IGNORED

Golf Video Games

imsys0042
Note: This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didn't see anything from a search, but has anyone played the new EA Rory golf game?   I was thinking about getting it for Xbox One but before I pulled the trigger I read some reviews that the game had some issues.   I stopped playing the earlier version (Tiger from several years ago) because the putting drove me crazy.  The prior EA Tiger version to that one was awesome, I really liked that.   And you felt like you really accomplished something when you beat Tiger at the end in a match.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I didn't see anything from a search, but has anyone played the new EA Rory golf game?   I was thinking about getting it for Xbox One but before I pulled the trigger I read some reviews that the game had some issues.   I stopped playing the earlier version (Tiger from several years ago) because the putting drove me crazy.  The prior EA Tiger version to that one was awesome, I really liked that.   And you felt like you really accomplished something when you beat Tiger at the end in a match.

I haven't actually played any of the newest ones, but from what I read the only major issue with the game was the lack of content (i.e. a lack of courses) at release.  I would assume that have remedied that by now, but I haven't looked into it for some time.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

1 minute ago, baller7345 said:

I haven't actually played any of the newest ones, but from what I read the only major issue with the game was the lack of content (i.e. a lack of courses) at release.  I would assume that have remedied that by now, but I haven't looked into it for some time.

I could see that.   Xbox One has an insane patching system.   I got my console yesterday and spent an hour doing patches and updates on the console.   Then the controller.   Then I put in Halo 5 and it was updating when I went to sleep.   New courses being added should be easy...

I'd be ok with a small number of courses as long as the game play is good.  The old PC versions had 5 or 6 (then you could add on) and the fantasy courses are neat too.

—Adam

I'm not sure if we have the newest Rory game or the one before it. Here are some thoughts:

1. Approach shots are really difficult for me. It seems like I can never predict if the ball is going to bounce forward or backward on any particular green. 

2. I'm not coordinated enough to hit the ball straight and power up the shot at the same time. My bruv has no such issues, so he's always got the advantage of watching my approach shots.

3. While the putting can be difficult at times, I think its generally fair.

4. The course selection is ok. More would always be nice. They also included fictional courses. While clever, I'd rather see real courses.

5. The announcers (Nobilo in particular) get annoying quick. They'll say sarcastic stuff and sometimes on a good shot.

6. Generally, I liked the feel of the older Tiger Woods games better. It's hard for me to really describe it better, but there's sort of a more mechanical feel with this game.

I haven't played the Rory game, but all the reviews I read when it came out were mediocre.

The Golf Club is the only other golf game for Xbox One. I do have that one, and it's solid. Half the price too.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

3. While the putting can be difficult at times, I think its generally fair.

5. The announcers (Nobilo in particular) get annoying quick. They'll say sarcastic stuff and sometimes on a good shot.

6. Generally, I liked the feel of the older Tiger Woods games better. It's hard for me to really describe it better, but there's sort of a more mechanical feel with this game.

The first version I had, putting was a little too easy.  The second version I had, it was horrible.  This was on the Wii and I had some type of extension to provide better accuracy on the controller.  I didn't last three holes with it.  Normal controller the putting was too hard.  A 8 foot putt that broke more than a little was impossible, more so that real life!

For the number of shots made in a game, they need many more comments.   It was very repetitive.  It gets grating if you play more than a couple of times per week.

I agree about the older games.   I think they were better and the custom options for your golfer got worse as time went on.   Less things to customize.

1 hour ago, jamo said:

I haven't played the Rory game, but all the reviews I read when it came out were mediocre.

The Golf Club is the only other golf game for Xbox One. I do have that one, and it's solid. Half the price too.

I saw that one too but didn't look into it enough.   I'll have to give it a second look.   Thanks!

—Adam

53 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

The first version I had, putting was a little too easy.  The second version I had, it was horrible.  This was on the Wii and I had some type of extension to provide better accuracy on the controller.  I didn't last three holes with it.  Normal controller the putting was too hard.  A 8 foot putt that broke more than a little was impossible, more so that real life!

I should have prefaced that we have Xbox One. The few times I've played anything on a Wii have been awkward to say the least.

30 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I should have prefaced that we have Xbox One. The few times I've played anything on a Wii have been awkward to say the least.

The system I was thinking of getting it for was the Xbox One.   The prior versions were on the Wii.   The first version on the Wii was great, I had a nice repeatable swing.   On the second, not so much.  But it was more the putting.

—Adam

Have not played the new Rory game but did used to play Tiger Woods quite often. It's funny I beat my buddy at Tiger Woods once, and he is a scratch golfer in real life. His response: "you know this is not like real golf right"? Haha..

I like to play WGT Golf on my phone. 

I play the rory game often on xbox one.  My favorite game was the TW Masters edition on 360.  Regarding the rory game, I'm mostly happy with it.  I would've liked to see more courses.  But the head 2 head game mode is fun.  I hope they really step it up for the next game, when ever that is.  They took a backwards step with this game, overall.  I play it just as well as any of the others, but it's not as diverse overall.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On 9/12/2016 at 9:57 AM, imsys0042 said:

I still play Tiger Woods 14 on 360 now and then.  Great game and a lot of courses too.

• 2 months later...

I got Tiger Woods 2010 at Gamestop the other day for $0.45... I also grabbed 2013 for $1.10.

With prices like this I dont know if can afford to golf next year!!! :whistle:

I took my old Nintendo out last weekend to play some old relics and had a ton of fun with the golf on it.  You guys remember that game?

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

You have to go a long way to beat Sensible Golf :-D

th?&id=OIP.Mde48353f47d7b494ceddf4b9844a27dao0&w=300&h=187&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I can't go that far, but my favorite old-ish golf game was Peter Jacobsons Goldten Tee golf on playstation 1.  I know they have the arcade style still, but this on the PS1 was a lot of fun when I was a kid.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

For you guys that play Tiger Woods/PGA Tour on the Wii, do you use a real practice swing with the controller, or do you do the little underhanded toss I see most gamers use?

2 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

For you guys that play Tiger Woods/PGA Tour on the Wii, do you use a real practice swing with the controller, or do you do the little underhanded toss I see most gamers use?

I do the whole swing.  I try to picture my own swing as I play TW on wii.

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

^^^ Good to hear. I am going to try doing that this weekend.. The colder it gets the less I want to take practice swings in the garage. 

Note: This thread is 1821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!