IGNORED

Tiger Woods is playing in the Safeway Open in October

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I'm not sure if it would have made a difference… Do you play any particular clubs because a professional plays them? I am the biggest Tiger lover around and I don't own a single Nike club.

I haven't bought a club because a pro uses them in at least 3-4 years but I'd be lying if I said I never did.  I never under estimate the influence of marketing.  Pro V1's are great golf balls but there are others that are just as good but most people play Pro V1's because the majority of pro's on Tour do.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

39 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I'm not sure if it would have made a difference… Do you play any particular clubs because a professional plays them? I am the biggest Tiger lover around and I don't own a single Nike club.

I was definitely always interested in what they played - when I used to get GD a long time ago the WITB page at the end was always my favorite.

And whenever I noticed a trend - many of them at the time seemed to play the same or similar Titleist 3W - I wanted to follow it.  I never did because I didn't care enough, but I noticed at least.

But Nike clubs?  Blech. (For no fair reason, mind you)

Why would he stop after three poor rounds? He played a lot more poor rounds the last time he tried to come back. 

I think he will try for at least a year, 2017 that is. And if he stays healthy I bet he will win again.

Waiting for the swing instructor and swing rumors (Secret Tour Pro) to drop in 3... 2... 1...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

16 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

1. Tiger does indeed come back to these events as planned and does NOT re-injure himself in some fashion again

I just want to see some of "the old Tiger" back on the course. The things that made him who he was as a golfer.

I think these two are in conflict with each other.

My concern is that TW may be able to play in a manner that isn't horribly deleterious to his back in practice, but that when he gets back into competition he will revert to more aggressive patterns that will set him up for recurrence of back injury.

I hope I'm wrong.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

4 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

My concern is that TW may be able to play in a manner that isn't horribly deleterious to his back in practice, but that when he gets back into competition he will revert to more aggressive patterns that will set him up for recurrence of back injury.

I hope I'm wrong.

While Tiger hasn't played in a tournament I'd think he's tested his game in practice rounds playing for some big money to see how he will perform under pressure.  What he probably can't simulate is the tougher course setups he'll face and the galleries watching.  

Unless he's found a way to maintain distance without the excessive stress he places on his back and knees he'll have to focus more on his mid - short game if he wants to win.  

Joe Paradiso

So, what is this, Swing 6.0? :-D

Or 5.2? :-P

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

I heard he has been training with aliens. 

Nah. Seal Team 18, the Navy's elite Special Forces Golf Squad.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I hope I'm wrong.

I absolutely agree that they're in conflict with one another. Tiger was an aggressive ball striker with huge power. It was what made him special and made him able "to bring courses to their knees." I want to see this Tiger again, truly. But I also don't want the guy hurting himself which is my first-most desire.

I would be happy with a different Tiger. More calm, strategic without insane distance and strain but able to win. Over "the old Tiger" where I'm biting my lip thinking he's going to hurt himself again every round.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I just hope he truly is healed up.  I think he still has swing issues for sure (and you could go back and forth on the swing leading to the injury or the other way around all day), but a healthy Tiger would be really good to watch.  But I say that as a Tiger fan.

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

While Tiger hasn't played in a tournament I'd think he's tested his game in practice rounds playing for some big money to see how he will perform under pressure.  What he probably can't simulate is the tougher course setups he'll face and the galleries watching.  

Unless he's found a way to maintain distance without the excessive stress he places on his back and knees he'll have to focus more on his mid - short game if he wants to win.  

Judging from his issues in his last go-around, that may be a problem.

Bill M

More posts in this thread than the Barclay's and Deutschebank combined.

Golf doesn't miss Tiger.  :ninja::whistle:

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Golf doesnt miss Tiger, just his worshippers.

Nobody misses his haters.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/8/2016 at 4:18 PM, onkey said:

I'd like to see him accept his age and start to play with some maturity.  I don't want to see a Tiger who is striving to overpower the golf course anymore.

I like this. I would say that he needs to learn how to play golf like the ageless wonder, Tom Watson, who recently shot his age, 67, in a Senior tourney. Watson never overpowered courses, he'd outthink them, outstrategize them, and outmaneuver them by playing one beautiful stroke after another!

And why do you think that Tiger has chosen these tourneys for his return to play (I refuse to use the word "comeback", since it implies something that I think may be impossible). Light, less than stellar fields populated with a gang of guys from the Buy.com tour and other sub PGA tours. More of a chance to make the cut and play for 4 days. Heck, I never heard of the "Turkish Airlines" tourney before now!

But, it sounds like a smart strategy to me for a guy trying to work his way back onto the tour. Plus, these tourneys are spaced out enough that there's plenty of time for R&R in between.

It will be interesting to watch.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I like this. I would say that he needs to learn how to play golf like the ageless wonder, Tom Watson, who recently shot his age, 67, in a Senior tourney. Watson never overpowered courses, he'd outthink them, outstrategize them, and outmaneuver them by playing one beautiful stroke after another!

And why do you think that Tiger has chosen these tourneys for his return to play (I refuse to use the word "comeback", since it implies something that I think may be impossible). Light, less than stellar fields populated with a gang of guys from the Buy.com tour and other sub PGA tours. More of a chance to make the cut and play for 4 days. Heck, I never heard of the "Turkish Airlines" tourney before now!

Two quick thoughts.

I think Tiger is not given enough credit for being strategic. He's demonstrated he's plenty strategic; that doesn't mean he should hit irons off every tee (which he's done in winning majors).

Second, Tiger plays best when par is a good score. Playing against "pedal to the metal" players is actually bad for him if he's looking to place highly. He's simply playing the tournaments available to him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!