IGNORED

Training Cage recommendation?

Note: This thread is 2382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi folks. New golfer. I've been going to the driving range, and decided i want a training cage to put in my backyard to practice my swing between trips to the driving range. I saw that there are a ton of choices out there.  What would be a good recommendation from anyone who has used one.  Obviously, i want something that is very forgiving for any slices. Don't wanna hit a ball into my neighbor's yard, lol.  Thanx for any input...

One idea might be Google "DIY Golf Nets", and build your own. Plusses are you can make it any size you want, and you can save a some money.

The netting can be purchased at most war surplus store, and will last longer than commercial stuff. The frame can be built out of PVC pipe, or 3/4" emt conduit pipe.

With a little more research you might find a model that will return the ball to you. 

I built one years ago that also double as a batting/pitching cage for our youngsters. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2016 at 9:49 AM, Patch said:

One idea might be Google "DIY Golf Nets", and build your own. Plusses are you can make it any size you want, and you can save a some money.

The netting can be purchased at most war surplus store, and will last longer than commercial stuff. The frame can be built out of PVC pipe, or 3/4" emt conduit pipe.

With a little more research you might find a model that will return the ball to you. 

I built one years ago that also double as a batting/pitching cage for our youngsters. 

I'm looking to do this I have just a 6' x 8' net, I want to build a full cage so I can use real balls in my backyard. What kind of netting did you get from an army surplus store?

51 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I wanted to get this PVC one and a skytrac to go along with it: http://allsports-us.com/collections/golf-cages

But I have a small back yard and didn't do so as to help insure domestic tranquility (with my wife).

that looks like the one I have. Comes with corner fittings, and net. You then buy your own pvc pipes. If you go the EMT route, you will still have to buy the corner fittings and net. Having had both, I would recommend the EMT, but at least paint the corner fittings with rustoleum. see my post awhile back "Improved practice area". I will see if I can find the photo and post it here. The PVC is easy and light, but has a tendancy to "bow" under the weight.

If space is a limitation, you can build a frame out of PVC much like you see in school volley ball nets but use smaller mesh. You just need a few tee fittings, some 90 degree, and some 45 degree, and maybe a couple of end caps.  Harbor Freight has some poly mesh nets that would work also.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

5 hours ago, Slowcelica said:

I'm looking to do this I have just a 6' x 8' net, I want to build a full cage so I can use real balls in my backyard. What kind of netting did you get from an army surplus store?

5 hours ago, Slowcelica said:

It was just some netting. It was strong, stiff, and had an oily feel to it. This was quite a few years ago, and I honestly don't remember. I also used a bath towel where the balls would hit to save wear, and tear on the netting. 

In My Bag:

I am currently building this:

https://formufit.com/pages/pvc-golf-cage-frame

I bought the fitting from them. I am not using netting after being discouraged from doing so because it does not last unless you get the VERY expensive ones. I am using shade cloth.

Doug

2 hours ago, AbsoluteTruths said:

I am currently building this:

https://formufit.com/pages/pvc-golf-cage-frame

I bought the fitting from them. I am not using netting after being discouraged from doing so because it does not last unless you get the VERY expensive ones. I am using shade cloth.

I have used shade cloth on a one sided frame. I was able to hit a golf ball clean through it! One aspect of using a net, is that it is left slack to absorb the shock. (otherwise you've got yourself a vertical trampoline)

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

7 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I wanted to get this PVC one and a skytrac to go along with it: http://allsports-us.com/collections/golf-cages

But I have a small back yard and didn't do so as to help insure domestic tranquility (with my wife).

awhile back,I had posted plans for a one sided frame with a half-octogan base. I lost my old data base so I no longer have it,. @patch I believe posted a photo of it a few weeks ago. It can be made in any dimensions, does require a little math skills. I seem to recall the measurements were 7 ft tall, 8 ft wide across the top, but the base consisted of a 5 ft middle, and I think 2.5 ft angled sides, I also had an over hang at the top. It did not take up a lot of room, and was easily moved and/or disassembled, as I did not glue the fittings, but relied on friction to hold everything together. It served me well for a time, but once in a while, a wild shot would miss the sides, go over the top, or ricochchet off the shed, thus I went for the cage.  I also had and still have, a vinyl target, but warning...if you are concerned about domestic tranquility, it is in a word LOUD, when hit.

"James"

17 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I have used shade cloth on a one sided frame. I was able to hit a golf ball clean through it! One aspect of using a net, is that it is left slack to absorb the shock. (otherwise you've got yourself a vertical trampoline)

I am not going to hit directly into the shade cloth. I am going to hang something like a piece of carpet angling downward in the hitting area.

Doug

15 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

How does PVC hold up when a ball hits it a a high rate of speed ?

It doesn't. 

In My Bag:

1 hour ago, Natural Patrick said:

I think the schedule 40 pvc will hold up just fine until it gets old and brittle.

Doug

2 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

In my experience, I find that the grey pvc is less prone to breakage. The white seems to yellow and get brittle fairly easy. The grey, so far, no problems. I have broken the white pipe before, Some like to paint it with an acrylic or rubberized paint.

"James"

On 10/1/2016 at 5:06 PM, AbsoluteTruths said:

I think the schedule 40 pvc will hold up just fine until it gets old and brittle.

Couldnt you just get foam insulation and put it around the pvc to help protect it?

• 9 months later...

not to beat this thing to death, but after numerous iterations of building practice nets out of pvc, I have learned a few things:

1. PVC will bend in the heat, the white will also become brittle rather easy. The grey sked 40 conduit fares better.

2. Depending on what kind of net you hang, be aware it can be top heavy.

3. Space considerations and design are crucial for a base. You need to find the correct center for your uprights.

4. too close a weave on the net will make it more prone to wind and tipping over.

My conclusions: Height should not exceed eight feet, an hexagon or octagon  design is good for stability in the base. While the frame will usually hold together via friction, it does not hurt to at least glue together certain fittings that might be more prone to coming apart due to impact (hot weather has an impact as well).  You can add an angled "roof" but keep it short and keep in mind the center of gravity and you may need to move the uprights a little further to the back to compensate for the added weight in the front. Side "wings" will give you more confidence at least at first, but usually can be removed as your consistency improves. or leave in place if you like the look. Foam insulation could be used around the pvc, but the only problem is finding some with large enough diameter. An inch and half pvc will have an outside diameter of two inches.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

• Administrator

I've posted this in a few other threads, but I just got one of these and will be reviewing it here shortly: http://www.crocboxes.com.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!