IGNORED

Is this a good deal?

Note: This thread is 2749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

Getting fitted is not about handicap but about how consistently you swing.  If you have a grooved swing and hit the same shot every time, get fitted.  If you are struggling to hit the same shot, then wait.  At the end of the day, fitting only works if your swing is grooved

Well I don't exactly know how "grooved" my swing is. I would think that a good HCP and a well grooved consistent swing would go hand in hand, because being good at golf seems to lie in consistency. 

I do mishit often. I shank, I hit balls thin and fat from times, my swing is a work in progress (and I anticipate it always will be). I recently have been working on better weight transfer and also have been working on shallowing out my swing as it's a bit too steep now. 

I'm sure my swing will change over the years as I'm 21 right now and new to golf (coming from baseball) so would getting fitted for clubs be an exercise in futility? 

:titleist: 913D2 

:ping: i 4-PW white dot

:titleist: Vokey 50*, 54*, and 58*

:odyssey: White Hot #7

Absolutely not! Get fitted, it's worth your time if you love the game as much as you do. When I came back I bought some new TM Speedblades and was fitted for these at Golfsmith. They are pretty good there, and weren't trying to push a brand. Now that I've been playing for a year and I've been able to groove a fairly consistent swing, I can see where the TMs aren't the best option for me. I went to GS today and hit a few different irons including Pings you're looking at. I found that I really need a stiffer shaft or graphite. I have been pretty adamantly opposed to graphite in my irons, but I can't argue with the results I saw today. Point is take advantage of the fitting because it will reveal things you didn't know and get you into the right equipment for your game. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, allenc said:

My point was there is little difference between brands, only between various lines in a brand.  And since custom shafts will be available from your fitting, the difference shrinks even further.

I would say you are correct but I think I would say there is a club in most brands that will work well for everyone.  I just look at it as if I am spending that kind of money, I am not going to leave any "what if" type questions as I am an overthinker. 

5 hours ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

Good to know. Thanks all.

Is it important at my stage of golf to be fitted for irons? If so, I think that dropping cash on these Ping irons is my best course of action (correct me if wrong). But, if it's not that important for a mid handicapper, I'll probably just wait till the middle of winter here in Minnesota to buy some used irons for cheap off Craigslist. 

Thoughts? 

If you have improved that much in a short period of time it seems you are playing pretty good golf.So there are two trains of thought. Wait until you get down to a single digit before forking out a ton of money. Or just buy a set that is cheap and go with that. I have always felt that if you get fitted to a set of clubs it will take away any doubt about the tools you are using to play the game. If you see an improvement in your golf with the PING fitting and it makes you think it will help you play better and more consistent then go with the PINGs now. My first question would be though are you looking for new clubs as a reward for your quick improvement or hoping new clubs will improve your game even more?

34 minutes ago, shanksalot said:

If you have improved that much in a short period of time it seems you are playing pretty good golf.So there are two trains of thought. Wait until you get down to a single digit before forking out a ton of money. Or just buy a set that is cheap and go with that. I have always felt that if you get fitted to a set of clubs it will take away any doubt about the tools you are using to play the game. If you see an improvement in your golf with the PING fitting and it makes you think it will help you play better and more consistent then go with the PINGs now. My first question would be though are you looking for new clubs as a reward for your quick improvement or hoping new clubs will improve your game even more?

Thanks! Well look up a pic of Adams a3os if you don't know what they look like. They're the fattest iron I've ever seen and I only have 6-p. I would say I feel that it's mostly that I want new irons to improve my game as well as the fact that it will likely make golf even more fun playing with irons that are new to me.

Is it likely that if I get fitted now, after having only a few years of playing golf, and about 1 year seriously that my swing will still change enough that the clubs that are fitted to me now won't be a few years down the road? Or is a fitting primarily based around your leverages and limb length/height?

1 hour ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

Is it likely that if I get fitted now, after having only a few years of playing golf, and about 1 year seriously that my swing will still change enough that the clubs that are fitted to me now won't be a few years down the road? Or is a fitting primarily based around your leverages and limb length/height?

Usually fittings are loft and lie and length of club and for your particular swing speed and tendencies. But for you or anyone it should be also about does the club look great to you when you are in the hitting position. Do you really like the clubs. When and if you get way better you might need a different shaft in the head, but changes in club head would only be if you are now hitting the ball too high or low based against what you were hitting when you were fitted. I think there are not going to be a lot of new clubs out that would make you have to change to new ones. I think most people change equipment just to make a change or think that the new equipment will make them a great player. Most advantages in new equipment is forgiveness in the head. You might get more distance if you have not had new clubs in years because the clubs now are so jacked up in loft what was the loft of a PW 15 years ago 48* is now a strong lofted gap wedge. I guess the short answer is I doubt you would ever really need to change clubs for at least a decade or even more. Irons can last a long time if you take care of them. My first set lasted almost 20 years and I only changed because that set was stolen. In the last ten years I have had two sets and the current set is good for years to come unless I just want to change it out for something that has more forgiveness. 

Anybody else have any opinions or insight on this?

20 hours ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

2 hours ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

Anybody else have any opinions or insight on this?

Well, you should at least look at the 2016 Ping Color Code Chart to get an idea if you static fit a standard length/lie.

At 6'1" you may need a slightly longer length, and/or a more upright lie.

Buying a non-standard set used may be a little tougher.

John

9 minutes ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

So is the general consensus that even at my skill level it is still worth getting fitted for irons? 

I don't think it's a matter of skill.   A 40 handicap would benefit from a club fitting if he/she has a repeatable swing.   When I was fit for my clubs they took length and lie into considering, but I also took some swings and they examined how the club was striking the ground.  So the stock specs based on my height, arm length etc were then tweaked so that the club was in the right position when I made what was my swing.

A key point is that I had a swing that I was not going to change.   If you have a swing that is largely set and requires minor changes then I would say get the fitting.   If you expect to take lessons and are open to major swing changes then I would say no at this time.   At the very least talk with a professional and get their advice as well based on what they see with your swing.  They might even say "you should be looking at doing this with your swing" and then give guidance on how that might alter your fitting.

Clubs can be adjusted for length, lie and loft but that is an expense that it sounds like you are not in a position to be throwing money around for it. 

That's a lay person's view.   If I was going into a golfing season dead set on revamping my swing, I wouldn't buy new clubs until I was happy with the swing or worked with someone closely who could make sure my posture, position, etc did not mean things would be different.

—Adam

1 hour ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

So is the general consensus that even at my skill level it is still worth getting fitted for irons? 

If you were 5'9" or 10", had a slower swing, and were looking for SGI clubs, you might pass on a fitting.

But since you are hitting a 7 iron 190 yards, with your A03's, you have to have a pretty fast swing.  My thought is, the faster things move, the better everything needs to fit together.  Also I's are less forgiving that G's, so you have less margin for error.

I'd get fit.

John

So I just found a guy on Craigslist selling 714 Ap2's standard length, lie, etc. with upgraded stiff shafts (I typically swing somewhere in between stiff or x-stiff). His son is 5'9" so everything is standard, but I'm 6'1" so a standard club probably wouldn't be perfect for me. The thing is that he's selling the irons to me for $350 3-P because he has empathy on me for being a college student (the irons are his son's who plays college golf, so the irons will have a couple seasons of wear). 

Any input as far as if I should do this instead of going with the fitted Ping i irons for $750 4-P? 

30 minutes ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

So I just found a guy on Craigslist selling 714 Ap2's standard length, lie, etc. with upgraded stiff shafts (I typically swing somewhere in between stiff or x-stiff). His son is 5'9" so everything is standard, but I'm 6'1" so a standard club probably wouldn't be perfect for me. The thing is that he's selling the irons to me for $350 3-P because he has empathy on me for being a college student (the irons are his son's who plays college golf, so the irons will have a couple seasons of wear). 

Any input as far as if I should do this instead of going with the fitted Ping i irons for $750 4-P? 

There are basically two paths you can go down as your game develops: get a proper fitting now and hope it doesn't change very much over time or until your next upgrade, or just learn to play well with off-the-rack clubs and then you will always have that option.

I have managed to do both: my "custom spec" involves slightly upright lies and mid-weight shafts at standard length.  But I also have a couple sets of irons with "standard specs".  The difference in performance is minimal and I can adjust between them with small changes in my setup (grip and ball position).  Also bear in mind that "standard specs" vary between manufacturers and even within a given manufacturer's product line, so you really have to go by the spec sheet of the specific club you are interested in.  Many times you can fit a "custom spec" by identifying a "standard" that fits it: i.e. Taylormade for over-length, Mizuno for flatter lies, Titleist for heavier shafts, etc. etc.

In summary, you can't really go very wrong here.  And whatever issues you end up having out on the course probably isn't going to be caused by your club specs.  Just pick what you like and feel comfortable with.

Edited by Tee2Trees
  • Upvote 1

Just in case anyone is interested, I got fitted for some PING i irons today!! Approximately 10 days until they come in.. can't wait :banana:

Also, I hit like absolute poo today.. could that have possibly messed with my fitting? I'm 6'1", got fitted for x-stiff, Ping AWT 2.0 shafts, 3* upright. I was shocked by the upright, but it on the board with the tape on the ground I was bouncing off the toe first every time. 

10 hours ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

Just in case anyone is interested, I got fitted for some PING i irons today!! Approximately 10 days until they come in.. can't wait :banana:

Also, I hit like absolute poo today.. could that have possibly messed with my fitting? I'm 6'1", got fitted for x-stiff, Ping AWT 2.0 shafts, 3* upright. I was shocked by the upright, but it on the board with the tape on the ground I was bouncing off the toe first every time. 

Congratulations!

Good decision.  The Pings will last you as long as you want to play them.  After you have gotten used to them, you can check the lie on your own, or go back to the fitter, and get them tweaked if necessary, or for any swing changes.

You might want to chart the length and lie angle of each club so if you make changes you'll have a record of them.  Get the shaft specs.  That way you'll have a solid base to work from down the road for the next set you buy.  You're in college, setting up a spreadsheet should be a piece of cake.

John

Edited by 70sSanO
  • Upvote 1

On 9/10/2016 at 11:48 PM, shanksalot said:

Usually fittings are loft and lie and length of club and for your particular swing speed and tendencies. But for you or anyone it should be also about does the club look great to you when you are in the hitting position. Do you really like the clubs.

Above describes a static fitting. The lie angle, especially on irons, is critical. Most players set the lie angle of their swing fairly early in their golf career.

Shaft flex depends in part on swing speed, and how quick you are at the top starting your downswing.

Shaft length and grip thickness are also factors in a basic fitting.

Once your swing stabilizes, a more detailed dynamic fitting may be in order.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!