliott is looking like a legit playoff number one. That being said, are they a one and done or do they have a legitimate chance to make a deep run to say the Semifinals? (The conference finals for you traditionalists.)

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 2480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!