IGNORED

25 Ways to Speed up Play

iacas
Note: This thread is 2740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How about mark the scorecard on the next tee?

As an aside, I played 9 holes today walking in an hour and 20 minutes, there were two of us.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

How about mark the scorecard on the next tee?

As an aside, I played 9 holes today walking in an hour and 20 minutes, there were two of us.

We had the threesome yesterday and played in 1:45. We didn't play particularly well as it was very humid. But we did a lot of the things mentioned such as one person rake the bunker, efficient flag tending, ready golf and walking at a brisk pace. If we played better, we would have cut off maybe 10 more minutes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:27 PM, 70sSanO said:

Obviously there would be allowances for single play, or waiting for groups, or ???  Initially it would be a nightmare and there would be a transition period where there would be no charges, but the golfers would know how long they took.  Plus the marshals would have real data on particular golfers and not just a bottleneck.  This idea is just an initial thought not a complete design of a workable system.

And it may mean an additional RFID reader between green and tee box, but the truth is that there is no good way to speed up play despite all of the good suggestions, there are thousands of golfers who are not reading TST or Golf Digest or anything about how to speed up play or really don't care.

For some people it is all about their world and even though they may complain about waiting for others, it is a totally different story when they have to hit.  But if you are hit with a $40 add charge because you just can't seem to take less than 10 practice swings. or you have to find your ball or you never realized that after you made that pitch, you would be putting and didn't bring your putter, it will be more tangible than having people just trying to get slow golfers to play faster.

John

Edit added... Par 5's would have more time than Par 3's, 10 minutes is just a number I threw out.  And if you need 5 minutes to find your ball, maybe you should be penalized.  If it takes more than a couple of minutes it should be lost, or play at times when the course is not busy, don't play on the weekend, or take a drop and penalty and do better next time.

I hate slow play but I play by the rules of golf, I don't make them up as I go along. If you are playing and posting your score, it is appropriate to follow the rules, particularly those that require a penalty of some sort.

Since I am usually playing a match of some kind we rarely play out of turn, but it drives me crazy when somebody isn't ready to play their shot when it is their turn. If I see that they are not close to ready, I'll hit my shot. And if my first putt ends up within a distance that doesn't really require a read, I'll putt out (unless it is an official match play event; that is against the rules).

Bill M

• 3 weeks later...

You don't have to play faster, just play more efficiently. For example, on the tee, if you're next to hit, be standing beside the tee box with your club in your hand, and not over by everyone's bag with your arms folded.

In the fairway, have your club picked out and be ready to hit as soon as the player hitting ahead of you has hit. Two people can get ready for their shot at the same time. It doesn't have to be sequential.

On the green, don't spend so much time reading the line on approach putts. You aren't going to sink them, and they're speed putts anyway.

If the fairway on the next hole is open, the first two players who hole out can go tee off while the other two are putting out.

Lots of good ones here and it would be really sweet if every round took 3 hrs.  I have had a bunch at 3 or just over. 

I was a duffer once and I never, ever Teed up from the tips while learning this great game.  This is one of the worst for adding to slow play.  Way too many times I have seen a group of tough guys that have to play the tips to be all macho and 2 or 3 of them can barely hit it past the Red Tees.  At this point, I know it is gonna be a slow day. 

They also seem to have to wait for the green to clear on a 400+ yard hole in case they actually hit the 300 yard drive they usually hit at the driving range. 

They seem to need 5 – 10 practice swings and then switch clubs only to start over again. 

When they lose a ball, all 4 have to go and search till they find it and then they can all go back to their balls and hit.

Always have to play in order even if someone isn’t ready to hit.  They have no idea what ready golf is.

On the greens, always marking the ball and taking 5 mins looking over the green and lining up the putt. Only to miss the 10 footer and do it all over again… never finishing the putt out.  Doing this three times on every green seems to take years off my life!

How many of you have played behind a group like this?

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Note: This thread is 2740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!