IGNORED

Apple's September 7, 2016 Event

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 2773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator

13:59 - Video for iPhone 7. Which is the same shape roughly as iPhone 6, because the tenth anniversary next year will be a big change, I think.

14:03 - Phil covering the new phone stuff.

14:04 - New Home button.

14:04 - Force sensitive solid state with a taptic engine.

14:05 - Water and dust resistant. Not "proof" at all.

14:06 - Shows a guy falling in a pool. IP67 resistant standard. Whatever that is.

14:06 - Camera stuff now. Dual lenses on the Plus model only?

14:06 - Yep, plus model only. Crap. I don't want a huge phone, but I like a great camera. OIS in the smaller model at least. That's good.

14:07 - f/1.8. 12 MP and faster sensor.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

14:10 - Better pictures, yeah yeah. Show me the better camera in iPhone 7 Plus. Dammit.

14:11 - Front camera is improved too. 5 MP to 7, wide color capture, OIS, etc.

14:12 - quad LED True Tone flash. 50% brighter.

14:12 - Now the dual camera.

14:12 - I don't think i want to buy the bigger phone but I want the better camera. I know John Gruber feels similarly. One is wide angle, one is telephoto.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

14:13 - I wonder what the difference is between wide and telephoto. Equivalent in full-frame mm focal length?

14:14 - 2x is optical zoom. Beyond that is software zoom up to 10x.

14:16 - Depth of Field stuff now.

14:20 - Retina display stuff now. Brighter, wider gamut, 3D touch, cinema standard colors… color managed.

14:22 - Instagram guy demonstrating wide gamut. Okay. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

14:12 - I don't think i want to buy the bigger phone but I want the better camera. I know John Gruber feels similarly. One is wide angle, one is telephoto.

I think many people feel as you do. Probably a problem they will try to fix.

Michael

• Administrator

14:25 - Lightning headphones. Yawn. I've heard they're not great.

2 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I think many people feel as you do. Probably a problem they will try to fix.

I don't know what you mean by that at all. There's nothing to "fix."

14:26 - Lightning to mini phono adapter included in the box.

14:26 - Removal of the headphone port: "Courage." Yeah, okay, sure… Uh huh.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I don't know what you mean by that at all. There's nothing to "fix."

Fix would be to put a camera like the one in the Plus in the regular version.

Michael

• Administrator

14:27 - Space? I dunno. Third… a vision of how audio should be? That's bogus too. Wireless. Yah yah.

Just now, mchepp said:

Fix would be to put a camera like the one in the Plus in the regular version.

Not gonna happen. These things have been in the works for years.

14:28 - Airpods. Video.

14:29 - I think the W1 chip is not a Bluetooth chip.

14:30 - Five hours of listening on a single charge.

14:31 - I like my Bose noise canceling headphones (ear buds) and will be using the adapter, thank you very much…

14:32 - W1 chip is Apple's first wireless chip. Pretty sure it's not Bluetooth, yeah…

14:33 - I think these AirPods look like the kind of thing that people will find easy to lose.

14:34 - Beats wireless headphones. Will they work with Bluetooth, too?

14:35 - Better performance. 50% faster was rumored.

14:36 - the iPhone is by far the fastest smart phone on the market. Now it'll be even faster. A10 (duh) but they added the word "Fusion" to it. A10 Fusion. 64-bit, 4-core, 3.3 billion transistors.

• Administrator

14:36 - 40% faster than A9, 120x faster than original iPhone.

14:37 - Other cores are 1/5 the power and give longer battery life for low-CPU intensive tasks.

14:37 - 50% faster graphics in A10 Fusion. 50% faster than A9. 2/3 the power of A9.

14:38 - 240x performance of original iPhone.

14:40 - Gaming demo. I tune out for now.

14:41 - Yeah yeah. Just get to the prices and the storage capacities. And pre-order times.

14:42 - BTW it's awesome watching this event on my TV.

14:42 - Longest battery life ever in an iPhone.

14:43 - Two more hours over iPhone 6s. 1 more hour on Plus.

• Administrator

14:44 - Video. They sure like these things.

14:45 - Not that that's new at all.

14:46 - I forgot to mention the stereo speakers (top and bottom for landscape left/right).

14:47 - Costs areΒ the same. $649 in five colors. 32 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB. 7 Plus starts at $769.

14:49 - Preorders start September 9. Ships on the 16th.

14:50 - AirPods are $159 and ship late October.

14:50 - Done?

14:51 - Looks that way.

14:51 - Yup. (I'm not counting the stupid musical guest he's going to talk about now.)

Bummer there was nothing talked about or introduced for the Macbook or iMac...but I am definitely ordering the new phone. Maybe the watch for Christmas!

No mention of the SE (smaller) version continuing? I'm guessing that means the end of the 4" screen version?Β 

Too bad, I quite like that size, and I'm not alone.Β 

- Mark

24 minutes ago, Braivo said:

No mention of the SE (smaller) version continuing? I'm guessing that means the end of the 4" screen version?Β 

That appears to be sticking around with the 6S and 6S+. They doubled the memory in the 6S and 6S+.Β 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

14:44 - Video. They sure like these things.

14:45 - Not that that's new at all.

14:46 - I forgot to mention the stereo speakers (top and bottom for landscape left/right).

14:47 - Costs areΒ the same. $649 in five colors. 32 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB. 7 Plus starts at $769.

14:49 - Preorders start September 9. Ships on the 16th.

14:50 - AirPods are $159 and ship late October.

14:50 - Done?

14:51 - Looks that way.

14:51 - Yup. (I'm not counting the stupid musical guest he's going to talk about now.)

I wonder if they are going to sell many at that price.

- Shane

31 minutes ago, Braivo said:

It's still around.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yeah I don't see the SE going away anytime soon because there's a large segment out there who want that form factor. Personally, I've gotten so used to my 6+Β that anything smaller just doesn't feel right.Β 

• Administrator

I've got my alarm set for 2:50am.

Yippee. :-P

I'm thinking that as much as I want the better camera(s), I don't want the extra size or the extra cost.

I'm also thinking of going Jet Black.

Same here. I'm expecting the jet black will be in high demand. @iacasΒ what storage are you getting? I'm thinking 128. I've about β…” of my 64 filled currently. Lots of kid pix and videos. ?

Note:Β This thread is 2773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!